Found a GPS on RT. 579, Bozman, Maryland

I'm sure you already looked but,,, i believe most gpsrs these days allow users to input personal information such as name and phone number. I added this to the start up splash screen on my older Garmin but there may be other places on other brands/models of gpsrs that an owner could have added his information..

Edited to add, there's always the chance that the owner has a waypoint called "home" on the unit. That could narrow things down a bit.

Edited by Mudfrog

Edited to add, there's always the chance that the owner has a waypoint called "home" on the unit. That could narrow things down a bit.

For security reasons this is a bad idea but it may work. Also, there may be tracks that lead to the owners home and of course, the added bonus could be there are solved mysteries loaded on this unit B)

When I lived in WA I went to an event and found gps at a cache nearby. I looked at the logsheet to find the name of the last cacher who signed it. I was going to contact the cacher when I got home that I found it but that meant I would be driving back 40 miles. While I continued to cache I found one that was at someone's house. I knocked on the door hoping they would recognize the cachers name. Turned out the house belonged to a reviewer and they looked up the cacher and sent a message. I left the GPS with the reviewer who got it back to the owner.

For security reasons this is a bad idea but it may work. Also, there may be tracks that lead to the owners home and of course, the added bonus could be there are solved mysteries loaded on this unit B)

That urban wisdom doesn't hold water. Why would "tracks to your home" or a waypoint called "home" make your house any more vulnerable to thieves? The common argument about that generally has to do with car navigation systems. Well, all a car (or GPS) thief needs to do, at least here in the U.S., is to open your glove box and take a look at the registration. It has your home address on it in plain sight.

Anyway... I guess that's not what this thread is about. Just wanted to mention that.

That urban wisdom doesn't hold water. Why would "tracks to your home" or a waypoint called "home" make your house any more vulnerable to thieves? The common argument about that generally has to do with car navigation systems. Well, all a car (or GPS) thief needs to do, at least here in the U.S., is to open your glove box and take a look at the registration. It has your home address on it in plain sight.

<OT>More and more people don't leave their car documents in their cars here as they are very much wanted by people who want official documents for same make/model stolen cars (a former employer of mine had his car documents stolen and didn't realize it until weeks later). We keep the documents in the car only when parked in our garage.

I know people even use the local police station address as "home" location. Once you're near, you know the way anyway :lol: </OT>