Safety

I hope all UK cachers are aware of this problem which seems to have been getting a higher profile in the news recently.

This is quite a dangerous plant and can be found along river banks among other places. If you get the spores on you and then these are activated by sunlight the effects can be quite horrendous it seems. Just be careful out there and consider covering up when routing round in foliage.

Yikes! I read about the symptoms and saw photos of the rashes, which look like a severe case of poison ivy - with potential effects lingering after the original illness. And it is also found in the Mid-Atlantic region of the eastern United States. We all need to recognize this tall plant with its large, ruffled leaves! :yikes:<_<

A search here shows 2 pages of threads on the subject.

Can't hurt to keep reminding folks of a weed that not only burns your skin, but can blind you. :yikes:

Luckily, here the state gets rid of it themselves if you report it, and they say it's eradicated in the NE part of our state.

Probably some still hidden away in the larger game lands.

A search here shows 2 pages of threads on the subject.

Can't hurt to keep reminding folks of a weed that not only burns your skin, but can blind you. :yikes:

Luckily, here the state gets rid of it themselves if you report it, and they say it's eradicated in the NE part of our state.

Probably some still hidden away in the larger game lands.

We have giant hogweed in Ontario, Canada, too.

Looks like Queen Anne's Lace.

What do I do if I’m exposed to Giant Hogweed?

If you come into contact with giant hogweed, seek immediate shelter since exposure to the sap makes human skin hypersensitive to sunlight.

Thoroughly wash exposed skin with soap and water.

If your skin reacts to the sap, seek medical attention.

If the sap comes into contact with your eyes, seek immediate medical attention since the sap can cause temporary or permanent blindness.

http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to/pests-and-diseases/beware-of-giant-hogweed/a/31773

http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to/pests-and-diseases/beware-of-giant-hogweed/a/31773/2

B.

Did you guys know that even domestic turnips cause the same rash? Apparently farmers have known about this forever. Its just being sensationalized by the media these days.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/leaves-turnips-parsnips-poison-85632.html

Parsnips

Juice and sap from parsnip leaves and stalks can cause a rash or skin blistering when the skin is also exposed to direct sunlight. Contact with parsnip leaves may also cause a skin discoloration that may last several months, according to the New Zealand Dermatological Society.

Around Alaska many call it "pooshki" or "pushki", a Russian-influenced colloquialism for cow parsnip or, in the UK, hogweed. It isn't Queen Anne's Lace at all.

Get the sap on your skin and expose to sunlight, and you've got a nasty rash...yup. Been there, done that.

At least I didn't decide to weed whip it like an unknowing guy in town did, and awoke to find the whole of his face, arms, and legs covered in a rupturing painful and itchy rash.