List of challenging/brain twisting caches

Guest DisQuoi

Guest DisQuoi

I am interested in creating a list of caches in our Region that pose special challenges.

In particular, caches that:

• ? require careful research
  • ? involve solving of puzzles
  • ? require special skills/knowledge
  • ? include mathematical calculations
  • ? rely on use of geometry (my interest especially) and trigonometry
  • ? use aerial or satellite photos instead of coordinates
  • ? (add your own requirement here), etc.

As I "eat-up" the caches within a short drive of my home, I would like to identify caches within a days drive that merit such a trip.

If you own or have visited any such caches, please link them to your reply. If I receive any responses, I will eventually summarize the list into a single posting for everyone's reference.

I have a couple that may qualify for what you're looking for. The first is "Pennsylvania NGS Benchmark Recovery Cache", www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12865. You can do this one no matter where you are, and it takes a bit of research. You're not always successful, either, so there is a challenge. The other, about 5 hours away from you, is THE MYSTERY OF THE HARMONIST'S HOLD, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12302. This one is a multi-cache that requires some decoding, so it will occupy your mind. Check 'em out!

[This message has been edited by GeoNav (edited 26 January 2002).]

perhaps it is a sign that we need to create more caches around here that fit this description!

Hmmmm... easier said than done, though

The other option is to look at so-called LOCATIONLESS CACHES .... see this thread for cool ideas that you can do from anywhere.

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on March 23, 2002 at 09:10 PM.]

When I was in Sacramento last week I planned on looking for this very challenging cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9722

I didn't have access to a PC at the time, so didn't look for it,though I did walk right by the monument that had the password for the web page (but didn't bother writing it down).

Some of the local Geocachers said this is widely considered to be the best cache in the area.

Perhaps someone who is interested in placing a similar cache can contact the owner for the details of all the steps

The are five caches in NJ that you might be interested in. First is King Pellinore's "Minute", This is a very small cache hidden very well. Then there is Cweeks' Neshanic River Cache, this is one that we returned to three times. What's so fustrating about this on is you can see it but it's tricky to retrieve. Although, once you figure it out it's a piece of cake and you can be in and out in five minutes. There is also Good Fortune, by the Mighty King again. Marty621 hide Melvin's Multiple Madness which has yet to been recovered and was placed in February or so. Finally the last, but not least, NJ cache is Team Epitome's "Alluvial Material" This is another cache that it's hidden very, very well.

But, if you want the ubber-challenge, in Virginia, there is Blood & Guts in Virginia (aka. Iron and Stone) This on was born out of a specific location and basic puzzle. From that point my brother elaberated on the idea and hide two other virtual caches and created a five part multi that requiers serious math and logic skills. Not to meantion the fact that he made some of the physical challenges pretty strenuous.

BTW, if you have been getting lists off-line, let me know. I'd be curios to take challenge.

Nik

[This message was edited by Nik & Suzanne on July 22, 2002 at 09:28 PM.]

If you want to see some good examples from Seattle, check out any of the 'Flatland' or 'Leonardos Templates' series. The Flatland ones in particular require lots of geometry etc. in figuring out the cache location based on other points and their coordinates.