Should I send out Travel Bugs

paticpatic

I starting Geocaching last month with the android app. I ride my bike every day and thought it would be fun to incorporate Geocaching with my rides. I have around 45 finds including moving some Travel Bugs around. We live in the county and have hundreds of feet of road frontage. I started creating my own Geocache in one of our road-side fence posts. I hope to finsih my cache in the next few weeks. My question is about Travel Bugs as I find them very interesting, but I hesitate to send my own Travel Bugs out because of the negative comments I read in these fourms. I ordered 4 Travel Bug Tags and not sure if I should send some and be disappointed. I will probably send less money on a personal Travel Bug becasue I don't want to loss much money when they get taken, and I will mark them as Don't Keep.

My view as a NOOB it the smart phone app has no ability to log TBs. If I Geocached using only the app, I would probably think these items are mine to keep, if you don't take time to read the Travel Bug. The Web site contains the info about Travel Bugs and using the app could cause people to not know what they are doing and keep Travel Bugs. That's just my NOOB observation.

I agree, last I checked the apps do little it seems for educating a new person on trackables.

Since you already purchased four TBs, sorta cheap enough to experiment yourself with what makes 'em continue traveling.

To me, it seems the uglier it is, the best it travels.

Few want to keep a nut, key fob, or zipper pull, but some little girl sees a Frozen plush character, it's history. :)

I suggest using small cable or a key ring to attach something to the tag, rather than that flimsy chain.

BTW, the tag already says "Don't keep me" on it, and they still sometimes go bye-bye.

The good & bad thing about this hobby is anyone can play.

My view as a NOOB it the smart phone app has no ability to log TBs. If I Geocached using only the app, I would probably think these items are mine to keep, if you don't take time to read the Travel Bug. The Web site contains the info about Travel Bugs and using the app could cause people to not know what they are doing and keep Travel Bugs. That's just my NOOB observation.

If you can't handle loss, keep your TBs. Once placed, they're in the wind. There are a ton of things that happen besides vanishing, that can become frustrating. But once a TB is gone for good, it can be revived. The tracking number is recyclable. At that time, make a new version of the TB, and try another idea. I make my "lost" TBs into much fancier versions, and they stay with me.

The vast majority of TB mishandling is caused by people who know better. It's not an App issue, it's a sticky finger issue. And as you've seen, the text on a TB is easy to understand, App or not. If there's a doubt, remind everyone that they can place a TB into a cache (and it fits in the cache where it was found) without any log at all, that it is not to be kept, is to be placed into the container, and the intent is for it to go cache-to-cache.

At some point any cacher can get a clue, or a friend or relative may notice the TB, and it returns to play, even years later. That's the fun of Trackables -- you never know what will happen next!

Edited by kunarion

My view as a NOOB it the smart phone app has no ability to log TBs.

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with iPhone

1.17. How Do I Log Trackables on the iPhone App?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=279

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with Android

3.14. How do I log a trackable?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=463

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with Android

3.15. How do I drop a trackable?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=581

B.

My view as a NOOB it the smart phone app has no ability to log TBs.

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with iPhone

1.17. How Do I Log Trackables on the iPhone App?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=279

I wonder if the App is robust enough to allow logging of a mishandled TB? It's a breeze if the TB is in the cache in which it was found. If not, things get complicated, even if all the logs are in fact being made properly -- say, someone without an App took it an hour ago. What happens if you try to log a TB and it ain't right -- does the App just pop up a big red DENIED message? ;)

Idea: If the App were to make an autolog on the cache page, and a Note on the TB page, that might allow others to help a "NOOB" unscramble the TB. "Took TBXXXX (Reference Number Only), which is not listed in this cache Inventory".

Edited by kunarion

Paticpatic, which app are you using? Paid, or intro?

All three links by Pup Patrol are for the paid app. One even says paid, while the others have the (here we go again...) new title of Geocaching app.

- I agree with Pup, the Geocaching app works well with trackables.

Sorry, guess I just assumed you were using Geocaching Intro.

The android Geocaching Intro says that an "Upcoming feature" will be trackables, with that confusing wording again that looks like if you go PM with the Intro).

Edited by cerberus1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was using the intro version, as I didn't know there was a paid version, so I am downloading it as I type.

The paid version does include Trackables, thanks. I will start my TBs by buying plain cheap items and attach them with a keychain not the chain with the tag, again, thanks for all the advice.

Edited by paticpatic

My 2¢... Send out the bugs. Realize that they have every chance of becoming lost.

With that in mind, appreciate every day and every stop they make.

There are better things to worry about. Send 'em and enjoy 'em.

Lose some? Send out more. The more you send out, the less you worry about the individual one -- and, the more you enjoy those that DO move well.

I will start my TBs by buying plain cheap items and attach them with a keychain not the chain with the tag, again, thanks for all the advice.

I've placed a bunch of coins and TBs. The Geocoin that endured and traveled the longest, was a "gold pirate dubloon". Go figure. :laughing: