Bangs Overlook bench mark

Gartherik

I found this bench mark and wanted to either log it or at least find its datasheet. It is located near the Bangs Overlook geocache off Little Park Road, south of Grand Junction, CO. It was near the highest point on the overlook. I only took one picture and made one waymark. My Dakota 20 GPS shows it as N 38 59.433 W 108 36.888, elev. 6450. I read the post about searching for datasheets and logging bench marks. I couldn't find a datasheet for this (triangulation station mark, I think) at NGS, this site or Waymarking.com. I searched for Haystack in the NGS archived datasheets for CO.

As this is my first attempt at logging a bench mark, maybe I didn't do a complete search. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

20150712_Haystack_3_Point_zps96gjedpy.jpg

A lot of UGSS disks were not incorporated into the database of the NGS - a separate agency.

USGS still uses paper datasheets & can be requested by emailing the addresses below:

For Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, and all states west of these, use the WESTERN USA email account: infoservices@usgs.gov

For all remaining states, use the EASTERN USA email account: mcmcesic@usgs.gov

(info pulled from this thread - USGS Recovery Thread)

You would want to provide the USGS quad the mark is located in - I believe the 7.5' (1:24,000) quad is 'Island Mesa'.

Although this BM can't be logged on the Geocaching site, you could update the paper datasheet of the USGS & email it back to them and/or create a waymark in the US Benchmarks category over at Waymarking.com - another BM from not too far away is listed there - Cold Shivers Point

Edited by Ernmark

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! That's an interesting thread you hyperlinked.

Cold Shivers Point is aptly named, it's a fin of rock about four feet wide with a dizzying drop on one side. I've only been out there once and, yes, remember a bench mark on it. I can't imagine anyone up there pounding out a spot for a disc!

Edited by Gartherik