SatNav POI cache database on smartphone?

Years ago, when I was a more enthusiastic, new cacher, we had a TomTom car satnav (actually, technically a clone of such, with the TomTom software loaded), and one of the features I really loved was that I could use GSAK to upload a whole load of caches as POIs, and then have the TomTom go "bong" or "beep" or "baaa" etc when we were within a certain distance of a cache. And if we were so minded, we could stop the car, get out and find one.

That device has since bitten the proverbial dust, and with free offline satnavs such as Nokia Here etc working on the variety of satnavs that we have, I haven't had need or desire to buy a dedicated SatNav for the car.

We're just about to head out on our annual holiday, and I'd like to get some enthusiasm for caching back. So I googled a little to see how I could make Nokia Here, or Google Maps, or Apple Maps etc do what I wanted (on a choice of Android or iOS devices).

And found nothing?!?

Really? Do none of the (free or very low cost) smartphone SatNavs have audio prompts for proximity to a POI, availability of offline POI categories etc etc? Or have I missed something?

Help gratefully received!

matt

There are ways, but they all seem a bit faffy. Gsak can export POI in a number of formats, and I did get caching POI's working with one of the free satnav apps, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Personally, in your situation, I would use the free app, c:geo, to display a live map with caches. Might not go baa, but it does what you describe. Won't navigate at the same time (might in the background?) but maybe you have two phones? (You mention 'we')