Chipotle renamed Tex-Mex and Mexican Chain Restaurants

Justification for this Category ;

"Waymarking Tex-Mex and Mexican chain restaurants will tell us something of the changing or unchanging taste for this style of food in cultures everywhere and how this taste is spreading to other countries and cultures."

Please help me develop the list of chains which will be included in this category to be structured like

"Burger Shops - Regional Chains". I think I would like to create a cutoff in the number of locations but I'm not sure what that cutoff will be yet.

Chain / Countries with locations / number of Locations

Chipotle / USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany / 1,595

Baja Fresh / USA, Singapore / 256

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Justification for this Category ;

"Waymarking Tex-Mex and Mexican chain restaurants will tell us something of the changing or unchanging taste for this style of food in cultures everywhere and how this taste is spreading to other countries and cultures."

Please help me develop the list of chains which will be included in this category to be structured like

"Burger Shops - Regional Chains". I think I would like to create a cutoff in the number of locations but I'm not sure what that cutoff will be yet.

This category is looking better now that it is not limited to just one resturant chain, but still nothing I find of interest. That does not mean that I would not support your idea.

Moe's Southwest Grill / TBD / TBD

Taco Time / USA, Canada, Kuwait, Curaçao/Netherlands Antilles / 300

Chi-Chis (remember them?) / China, Belgium, Luxembour, UAE, Kuwait, Indonesia / TBD

Chipotle Founded 1993 / HQ / USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany / 1,595

Baja Fresh Founded 1990 / HQ Irvine CA / USA, Singapore / 256

Moe's Southwest Grill Founded 2000 / HQ Atlanta / USA, Turkey, Russia / 550

Taco Time Founded 1959 / HQ Scottsdale AZ/ USA, Canada, Kuwait, Curaçao/Netherlands Antilles / 300

Chi-Chis (remember them?) Founded HQ / Benelux (17) China (2), Kuwait (1), Indonesia (1) / (=21) (check this site out In Belgium)

Taco Del Mar Founded 1992 / HQ Seattle / USA, Canada / 260

Mucho Burrito Founded HQ

Burrito Boyz Founded HQ

Taco Cabana Founded 1978 / HQ San Antonio TX / USA / 166

El Rancho (France) Founded 1991 / HQ Creteil France / France / 26

Enchilada (Germany) Founded 1990 / HQ Munich Germany / Germany / 33

Chiquito (Retaurant Group) (UK) -- Bought out Chi-chis in the UK -- Founded 1989 / HQ London / UK / 80

I think I "assumed" (ow!), given that this was about Chipotle originally, that this was just "fast food Mexican." Freebird's World Burrito comes to mind in that regard, and I've seen the Chipotle people visiting one near me, taking ideas from the Freebird's menu. If it includes chains where one can dine in, well, off the top of my head, here in Texas I've spent a few bucks at El Chico, On the Border, Don Pablo's, and Mi Cocina. Granted, I know where the good stuff (the REAL stuff) is, but some of these are OK in a pinch.

BTW, not to throw an oil slick, but the Little Caesar's category was shot down for its commercial nature some time ago, so you may have some convincing to do on this one (and some positive voting if YoSam chooses to resurrect the category...). Personally, since we're talking ethnic food, I've wondered why there's no "German Restaurant" category.

Edited by QuarrellaDeVil

I think I "assumed" (ow!), given that this was about Chipotle originally, that this was just "fast food Mexican." Freebird's World Burrito comes to mind in that regard, and I've seen the Chipotle people visiting one near me, taking ideas from the Freebird's menu. If it includes chains where one can dine in, well, off the top of my head, here in Texas I've spent a few bucks at El Chico, On the Border, Don Pablo's, and Mi Cocina. Granted, I know where the good stuff (the REAL stuff) is, but some of these are OK in a pinch.

BTW, not to throw an oil slick, but the Little Caesar's category was shot down for its commercial nature some time ago, so you may have some convincing to do on this one (and some positive voting if YoSam chooses to resurrect the category...). Personally, since we're talking ethnic food, I've wondered why there's no "German Restaurant" category.

