Feature Request - Ability to turn OFF Message Center

Zop

Please provide an option to disable the new Messaging Center for those of us who do not want to use the site for social networking.

I already have far too many places I have to check for messages and none of my caches require that anyone email me so it's completely wasted on me.

The old method was tried and true and worked just fine for more than the 8 years I've been using it. I would like to stick with it please.

Please provide an option to disable the new Messaging Center for those of us who do not want to use the site for social networking.

I already have far too many places I have to check for messages and none of my caches require that anyone email me so it's completely wasted on me.

The old method was tried and true and worked just fine for more than the 8 years I've been using it. I would like to stick with it please.

So if none of your caches require email contactwhat's the problem?

My problem is, i never think to look for messages. I realize that i can get used to it but i don't feel there is a need to. There are already good ways to get my attention if need be. I'd rather have a way to turn the feature off. At the same time, it would need to let people know on the other end, that i'm not accepting this form of communication.

There is another site i utilize that has this feature. I've had messages sent that i didn't notice for months. When i did finally get back with the person, they thought i i didn't care or that i was just ignoring them. There was one time where it caused hurt feelings on the other end. I don't do social sites and i'm definitely not into the texting fad. If you have my number, call me. If not, email me,,, It's just that easy!

Edited by Mudfrog

I get an email message when there is a new message in the message center.

The email message has the contents of the message center message.

then you can do a reply to the message in the message center.

I noticed this today. It is nice knowing that an email comes in as well but i'd still like to be able to simply hit "reply" in an email instead of having to go to my messages though.

I noticed this today. It is nice knowing that an email comes in as well but i'd still like to be able to simply hit "reply" in an email instead of having to go to my messages though.
Unfortunately, you don't get an email notification for every message received via the MC. You get email notifications for only some of them.

Unfortunately, you don't get an email notification for every message received via the MC. You get email notifications for only some of them.

Well then, i reinstate my sentiments in my first reply. Is there a bug in the system or is there some rhyme or reason to this?

My problem is, i never think to look for messages. I realize that i can get used to it but i don't feel there is a need to. There are already good ways to get my attention if need be. I'd rather have a way to turn the feature off. At the same time, it would need to let people know on the other end, that i'm not accepting this form of communication.

There is another site i utilize that has this feature. I've had messages sent that i didn't notice for months. When i did finally get back with the person, they thought i i didn't care or that i was just ignoring them. There was one time where it caused hurt feelings on the other end. I don't do social sites and i'm definitely not into the texting fad. If you have my number, call me. If not, email me,,, It's just that easy!

I completely agree with Mudfrog, and I really do not need another way to ignore the herd. I think a better solution would be to allow us to designate within our profile our contact methods

Well then, i reinstate my sentiments in my first reply. Is there a bug in the system or is there some rhyme or reason to this?
Basically, you get a notifications to remind you to come to the MC. Once you've been reminded, they try not to nag you with additional reminders when the same person posts additional messages. If they think you're currently on the MC, or have been on the MC very recently, then they try not to nag you with additional reminders. And there may be other situations where you don't get notifications.

Basically, notifications were set up to get you to come back to the MC, not as a bridge between the MC and email users.

Simple! Some cachers have been using it even though I don't have any "E-Mail Me" requirements. if I did, the message center would not apply in the first place as it's not email.

I already have far too many places to look for messages and a public email address just for geocaching and I'm not about to log into GC.com every time I get some message.

Email is tried and true, I can access it from anywhere in the world and can authenticate securely with my own mail server, I don't have to log into geocaching.com, and it is the only way I will reply to people.

Not going to use it.

Perfectly stated.

Are you trying to infer that replying to the email will reply to the thread in the message center?

Exactly - I can reply to an email message form a mountain top a whole lot easier than having to log into a web site and drill away to the correct page, thread, response etc.. and try typing into a web form.

Waste of time and energy.

Exactly - I can reply to an email message form a mountain top a whole lot easier than having to log into a web site and drill away to the correct page, thread, response etc.. and try typing into a web form.

You could always just install the free app and use the Message Center there. No website needed.

Are you trying to infer that replying to the email will reply to the thread in the message center?

That feature is being worked on AS WE SPEAK (replying to email will update the Message Center, that is...) - I don't have an ETA for release, but I can say we're working on it.

We're not looking into an opt-out, but the free Geocaching app also has Message Center in it; and will alert you when you have new messages. Also, when you log into the site there's an icon at the top of the page that will alert you (besides the email notifications).

Working on adding the option to get EVERY message in an email, too! No ETA, but working on it now!

You could always just install the free app and use the Message Center there. No website needed.

My GPSr doesn't use apps. How will that help me?

My GPSr doesn't use apps. How will that help me?

Your GPSr also doesn't send and/or receive email...so you have the same problem, then.

That feature is being worked on AS WE SPEAK (replying to email will update the Message Center, that is...) - I don't have an ETA for release, but I can say we're working on it.

THANK YOU, seandynamite.

Sincerely. Thank you. I'm still not a fan of the whole message centre thing, but this at least should make it usable.

