NY/NJ Deer Hunting Season

briansnat

Hunting season (and I don't mean cache hunting) is just around the corner. A Geocacher poking around the woods can sound a lot like a deer to a hunter in a tree stand, sipping a little too much brandy.

Here are the dates for NY Southern Zone:

Archery: Oct 15-Nov 17, Dec 11-15

Archery (Weschester county) Nov 1st - Dec 31st

Firearms: Nov 18 - Dec 10

Muzzleloader: Dec 11 - Dec 15

Also there is no hunting in Harriman and Bear Mtn State Parks. It is however allowed in Minnewaska and Sterling State Forests.

In NJ deer seasons are pretty complicated with dozens of Deer Management Zones (DMZs) that each have their own regulations and seasons, so I suggest you check the website: (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunting.htm) for info. BTW, NJ doesn't allow hunting on Sundays, so Geocache 'till your hearts content.

Of course there are other seasons too, such as small game and turkey, so check the above website for NJ info. For NY check http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/huntseas.html.

When Geocaching in hunting season take necessary precautions. If you like to Geocache in a suede jacket with a white tail tacked onto your butt and wearing branches tied to your head, don't do it!

Use common sense. Same goes for Geocaching while wearing any animal costume. A small group of hunters like to shoot at anything that moves, so please leave the horse costume, or chipmunk outfit at home while Geocaching during this time of the year.

Wear bright colors, talk loudly (that may piss off the hunters, but could save your life...well not if you piss them off too much) and if you hear some shooting, try a different spot.

Flame Retardant & Disclaimer: This is in no way meant to disparage the sport of hunting. I am not a hunter, but strongly support the right of those who enjoy the sport to do so. If you take offense at any of my comments, please realize that they were written in jest.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 14, 2002 at 10:37 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

A Geocacher poking around the woods can sound a lot like a deer to a hunter in a tree stand, sipping a little too much brandy.

I find that comment offensive. Not all hunters sit drunk from brandy in tree stands! I prefer Yukon Jack, and I'm too restless to sit so I tool around on my ATV while hunting. But I always wear orange because you never know what kind of an idiot is out there weilding a rifle. icon_biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, good idea. People need to be aware of their environment, including hunting seasons. I'm sure all state's web pages have info on what season is open and when. And definately don't forget the orange!

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

quote:

A Geocacher poking around the woods can sound a lot like a deer to a hunter in a tree stand, sipping a little too much brandy.

I find that comment offensive. Not all hunters sit drunk from brandy in tree stands! I prefer Yukon Jack, and I'm too restless to sit so I tool around on my ATV while hunting. But I always wear orange because you never know what kind of an idiot is out there weilding a rifle. icon_biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, good idea. People need to be aware of their environment, including hunting seasons. I'm sure all state's web pages have info on what season is open and when. And definately don't forget the orange!

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

I find that comment offensive. Not all hunters sit drunk from brandy in tree stands!

Thanks for straightening that out for me! I thought Brian was saying geocachers sound like tipsy deer. icon_wink.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

I find that comment offensive. Not all hunters sit drunk from brandy in tree stands!

Thanks for straightening that out for me! I thought Brian was saying geocachers sound like tipsy deer. icon_wink.gif

You don't have to dress in suede to look like a deer during hunting season. Being a bowhunter, myself, I can tell everyone, it is way too easy to be mistaken for a deer. The only safe clothing to wear is blaze orange or lime green, a hat of either color at a minimum. It is amazing how a person dressed in normal street clothes, not brown, can appear like a deer when partially obscured by brush. Responsible hunters never shoot without positively identifying their target, but mistakes can happen. This is especially true during the either-sex deer season, because a hunter does not have to look for 3 inch antlers before shooting a deer. Of course the best course of action is to hunt caches in hunted areas on Sundays when hunting is not allowed. The two sports can safely co-exist as long as common sense is used. IMHO it is disrespectful to go cache hunting where you might expect deer hunters to be

Time to break out your blaze orange. Today, while hiking I saw a lot of orange just off the trail. I passed by and there was a hunter sitting on a rock, shotgun at side, reading a book. We had a short chat and he said he had seen me walk by earlier and didn't say anything because he didn't want to startle me. Oddly enough, I didn't see him on the way in. I probably was paying too much attention to my GPS.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm hitting the nearest sporting goods store to pick up a blaze orange hat.

Remember, there is no hunting allowed in NJ on Sunday, so you can leave your orange hat home on that day.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Also there is no hunting in Harriman and Bear Mtn State Parks. It is however allowed in Minnewaska and Sterling State Forests.

Just a little note on the side.

I am out in the woods pretty much every other day, caching and other sports like biking and climbing and all I can say is just because it is not allowed or the hunting season is only such and such days, that does not mean S..T.

icon_mad.gifI have seen at several different locations hunters shooting with their guns even though the season was not even open yet and twice on State Park land where it was prohibitet to hunt. icon_mad.gif I do not hunt but I do not have a problem with the people that doo. It is pretty unfortunate that the few idi.ts out there braking rules and regulations mess up the reputation of safe and responsible hunters. All in all, do not rely on Season dates and Hunting Prohibited signs, these two things are not bulled proof.

ALWAYS RMEMBER: IT ONLY TAKES ONE IDI.T TO KILL!

I am not writing this because I want to scare anyone here but to make people aware that the potential to be the target of a rule braking hunter is there, even though it is small but there nevertheless.

Start September I am generally out in a orange safety west and I wear it until mid spring. icon_razz.gif

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

quote:
Originally posted by eagleflyby:

Just a little note on the side.

I am out in the woods pretty much every other day, caching and other sports like biking and climbing and all I can say is just because it is not allowed or the hunting season is only such and such days, that does not mean S..T.

icon_mad.gif

That's absolutely true. Last weekend, as I was returning to my car from a cache site in a nature preserve, I observed a bow hunter in full camo gear entering the woods right next to a "Nature Preserve ... No Hunting, Trapping, etc." sign.

quote:
That's absolutely true. Last weekend, as I was returning to my car from a cache site in a nature preserve, I observed a bow hunter in full camo gear entering the woods right next to a "Nature Preserve ... No Hunting, Trapping, etc." sign.

Thats when its time to pull out the cell phone and give DEC or the cops a ring.....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

I just found and was re-reading the NWCDC (Newark Watershed) property regulations and was surprised to rediscover that:

"Sept. 28 - Dec. 31: Hiking is permitted on all approved Watershed Hiking Trails on Sundays only to avoid conflict with hunters."

Perhaps the owners of caches in the NWCDC should place a note to this effect on their cache pages ... there are also restrictions in April and May that should probably be noted on the pages. (Hiking permitted weekdays and Saturdays after 1 p.m. ... I assume the trails are closed on Sundays during that timeframe.)