What I'm struggling with is whether some of these are more "Regional Chains" and be better placed in the "Mexican Retaurants" category. I'm thinking that probably in order to qualify, the Chain needs to cross state lines. Also I'm thinking that for the USA, the chain needs to be present on both sides of the Mississipi (used as an arbitary separation between east and west america) otherwise it seems to me more of a regional chain which should be put in the Mexican Restaurants category.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Chain / Year Founded / HQ Location / Countries with locations / number of Locations

Taco Time Founded 1959 / HQ Scottsdale AZ/ USA, Canada, Kuwait, Curaçao/Netherlands Antilles / 300

Chi-Chis (remember them?) Founded 1975 / HQ Zellik, Belgium / Benelux (17) China (2), Kuwait (1), Indonesia (1) / (=21) (check this site out In Belgium)

Freebird's World Burrito Founded 1987 / HQ Austin, TX / USA (All locations West of the Mississipi) / 80

El Chico Founded 1940 / HQ Dallas, TX / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 100

On the Border Founded 1982 / HQ Dallas, TX / USA, Canada, Egypt, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Korea / 170

Don Pablo's Founded 1985 / HQ San Antonio, TX / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 27

Mi Cocina Founded 1991 / HQ Irving, TX / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 10

Taco Palenque Founded 1987 / HQ Laredo, TX / (I do not see on their website any locations outside of Texas)

El Pollo Loco Founded 1980 / HQ Costa Mesa, CA / USA - All locations West of the Mississippi / 399

El Pollo Regio Founded / HQ Dallas, TX / USA - All locations in Texas?

Mucho Burrito Founded 2006 / HQ Richmond Hill, ON / Canada, USA, UK / 80

Burrito Boyz Founded HQ / Canada - limited to Southern Ontario /

Taco Cabana Founded 1978 / HQ San Antonio TX / USA - All locations West of the Mississippi / 166

Chiquito (Retaurant Group) (UK) -- Bought out Chi-chis in the UK -- Founded 1989 / HQ London / UK / 80

Edited by RakeInTheCache

I think that the national and regional chains could be split into 2 categories, like for burgers.

Not to be a downer, for me the question is, while this category idea is clearly global (though I wonder about Mex In Europe in the same way I wonder about Mex E Of the Mississippi and N of Kansas -- not hatin', just sayin'!!) BUT is it interesting?

I understand the stated justification, but I would counter that places like Moe's or Taco Bell or places of that genre are not serving Mexican food -- our family terms for them is Mexoid. Mexicans don't put lettuce, cheddar cheese, or American sour cream on heir tacos (unless they are serving "Gringo tacos" -- which is a thing you see in the Rio Grande Valley or over the border in Mexico. REALLY.) So I don't know what the proliferation of Taco Time will tell us about the growth or spread of Mexican food, BUT -- if the COs are interested and if they think this will be a good category, then I welcome them to create it and thank them for the opportunity to discuss :)

I voted AGAINST the Little Caesar's category proposal for the reason that there are too many commercial categories already, and I don't find them fun or interesting to visit or to waymark. So RITC -- feel free to rescind my invite to join this category as an officer with no hard feelings, friend :)

I LOVE Mexican food :) I know where to get the great stuff, real comida como en su casa :) I know the diffence between Jalisco style, pure DF and Sinaloa regional flavors. Like QDV, I agree that in a pinch El Chico or Mi Cocina will do. But I prefer the tiny taquerias, the mom-and-pops, where they make their tortillas fresh and cook everything from scratch. The places where you better try them now because they may be gone in a month or two. God help you if the tacos are sublime and the taqueria goes poof!! There's no way of knowing if this amazing barbacoa taco will be your last -- in life or in this place, so better relish it while you can. From bitter experience I know that tomorrow the awesome San Luis Potosi-style taqueria across from Garland High School with the amazing green sauced chicharron tacos will be an instant no credit check auto insurance place, and there was no time to say goodbye.

And no, I don't think these teeny independent taquerias will make a good category -- even though they make great tacos. They are just too impermanent.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

What I'm struggling with is whether some of these are more "Regional Chains" and be better placed in the "Mexican Retaurants" category. I'm thinking that probably in order to qualify, the Chain needs to cross state lines. Also I'm thinking that for the USA, the chain needs to be present on both sides of the Mississipi (used as an arbitary separation between east and west america) otherwise it seems to me more of a regional chain which should be put in the Mexican Restaurants category.

I think you're on the right track, and I had in my mind that chains were a complete no-no over in the Mexican Restaurants category. For them, regional chains are OK, so it's up to us, the submitters, to do our homework to see where the likes of El Chico and Don Pablo's hang out.

I think you're on the right track, and I had in my mind that chains were a complete no-no over in the Mexican Restaurants category. For them, regional chains are OK, so it's up to us, the submitters, to do our homework to see where the likes of El Chico and Don Pablo's hang out.

In fact, the idea is to structure this category much in the same way as the regional hamburger chain category has been structured. Waymarkers will be able to pick from a drop down list of pre-defined chains. If the chain is not on the list, the waymark will be rejected.

What I would like to do in this message thread is to determine which chains will be included in the category.

In fact, the idea is to structure this category much in the same way as the regional hamburger chain category has been structured. Waymarkers will be able to pick from a drop down list of pre-defined chains. If the chain is not on the list, the waymark will be rejected.

Or if the chain is not on the list, it's up to the submitter to show why it should be added to the list, perhaps?

OK, I have taken your submissions and have first sorted them by what I consider National/International versus Regional Chains. My definition, a national/international chain must have restaurants which cross at least state, provincial, or regional boundaries. In the USA, a chain must have locations on both sides of the Mississipi to qualify as a National Chain.

I have then sorted the results by approximate number of locations in descending order.

Unless someone comes up with a good argument not to, I will go ahead and integrate the National/International chains into the category description.

Chain / Year Founded / HQ Location / Countries with locations / number of Locations

CLASSIFIED AS NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL

Qdoba Mexican Grill Founded 1995 / HQ Lakewood CO / USA, Canada / 641

Del Taco Founded 1964 / HQ Lake Forest CA / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 547

Taco John's Founded 1969 / HQ Cheyenne WY / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 400

On the Border Founded 1982 / HQ Dallas, TX / USA, Canada, Egypt, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Korea / 170

El Chico Founded 1940 / HQ Dallas, TX / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 100

Don Pablo's Founded 1985 / HQ San Antonio, TX / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 27

Chi-Chis (remember them?) Founded 1975 / HQ Zellik, Belgium / Benelux (17) China (2), Kuwait (1), Indonesia (1) / (=21) (Not including their Tumbleweed restaurants in the USA)

Mi Cocina Founded 1991 / HQ Irving, TX / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 10

CLASSIFIED AS REGIONAL

Taco Cabana Founded 1978 / HQ San Antonio TX / USA - All locations West of the Mississippi / 166

El Pollo Loco Founded 1980 / HQ Costa Mesa, CA / USA - All locations West of the Mississippi / 399

Freebird's World Burrito Founded 1987 / HQ Austin, TX / USA (All locations West of the Mississipi) / 80

Taco Palenque Founded 1987 / HQ Laredo, TX / (I do not see on their website any locations outside of Texas)

The posted URL did not work for me but I was able to review the categories description elsewhere. One of the variables is Rate this Restaurant. I was not around for the beginning of Waymarking. I have never understood this variable. Rate this Restaurant: do we still need to include this variable? As a waymark visitor, too often I have encountered this variable left incomplete by the waymark creator.

Whoa, look what I got when I clicked on my link. The site is unfortunately still stumbling !!!!

Server Error in '/' Application.

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: BC30560: 'controls_createneworphanlinkcontrol_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'.

Source Error:

Line 18: </asp:Panel>

Line 19: <asp:Panel runat="server" ID="uxOrphanControl">

Line 20: <uc1:CreateNewOrphanLinkControl ID="CreateNewOrphanLinkControl1" runat="server" />

Line 21: </asp:Panel>

Source File: E:\inetpub\www.Waymarking.com\Waymarking.Web.release-20150715.1.Release_16\controls\CategoryFilterControl.ascx Line: 20

Show Detailed Compiler Output:

Show Complete Compilation Source:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34248

OK, I have taken your submissions and have first sorted them by what I consider National/International versus Regional Chains. My definition, a national/international chain must have restaurants which cross at least state, provincial, or regional boundaries. In the USA, a chain must have locations on both sides of the Mississippi to qualify as a National Chain.

To add a global flavour to the proposal I checked the Mexican situation in OZ. I identified three National chains:

Mad Mex Fresh Mexican Grill

Salsa's Fresh Mex Grill

Zambrero

The first two have 28 outlets combined between them, Zambrero is more widespread.

To add a global flavour to the proposal I checked the Mexican situation in OZ. I identified three National chains:

Mad Mex Fresh Mexican Grill

Salsa's Fresh Mex Grill

Zambrero

The first two have 28 outlets combined between them, Zambrero is more widespread.

OK let's see how this works out.

CLASSIFIED AS NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL

Qdoba Mexican Grill Founded 1995 / HQ Lakewood CO / USA, Canada / 641

Del Taco Founded 1964 / HQ Lake Forest CA / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 547

Taco John's Founded 1969 / HQ Cheyenne WY / USA - Locations east and west of the Mississippi / 400

Salsa's Fresh Mex Grill Founded 2007 / HQ Melbourne, Australia / Australia (multiple provinces) / 54

Madmex Founded 2007 / HQ Sydney, Australia / Australia, New Zealand / 52

Zombrero Founded 2005 / HQ Sydney, Austrialia / Australia, Thailand, New Zealand / 45

Chi-Chis (remember them?) Founded 1975 / HQ Zellik, Belgium / Benelux (17) China (2), Kuwait (1), Indonesia (1) / (=21) (Not including their Tumbleweed restaurants in the USA)

CLASSIFIED AS REGIONAL

Yes it does look like there is a place for these restaurants here.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

The posted URL did not work for me but I was able to review the categories description elsewhere. One of the variables is Rate this Restaurant. I was not around for the beginning of Waymarking. I have never understood this variable. Rate this Restaurant: do we still need to include this variable? As a waymark visitor, too often I have encountered this variable left incomplete by the waymark creator.

