What's weird in NJ?

lostinjersey

As most of you NJ'ians know I run a website based upon stuff in Weird NJ and I've placed several weird nJ geocaches (several?) I have compiled a list of geocaches based on weird NJ or which features something that might warrant being in the magazine. I'm now turning to my fellow geocaches for help. I'm aware of a few caches which have something weird along the way, but I'm sure there's more. If anyone knows of a geocache where there are ruins of houses, unusual geological features (like a face in the rocks) or an old graveyard, or even just a spooky creepy place, can you post a response here? eventually I'm going to change the link in my signature to a specific page where all of them will be listed.

Note: don't bother mentioned virtuals, as I generally expect all virtuals to have something odd to be found, otherwise it wouldn't be a virtual. Thanks to all in advance for any help you can provide.

My own caches (current)

Palisades #5: Zabriski Point

Lad's Buttons

The Van Slyke Castle

Palisades #6: The Library on the Old 9W

Palisades #3: Robert Cadgene's Estate

Art: It does the Body Good

Weird CT: The Ghost Parking Lot (Connecticut)

Got Milk?

Highly Polished

Mansion in the Marshes

The Hamilton Death Rock

The Downed Jet

Palisades #4: John Ringling's House

OTHERS:

The Passaic HidawayBeavertown

Clinton Road Drive and Dump

Weird NJ: "Grave Yard Vultures" #17/68

White City Ruins

New Years Mystery Stone House 2003

Cape May Point Lighthouse Trek

Mills Reservation

"Trolley Valhalla" #13/29

Carranza's Hideaway

Sierra Bravo 01-Clinton Rd

Sierra Bravo-05-Stone Living Room

Phantasmagoria ~ ©rossr0ads

Chimney Rock

da/|ds0n c^chE

Limpidity-4: George Washington's StairMaster

Manunka Chunk Tunnels

Cookoos Nest

Needful Things

Mopar Automotive

oms-b (h|ghbrIdge) (New York)

PSEG Prosecution

Pyramid Mtn Roaming Cache

The Mystery Cache_1 (New York)

The SplitRock Splendor ! (New Jersey)

Washington Ruins in the Pines

We Saw A Bear Cache

Weird NJ - Rolling Rock Cache

What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Boone Town Falls

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Bluehook:

Yo G, did ya ever check out that one I suggested? I never heard back from you on that? No good? Or what? Just wondering...I thought it was pretty weird anyway.

which one? cant recall though I've gotten some refereals of weird stuff, I cant think of any other geocaches in NJ that would be classified as weird. EXCEPT I'm sure a lot of T neigel's geocaches would qualify, but with so many I haven't looked them over extensively, also since most of his are S Jersey and are below my radar for the most part...

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Cuckoo's Nest (by the Bee-Gee's) and the nearby Hilltop are located near a very creepy and spooky area.

Friends of mine who'd grown up in the area couldn't believe I'd been up there since they all had stories about the site from growing up. It just gave me the heebie jeebies - but it's worth checking out (just park behind the abandoned buildings).

The parking area's creepy, but the hilltop (especially near the watertower) has this abandoned 'Andromeda Strain' feeling (for anyone who's seen the old movie).

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Someone asked me if I meant geocaches where there was something already covered by weird nj, or something that hasn't yet been covered by weird nj. the answer is BOTH. if its weird I dont care if its been in Weird NJ or not. I like weird. I also thought of a few more that I know of.

Dead Center

Joe Mulliner's Tavern

This one just jumps out at you....

What the Heck is this place

These are all T Neigels caches, mostrly Pine Barrens. I mention these based on the name or writeup....

Harrisville Gas

Jessie Evans Mansion

Toms Grave

Washington Ruins in the Pines

Hampton Furnace of the Pines

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I STILL have "rolling rock" in my car, waiting for a good home.

how about the Holmdel IFC, which is now a park? If its one of those hideakey stones (great idea, I have one myself for just such a purpose, just hafvent found a decent cache to create out of it) then you could even leave it in a weird graveyard. I'd nominate zippy the pin heads grave.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

icon_cool.gif Well thanks to the 20th issue of WNJ. You can now add these to your list also:

The Historic Burlington County Prison Museum will take you right to the front door of the haunted prison.

Lawyer Lane Prison

The "RObin Hood of the Pine Barrens article about Joe Mulliner this cache shuld take you right into his area.

Joe Mulliner Caught at Washington Tavern

This is anothe Joe Mulliner one too.

The Grave of Joe Mulliner

Just thinking of what i knew was out there from the 20th issue!! Now is that good enough to get an issue #6 of WNJ???? What do u say TEam Gwho???

" The Sun rises up to shine glorious light on to her fellow geocachers as does her MIDDLE finger! " J/K !!!! [;)]

quote:
HartClimbs

posted April 28, 2003 06:33 AM

Cuckoo's Nest (by the Bee-Gee's) and the nearby Hilltop are located near a very creepy and spooky area.

Friends of mine who'd grown up in the area couldn't believe I'd been up there since they all had stories about the site from growing up. It just gave me the heebie jeebies - but it's worth checking out (just park behind the abandoned buildings).

The parking area's creepy, but the hilltop (especially near the watertower) has this abandoned 'Andromeda Strain' feeling (for anyone who's seen the old movie).

I was just thumbing through the latest issue (WNJ#20)and found something to add to the creepiness of this cache. It seems that a Verona couple was hiking in the area last August and stumbled upon a human skull. Former patient or recent murder victim? You decide. Needless to say I had to update my cache page with a picture of the skull.

This is a awesome thread!

Here are a couple we've place, but have recently archived.

In an Old Stone

Giddy-Up

We've also replaced the Chimney Rock cache

If your looking for abandoned buildings and cars in the woods, there's:

Lake Loop

Feature Cache

Abandoned Cache

You'll find a neat scene with an abandoned car on you way too

Western Stream View (stick to the trail)

Did you catch all of the cache near Sandy hook?

While you're near the shore, don't forget Earth Startion Zebra, once you know the history, you'll really appreciate it. Head here from the back and you visit a Nike missle base too.

Other items in the works.

We'll be having a tribute to the Griggstown Cow as featured in WNJ #20. Also, a little history lesson on turn-of-the-century movies and the NJ railroad will take place at the site of the Juggernaut in Sayerville.

Talking about abandoned train items.

The Historical Lakehurst Railroad Tour, and Stationary Cache, and Pennys on the tracks, and don't for get to check out near- by Alice's Restraunt, any place on Apple Pie Hill is weird. icon_smile.gif

The last item on our list is: The Price of Freedom.

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on May 01, 2003 at 07:25 AM.]

quote:
While not all that wierd if you are going for the cars and stuff abanonded in the woods yo cant beat Bottom of Lake Passic II a few older than me in there.

I like the tires that were dumped there so long ago, they now have fully mature trees growing through them. It's funny seeing a 40 ft tall oak with a tire around its base.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

I have a book titled _Off the Beaten Path_ written by William and Kay Scheller that bills itself as a 'Guide to Unique Places' within NJ.

I havent picked it up yet but theres a relatively new book called NJ Curiosities. It sounds like a Weird NJ special Issue. Muffler men, roadside oddities and lord knows what else. I took some advice from someone at the weird nj party & checked out some used book stores. Got some books about the iron bogs, batsto, the J.D., field trips and interesting & historic NJ, trips & treks: a guide to outings in NJ, discovering NJ, plus a 5 foot long folding map of bergen county like you see on the wall at the police station. AND THAT WAS JUST ONE BOOK STORE! If anyone knows of any good books on weird or unusual stuff in Nj lemme know here. as good a folder as any to talk about that.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com