Functions and LUA Statements

bflentje

I am a .NET developer by trade and consider myself to be fairly intelligent (in regards to coding). But the whole notion of Functions and LUA statements within Wherigos I am really struggling to understand. I think the root cause of my issue is due to lack of comprehensive and centralized documentation.

Does anyone have any sources for integrating Function within cartridges, and LUA statements, and a complete API and syntax model for how to use both?

Wherigo uses an event-driven asynchronous model. Zones have events (e.g. OnEnter). These events are wired up simply by being present within the code. For input dialogs, the method call requires a callback to call when the user finishes inputting text. The Wherigo engine will not wait for an input dialog; it will continue running code, including zone events and timers, while a dialog is displayed.

My advice to you--and how we all learned the code necessary for Wherigo--is to look at a cartridge's source code. You can either build a cartridge yourself or you can download the code for any open source cartridge. I recommend my Battleship cartridge because it's fairly well commented. Another is The Fox, Chicken, and Feed. There's a section within all cartridges called "author script" (look for the phrase "Author functions go here"). This is where a lot of the fun custom functions are placed.

I think objects in lua are more like "objects" in JavaScript. And all variables are of variant type.

There's some API documentation on the Wherigo wiki; see my forum signature for the link.

Wherigo uses an event-driven asynchronous model. Zones have events (e.g. OnEnter). These events are wired up simply by being present within the code. For input dialogs, the method call requires a callback to call when the user finishes inputting text. The Wherigo engine will not wait for an input dialog; it will continue running code, including zone events and timers, while a dialog is displayed.

My advice to you--and how we all learned the code necessary for Wherigo--is to look at a cartridge's source code. You can either build a cartridge yourself or you can download the code for any open source cartridge. I recommend my Battleship cartridge because it's fairly well commented. Another is The Fox, Chicken, and Feed. There's a section within all cartridges called "author script" (look for the phrase "Author functions go here"). This is where a lot of the fun custom functions are placed.

I think objects in lua are more like "objects" in JavaScript. And all variables are of variant type.

There's some API documentation on the Wherigo wiki; see my forum signature for the link.

Thanks for the information. The top paragraph puts a lot of perspective on some wrong assumptions I was making about how they work.

And thanks for the note about the Battleship cartridge. Just last week I played with the one located in the Seattle area in preparation for our pilgrimage to geocaching mecca. I'll have to take a closer look at them both.