Working on adding the option to get EVERY message in an email, too! No ETA, but working on it now!

Thanx.

I don't do social sites and i'm definitely not into the texting fad.

"Texting fad" ...?

tumblr_n0br6hFLlt1rmjplho2_400.gif

Sorry...just the whole comparison of the message center to a "social site" is about the most absurd thing I've read today...

I really wasn't trying to compare. I was simply stating that i don't use social sites or texting either. I'm set in my ways and for now, don't see any reason to change from something that works perfectly fine for me. To text back and forth for 15 minutes when the same conversation can be accomplished in 1 or 2 minutes just seems silly to me. The younger generation may be having fun doing this but i don't understand why it's so popular with so many.

But since you stated how absurd i was,, i'll say this. I have been on the big social site and know that it is set up very similar. Someone posts a message, then a reply is made, then the original poster posts another, and so on. Many people seem to like this format and it's obvious to me that GS's message center is being presented along the same lines.

i read the thread - i totally disagree with the idea of the messagecenter.

i also hope for a possibility, to turn it off. you can disable friend requests. .. you should disable this feature also.

on a smartphone you cannot use it and you dont need it.

the free app I have installed. and i will turn of the feature to bring up notices to the android system bar. it us annoying.

the main reason to deinstall the tool totally is the fact that is more useless than the app you pay dir. the older app is better. third party tools are better - yes. but the older gs app is better than the new one.

back to topic... it is very inconvenient to read the message... search the person on the website and write an email..... the old possibility withbemails and linjs to the prodiles was the vest and is still the best.

please give us the possibility of disabling the message center. it makes all more complicated. i will ignore in the future the questions answers and messages sent via mc. i will write that to my profile too....

To text back and forth for 15 minutes when the same conversation can be accomplished in 1 or 2 minutes just seems silly to me.

And using email for the same "conversation" often takes far longer than 15 minutes. Sometimes hours or days.

Honestly, I hate talking on the phone. Always have. I'm 40...not some "whipper snapper" kid. I just don't like talking on the phone to anyone. I rarely answer my phone for phone numbers I don't recognize, so it's rare that I even am willing to give out my phone number to someone I don't plan on having regular contact with. I'm not willing to let people call me while I'm at work or at home during dinner or to ask me about one of my caches. That leaves messaging as the next best option, in my opinion. I get so many blasted emails during the day, I often overlook them.

There are certainly ways to improve the system and many of the complaints are valid, but so much of this thread just reads like a bunch of grumpy old men who can't stand any kind of change and refuse to even acknowledge it as a valid communication tool

My profile now has a message in large letters telling people that I do not like the message centre. They can go ahead and use it, but they shouldn't expect me to be happy or receptive about their messages.

I've seen several profiles asking not to use MC... looks like it's catching on :ph34r:

My profile now has a message in large letters telling people that I do not like the message centre. They can go ahead and use it, but they shouldn't expect me to be happy or receptive about their messages.

I've seen several profiles asking not to use MC... looks like it's catching on :ph34r:

Yeah...and how's that gonna work out for ya when there's a "Message this owner" link at the top of the cache page? :rolleyes:

Yeah...and how's that gonna work out for ya when there's a "Message this owner" link at the top of the cache page? :rolleyes:

Simple answer? Works great. The one sending the message will, after a while, suspect something is wrong if they don't get an answer. Hopefully they will then check my profile and correct their mistake. :ph34r:

To text back and forth for 15 minutes when the same conversation can be accomplished in 1 or 2 minutes just seems silly to me.

And using email for the same "conversation" often takes far longer than 15 minutes. Sometimes hours or days.

Honestly, I hate talking on the phone. Always have. I'm 40...not some "whipper snapper" kid. I just don't like talking on the phone to anyone. I rarely answer my phone for phone numbers I don't recognize, so it's rare that I even am willing to give out my phone number to someone I don't plan on having regular contact with. I'm not willing to let people call me while I'm at work or at home during dinner or to ask me about one of my caches. That leaves messaging as the next best option, in my opinion. I get so many blasted emails during the day, I often overlook them.

There are certainly ways to improve the system and many of the complaints are valid, but so much of this thread just reads like a bunch of grumpy old men who can't stand any kind of change and refuse to even acknowledge it as a valid communication tool

Again, not trying to compare, just stating that i find it crazy to go through the motions of texting when a phone call can get the job done easier and faster. I'm not a phone person either. If at all possible, i want to converse face to face. Since it's not possible all the time, i use the next best thing. Phone if i can and then email next. If for some reason, neither are available, then sure, i'll use the message center or tap out something on the phone.

I'm not a grumpy old man but i'll admit that i am set in my ways. I used to go hog wild for the newest and greatest but have long since figured out that if something works well, go with it until something better comes along. Imo, the mc doesn't seem to offer any better functionality or reliability. It is similar to the social site format which is what so many people enjoy. I don't mind it being here but at this time, i choose not to use it with geocaching. It would be better for me to have the option of turning it off so that i didn't inadvertently miss a communication.