How many TC's are aviable?

lunatic shrink

As for the 5 characters long GC codes: even less than that, because not all characters are used.

Overall: more, because when we run out of GC codes with length 5, we just go on with 6.

Are you sure? I think it was post here once that when they run out of codes they are going to shutdown the game.

As for the 5 characters long GC codes: even less than that, because not all characters are used.

Overall: more, because when we run out of GC codes with length 5, we just go on with 6.

Well that would be a solution.

The reason of my question is: Ho do you prevent that a user simply guess a code and register it using one of the known registrations passes?

Are you sure? I think it was post here once that when they run out of codes they are going to shutdown the game.

I try to understand the structure of the game.

Is it possible to shut it down?

Yes. :ph34r:

What's a "TC"?

All I could think of is "trackable code".

And that's what the OP seems obsessed with.

B.

Yes I have to admit, this may be my obsession. I am half a lunatic you know. You should be alarmed.

Obviously Pup *was* alarmed. Hey, it's no worse than being obsessed with the caching Guidelines! :P

Anyway, it's an interesting and valid point. If the majority of available number combos get used, then nefarious guessers could post false finds! :yikes:

Yes. :ph34r:

Are micros part of the plan? :ph34r:

Obviously Pup *was* alarmed.

Don't speak for me, or try to guess if I'm alarmed or not. You don't have a clue.

Hey, it's no worse than being obsessed with the caching Guidelines!

Seriously?

Some people are interested in playing the game according to Groundspeak's Guidelines. They are interested in learning the do's and don't's and the proper etiquette.

Others prefer to be..."humorous".

Travel Bugs have their own subforum. Why is all this nonsense not in that subforum?

B.

Don't speak for me, or try to guess if I'm alarmed or not. You don't have a clue.

Seriously?

Some people are interested in playing the game according to Groundspeak's Guidelines. They are interested in learning the do's and don't's and the proper etiquette.

Travel Bugs have their own subforum. Why is all this nonsense not in that subforum?

B.

I'm sure that this new participant feels very welcome when you refer to the questions as "nonsense." Minutiae? Maybe, but why not talk about it if the OP wants to?

The fine points of the rules (which you specialize in) may be more important than the TB code details, but that doesn't mean the latter are irrelevant.

And as far as you chiding me to not speak for you, I would think that my use of this emoticon (:P ) after the sentence suggests I was speaking lightly.

So it appears that today you're not welcoming to newer members *or* older members.

As for the view that humor has no place outside OT, did you chide the poster who answered "yes :ph34r: " to the question of whether the game could be shut down when code numbers run out?

Really, isn't the game about having fun??

Seriously?

B.

I'm sure that this new participant feels very welcome when you refer to the questions as "nonsense." Minutiae? Maybe, but why not talk about it if the OP wants to?

The fine points of the rules (which you specialize in) may be more important than the TB code details, but that doesn't mean the latter are irrelevant.

And as far as you chiding me to not speak for you, I would think that my use of this emoticon (:P ) after the sentence suggests I was speaking lightly.

So it appears that today you're not welcoming to newer members *or* older members.

As for the view that humor has no place outside OT, did you chide the poster who answered "yes :ph34r: " to the question of whether the game could be shut down when code numbers run out?

So now I'm "not welcoming"? :rolleyes: I was told by this very OP to "mind my own business". WE are supposed to be polite and non-snarky in the Getting Started forum. Apparently, that doesn't apply to the newbies who post there.

Where did I say anything like "humor has no place outside OT"? I didn't. You are putting words in my posts that I didn't write.

I didn't "chide" anyone. Again, that's YOUR perception.

Please put me on your ignore list.

That way, you won't have to suffer through my posts where I try to help people learn the ways of the game. You obviously read a lot of those posts. If it bothers you so much, I don't understand why you do it.

B.

The reason of my question is: Ho do you prevent that a user simply guess a code and register it using one of the known registrations passes?

The GC number is assigned by the computer, not selected by the geocacher. Or, do I misunderstand your question?

What's a "TC"?

All I could think of is "trackable code".

And that's what the OP seems obsessed with.

B.

I would assume it was a typo, intended to be GC. The OP is trying to figure out how many 6 character GC#s remain.

Since 100% of his posts have to do with travel bugs and tracking codes I would venture a guess that is what TC refers to.

Seriously?

B.

So now I'm "not welcoming"? :rolleyes: I was told by this very OP to "mind my own business". WE are supposed to be polite and non-snarky in the Getting Started forum. Apparently, that doesn't apply to the newbies who post there.

Where did I say anything like "humor has no place outside OT"? I didn't. You are putting words in my posts that I didn't write.

I didn't "chide" anyone. Again, that's YOUR perception.

Please put me on your ignore list.

That way, you won't have to suffer through my posts where I try to help people learn the ways of the game. You obviously read a lot of those posts. If it bothers you so much, I don't understand why you do it.

B.

You do a good job informing new players of details of the game. We had a bit of friction here today, but now let's call a truce.

This OP's facination with TB's is unusual and interesting. One comment I'll make to his question about how the stated goal affects TB movement is that the effect is probably less than some TB owners want. Many will pick up TBS and just move them along, especially if the goal is only on the listing and not on the TB itself.

Also, the OP can look at random TB maps to see the travel progress. Less "scientific," but cheaper than sending out 100-200 TBS for "research purposes."

Edited by wmpastor

The GC number is assigned by the computer, not selected by the geocacher. Or, do I misunderstand your question?

I assumed he was talking about the "secret" TB codes, and meaning people could guess the code to armchair log TBs.

Anyway I just had a look at my trackables and the "secret" code is 6 characters, so the potential combinations is 36^6 = 2,176,782,336 which is somewhat larger than the OP figured.

I bought a sum of 15 dogtags on ebay by various traders. Every single one of them had the same activation password. That leads to the conclusion that the activation passwd is not a mathematical function of the tracking code. So why don't the people 'guess' their own tracking codes?

Edited by lunatic shrink

I bought a sum of 15 dogtags on ebay by various traders. Every single one of them had the same activation password. That leads to the conclusion that the activation passwd is not a mathematical function of the tracking code. So why don't the people 'guess' their own tracking codes?

Kat Brigade might know. :ph34r:

If there's a shrewd angle here, contact me by email. :ph34r:

I would guess that a code needs to go through two steps in order to "work." First, when the TB is sold, the GS computer "knows" that the code is ready to be activated. Soon afterward the purchaser activates it.

Before step one, the code doesn't exist.

Every single one of them had the same activation password. That leads to the conclusion that the activation passwd is not a mathematical function of the tracking code.

So why don't the people 'guess' their own tracking codes?

People DO log trackables by systematically entering codes. If a code works, they log the trackable (often then the codes end up on shared lists). If you have trackables on watch, especially older trackables with their shorter codes, you'll see this from time to time - http://coord.info/TB795D

I'm not sure what you mean "their own tracking codes"?

I suppose you could own/create a trackable listing by guessing trackable codes and activation codes. It would be a tremendous long shot though, and if the true buyer of the trackable with that code complained, the listing would simply get locked.

At one time activation codes were unique, but keeping track of them got to be monstrous issue, so now they tend not to be.