Looking for a cache and finding someone else looking for it at the same time

Is there any form of etiquette for what you should do if you go to a cache location and find another cacher looking for the same cache? Should you team up with them and look for it together? And if you do, and only one of you finds it, can you both sign the logbook? Or should you leave them to it and come back another day?

I am conflicted on this issue myself. I don't think it is really fair for me to log a cache if I didn't find it. But on the other hand, it seems strange just to leave a cache location if you find someone else there, especially if you've travelled some way to get there.

Edited by viennesewaltz

Well as long as your name is on the logbook you can log it online. Doesn't matter if you're alone or not. As for before you get your name in there, well it depends. Sometimes you team up. It may be a hard cache, you may be a new cacher not knowing what to look for, you may be short on time, whatever. Or you may wait. Perhaps it's a puzzle to open the cache, or a night cache you want to try, or such a good hide and you want to try for yourself. Or perhaps you're out with a friend-your not going to go back to the same location when you've already been there. It's up to you, and situation dependant. Ultimately all that matters is that you sign the log. As much as the CO wants, they can't dictate how you get to the log(although some things like breaking open the container would just be plain rude)

"Mind if I join you?"

Although that's if you want to be strictly polite. The culture in my area is such that another searcher is always welcome, so most people don't bother to ask, they just say "Hi", introduce themselves if they haven't met before, and start searching.

In my early caching days, I also felt as you do... not sure if I should join (also not sure I wanted somebody else to join me) but once I got to know a few other cachers, those feelings went away, and geocaching became more of a social thing than it started out to be for me. Join in, and welcome others to join you. You'll make more friends that way.

It's great when you meet someone out in the field. Team up for the find, you both get to sign the log no matter who actually finds it first. Think of it this way, each of you were eliminating places that it was not, until one of you determined the place where it was. You both earned the find.

Sometimes you will then decide to go hunt another one together, it is fun with friends (and this from a solo cacher).

Sometimes, when caching with others, after one sees it they will back off and let the other one find it for themselves as well. Some will mention that they saw it, but not retrieve it until others see it too. Others just announce it, retrieve it, they both sign, and move on. This is just a style of play that is different in different groups and areas.

When meeting someone else at a cache, I've always asked if they wanted me to share the hiding spot if I find it first. Just as when I go with friends.

Some times people like to share the spot with everyone there, hunt over and cache found. Other people would like to have you stand back after you find it,(if possible) and let them find it before retrieving and signing the cache.

Thanks for all the interesting responses. The reason I've been thinking about this is because of the upcoming road trip to find a D5 or T5 cache. Well, I'm not really interested in T5s but I would certainly be interested in finding a D5, however there is only one of those in my area. So it's not unlikely that there will be a fellow cacher there at the same time looking for it. On the one hand I've been thinking that it would be a very satisfying thing to find it myself and therefore that I would rather not team up with anyone at the location. On the other hand I think the above answers are probably spot on in that there is also a lot to be gained from teaming up. I will see how it goes when I get there.

Edited by viennesewaltz

When we see people near GZ from a distance we tend to wait to get closer and let them log first. No problem in having a chat with fellow cachers but we like to cache on our own. It's no fun having the container/log handed over.

Fortunately on longer multi's you hardly see anyone, doing a series in the first few weeks after publishing however can look like an event.

Is there any form of etiquette for what you should do if you go to a cache location and find another cacher looking for the same cache? Should you team up with them and look for it together? And if you do, and only one of you finds it, can you both sign the logbook? Or should you leave them to it and come back another day?

I am conflicted on this issue myself. I don't think it is really fair for me to log a cache if I didn't find it. But on the other hand, it seems strange just to leave a cache location if you find someone else there, especially if you've travelled some way to get there.

For some geocaches out there, another set of eyes is a welcomed addition. In all my years geocaching I think I have been joined by others probably a handful of times, and it has been a good experience. You get a new perspective, plus the other set of eyes.

I like to be alone most times, and rare that the caches I hit now have a waiting line.

Today I found one that sat three days just because it's a mile in, and I was the ftf.

No one wants to walk anymore...

Anyway... When CJ would drag me around or get conned solo for park & grabs, cache N dashes, whatever you want to call 'em, I appreciated the fact that there was another person there.

I ask if I can join in when I see another in an area, in case this is the day they found out their spouse was cheating, the cat died, whatever, and wants to be left alone.

Most don't ask when they see me there first, as they know I appreciate the help (not really wanting to be there in the first place). :laughing:

I have ran into other cachers multiple times while out caching. Most of the time we join together while on the hunt for the cache while trading caching stories. Sometimes we hit a few other together, other times we have found the one together and then head our separate ways. I haven't got a FTF yet, and it isn't a big deal to me until I happen on that FTF cache LOL.

Taking it one step further, I was driving by a cache that I had already found, and stopped when I saw cachers looking for it. My opening line was, "Have you found it yet?". They hadn't, and had already spent some time, so they asked to verify that the cache still there. I was able to verify that the cache was missing, so we were able to log a NM on the cache. They were on a geocaching vacation, and had a ways to go before stopping for the night.

Skye.

Edited by Wet Pancake Touring Club

I like to walk up all questioning like and ask if they are looking for something. Then get the weird answer! Then laugh and join in to find. It is great to meet other cachers and I enjoy it. I am not worried if I find it first or the other cachers do. Especially now. I have found over 3000 what is it going to matter. If it is a interesting camo I will still get to see it and appreciate it.

One of my favorites was I got a FTF on a cache and texted the CO to tell him something about it and he said another cacher was on his way and should be there shortly. I was logging it from my phone when I seen the other cacher walking up from a distance. I opened my car door and asked if he was looking for something? He was so confused. Then I let him know who we were and we chatted for a bit.

Usually when I meet other cachers, I get too caught up chatting with them to worry about who found the cache.

Yep, I've run into other cachers twice now, and both times we were so busy chatting that the actual logbook almsot didn't get signed the one time. I have had soemone come across Me once, and they asked politely if they could help hunt. I said sure, but they decided to grab another one nearby, and then return to that one, so we could both "Find" it on our own. So, I guess it all depends on the person. :)

Never hurts to ask though.

There are very few (if any) official rules about geocaching. I don't even think there is any official way to record FTFs. You do what you think is correct. It is very rare for me to encounter someone while geocaching because I am way out in the woods, but when I do encounter one we merrily look together. My personal philosophy for FTFs in this case would be whoever spots it first gets the FTF. People value different things, Sometimes its the FTFs sometimes its the numbers, someones badges. Me, I like to find a cache that haven't been found in years, and i value it more if i get there by non-motorized means.