Night Caches

One of the first night caches I ever found was a great one. It was about 10 years ago. The cache is still active, but I think it's in disrepair.

The starting point is an old country cemetery along a back road. It was a very peaceful place...until the sun went down. Here is my log from when I found it.

Niiiice. After caching around Jasper all day, I finally made it to the out-of-the-way cemetery...alone. As I waited for darkness to fall, I gathered my things, anticipating what would befall me in the country burial ground. I waited...and waited. Finally, it was dark enough to begin, the peaceful cemetery quicking turning into a very creepy place. I found my way through the woods no problem, though my GPS 'breadcrumb' feature was not helpful...I couldn't keep a lock on the sats. Found the cache, chuckling at the presentation. The TB I was going to pick up was nowhere to be found, alas. The logbook was very damp, so I left a new one in a baggie. I took a spider ring, left a geocoin. since I wasn't sure of the way back out, I found the old road next to the cemetery and followed it out (plus, I didn't want to walk back through the cemetery!). No haints or spooks ruined my trip. TFTC!

Here is a picture of the starting point, after dark.

c6b47409-71b5-4c40-8ec4-5ff47f384fb3.jpg

And here is what the cache container looked like 10 years ago. Quite a surprise in the woods at night...

981bf60a-7627-45d7-9ca8-11c8e6609c22.jpg

Something not mentioned in the log: As I started my adventure alone, not far from the back of the cemetery, a giant hare jumped right in front of me. His eyes glowed red in my flashlight beam, and he just stopped and stared for what seemed like forever. I really almost just packed up and ran back to my truck!

One of my favorite night caches incorporated several elements, including a reflector trail, UV-required fluorescent writing, tree climbing, a scytale (with a cylinder at one stage and a leather strip at another), and a pulley-clothesline stage.

One of the hard things about doing night caches around here is finding a location. In addition to the general cache saturation of the area, most parks close at sunset or half an hour after sunset.

One of my favorite night caches incorporated several elements, including a reflector trail, UV-required fluorescent writing, tree climbing, a scytale (with a cylinder at one stage and a leather strip at another), and a pulley-clothesline stage.

One of the hard things about doing night caches around here is finding a location. In addition to the general cache saturation of the area, most parks close at sunset or half an hour after sunset.

I know you are a little further south but some of the East Bay park's curfew are at 10pm. What I don't like is you can't see the PO that well or the cow pies.

We found several in Germany that were great.

One of my favorites was Night Shift III - 300 km/h, outside of Frankfurt (named because it was placed on land around the high speed ICE train line). One of the stages was a reactive light -- it had a small photovoltaic cell, so if you shone your light right on it, it powered an LED that lit up for a few seconds.

Our first night cache, One Night in Kreuznach, was very cool as well, though it would have been more fun if we had found it just the two of us and not as part of a big group. The penultimate stage was hidden at the base of a post and contained a laser pointer. If you put the pointer through a hole in the post, it pointed to the location of the final.

(Neither of these are spoilers, as both caches are now sadly archived.)

My favourite night caches are located on Point Nepean, Victoria, Australia. They start amongst the buildings of the former Army Officer Cadet school and the former quarantine station and take you down a variety of bitumen and dirt tracks to the gunnery ranges of OCS and then the buildings of both Fort Nepean and Fort Pearce. The barracks, gun emplacements, generator room and ammunition stores. Many of these buildings are multi level and your GPS won't help you work out which level you're supposed to be on. ;) With the ocean of Bass Strait on one side of the peninsula and the usually calmer waters of Port Philip on the other, this is an exciting place to do night caches.

Black Ops

Coles Track

A Girls Night Out

Edit: Formatting.

Edited by biggles1024