I agree, I zapped it. I've added the chain name variable and here is the resulting category which I think should be pretty close to the one which is finally submitted.

The category

Please, anyone, let me know if you have any further feedback.

Thank you!

Edited by RakeInTheCache

This category proposal failed in Peer Review, just like I thought it would. This should be a warning to other Waymarkers thinking about proposing a national/international retail chain category that they will face an uphill battle getting seasoned Waymarkers to support them. The focus on new category proposals currently centers on the 'interesting and informative' aspect. Without this feature, one is just wasting their time.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said - the democratic process takes its course and here is the tally of the "beholders"

Out of 45 votes

Approve = 14 (31%)

Deny = 25 (56%)

Abstain = 6 (13%)

Hmmm, let's mull this over a bit...

Interesting numbers -- but what would really be helpful is knowing why folks abstained.

I for one am not an enjoyer of the commercial categories, at all. For me they are just a box to check off the icon grid. I know there are others who love them, but I voted no because I like the direction the community has been taking the game in over the last couple of years: towards the unique, obscure, and historical. Icons in those categories are a true joy to find because they are not ubiquitous or easily located. They are similarly a blast to research and write up :)

I am not trying to be ugly or negative at all -- I respect to the efforts of those who wrote up and conceived of the category. I just frankly do not see how any commercial category could be successful in this grown and changed hobby.

When I talk to cachers about Waymarking, they always snort and tell me how lame it is to take pictures of IHOPS and McDonalds -- by then it is too late to covert them to the wonders of Waymarking. They have decided long ago that Waymarking is lame in a way that scrawling initials on a park and grab is not, I guess.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Interesting numbers -- but what would really be helpful is knowing why folks abstained.

I for one am not an enjoyer of the commercial categories, at all. For me they are just a box to check off the icon grid. I know there are others who love them, but I voted no because I like the direction the community has been taking the game in over the last couple of years: towards the unique, obscure, and historical. Icons in those categories are a true joy to find because they are not ubiquitous or easily located. They are similarly a blast to research and write up :)

I am not trying to be ugly or negative at all -- I respect to the efforts of those who wrote up and conceived of the category. I just frankly do not see how any commercial category could be successful in this grown and changed hobby.

When I talk to cachers about Waymarking, they always snort and tell me how lame it is to take pictures of IHOPS and McDonalds -- by then it is too late to covert them to the wonders of Waymarking. They have decided long ago that Waymarking is lame in a way that scrawling initials on a park and grab is not, I guess.

I guess its about diversity. I do believe that chains, their coming and going, and their longevity, are interesting subjects. Wow, some of us are interested in old Ho jos, and old Burger chef's. It's nostalgic. Some of the more recent chains could hold nostalgic value as well (maybe not all of them today, but sometime in the future). In researching this category, I was fascinated to learn that Chi-chis continues to exist, albeit no longer in the U.S. but rather in Belgium.

I also lead a number of other categories which the chain naysayers might find more interesting. I happen to believe there is room in Waymarking for diversity - both the obscure and what some might find more "mondane".

And I frankly don't understand why those who are not fond of the category are not willing to let others who are enjoy their interests. It really is as simple as excluding any category that you don't like. It disappears completely from your experience. For me, there is absolutely no reason to discriminate in this way. Many responded by saying the category was well written and had positive qualities but voted no anyway. Does seem a bit harsh to me.

Some responded that they were not happy that a long description was not required. Hmmm, well what do you say about these locations? I guess you could say something about when it opened, etc but I think most often waymarkers won't have access to this information. Because a location doesn't have a long description, doesn't make it any less interesting to know that the restaurant is there today, has existed at least since it was waymarked, or has closed.

There were obviously too many "nos" for them to have all expressed themselves in the forum. I really wish that those who voted "no" had taken the time to express their opinions in the forum so the issues could be discussed openly and perhaps we could arrive at a solution to the objections that could be acceptable to the majority.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

I get the same thing when discussing Waymarking with other geocachers. They just see the site as lame commerical listings and those awful pay phones. The ones that are avid Waymarkers with the let's Waymark everything and make another grid to fill have steered this site into a rut it will never get out of. Just my two cents, but I don't understand Waymarking common everyday non-interesting things like resturants of any kind, and I'm glad that most of us agree on this according to what I'm seeing in peer review.

The ones that are avid Waymarkers with the let's Waymark everything and make another grid to fill have steered this site into a rut it will never get out of.

Sorry, don't see the connection between commercial categories and any "rut". I think the number of non-commercial categories far outnumbers the commercial ones (or the payphone type of category for that matter). And I don't think it's about Waymarking everything. More like Waymarking something that a certain population has an interest in.

The ones that are avid Waymarkers with the let's Waymark everything and make another grid to fill have steered this site into a rut it will never get out of.

Sorry, don't see the connection between commercial categories and any "rut". I think the number of non-commercial categories far outnumbers the commercial ones (or the payphone type of category for that matter). And I don't think it's about Waymarking everything. More like Waymarking something that a certain population has an interest in.

I think that Waymarking has ran it's course. There are lot's of interesting categories here and it only takes a little time to learn to navigate the site. I just think that resturants belong in a phone directory and not a virtual geocaching site. B)

Waymarking has became a drive-by all about the numbers fill a grid game, and I don't see it attracting any new interests.:(

Waymarking has became a drive-by all about the numbers fill a grid game, and I don't see it attracting any new interests.:(

I think the beauty of the hobby is that it is flexible enough to appeal to many different kinds of interests (even those who like statistics).

I think, as in a number of areas, inclusivity is better than exclusivity.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Hmmm, let's mull this over a bit...

Not really much to mull over. It is near impossible to get a commercial category through peer review and has been for a few years (too bad it didn't start a few years earlier). And chain categories fare worse. If it was put to the current Waymarking community to vote off 50 current categories (not something I am proposing) at least 45 of those would be commercial categories and most of those would be chains. Others would be categories with such low numbers world wide they don't really support a category.

Not really much to mull over. It is near impossible to get a commercial category through peer review and has been for a few years (too bad it didn't start a few years earlier). And chain categories fare worse. If it was put to the current Waymarking community to vote off 50 current categories (not something I am proposing) at least 45 of those would be commercial categories and most of those would be chains. Others would be categories with such low numbers world wide they don't really support a category.

For me, the far greater issue with Waymarking in terms of its longevity is the problem of abandoned categories. Sorry Bruce, but I think time would be much more productively spent finding a way to automate the replacement of absentee leaders than in voting off categories.

For me, the far greater issue with Waymarking in terms of its longevity is the problem of abandoned categories. Sorry Bruce, but I think time would be much more productively spent finding a way to automate the replacement of absentee leaders than in voting off categories.

I was not recommending removing categories, just indicating my feelings of what would happen if such a vote was held. As far as abandoned categories, this is pretty much under control. Groundspeak periodically generates a list of categories which have pending waymarks over a specified number of days and these are dealt with.

I enjoy many of the commercial categories. I will offer assistance to creators of new commercial categories that interest me. I might represent a significant percentage of waymarkers. True confession: I will choose the abstain vote when I am unable to articulate my reasons for voting no.

Some responded that they were not happy that a long description was not required. Hmmm, well what do you say about these locations? I guess you could say something about when it opened, etc but I think most often waymarkers won't have access to this information. Because a location doesn't have a long description, doesn't make it any less interesting to know that the restaurant is there today, has existed at least since it was waymarked, or has closed.

Many local newspapers are now on line. Such newspapers often publish details about openings or anniversaries of local retail businesses.

Most local librairies maintain a collection of local city directory material. Research of such directories will reveal details concerning the life of a retail business.

It just occurred to me, there's something that seems strange about the voting. In more than one case I had responses like -

"As with the others who voted to deny", or "As already stated by others"

Does this mean some voters are able to see the responses of other voters before the vote is completed?

This seems really strange :blink:

It just occurred to me, there's something that seems strange about the voting. In more than one case I had responses like -

"As with the others who voted to deny", or "As already stated by others"

Does this mean some voters are able to see the responses of other voters before the vote is completed?

This seems really strange :blink:

Have you ever taken part in the peer review process here? I find it strange that you did not know that we can view other Waymarkers votes and comments if they choose to make them public.

In this case, most of us agreed that Waymarking has enough commercial categories and this one failed the interesting criteria, but did agree that a lot of work went into creating it. :o

Have you ever taken part in the peer review process here?

Yes I have. Admittedly not a regular at peer review.

I find it strange that you did not know that we can view other Waymarkers votes and comments if they choose to make them public.

Well I just learned something!

Edited by RakeInTheCache