Charleston WV Area Cahcers meeting

WVAK47

Hey guys and gals,

I have been wondering if you in the Charleston and close areas would like to hook up sometime for a meeting. Just to get together and say hey to each other. I am about as new as one can be and would love to meet all of you sometime. I work 2 jobs now and time is a bit on the tight side but I will make time if you would want to hook up. Maybe grab a bite to eat, or even in a park visit. Heck a picnic would be cool by me. Just anything I could meet some of these legends Mikedx has told me about. I would love for other newbies to show up. If you are out there and browsing through Geocachings site. Join please, and the more the better. Well let me know what you think. I can be reached through email at swrayii@yahoo.com. Please use the subject of WV Area Cachers seeing that I have a nasty habit of deleting those I don't know. Phobic I guess, but I would hate to miss out on talking to you because of my fear of strange emails. icon_biggrin.gif

The Important Things Are Always Simple and The Simple Things Are Always Hard.

Now if we can just pull everybody together to get a date that the most cachers can save for the get together!!! A Sunday afternoon would probably be the best for most. Any ideas???

Also...any time you want someone to go cache-hunting with... zap me an e-mail. I am almost always ready to go. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

I work evening shift on the Turnpike and could attend for a while but have to be at work by 2pm each day so if it was early enough in the day I would try my best to be there....I do get 2 days off each week but the days rotate on a monthly basis...Keep me up to date on any plans...

I guess it is up to us to figure out a good time and place. I live in Charlestong and work days and evenings. I am off from both jobs on Sunday. Seems one of us has the more tight schedule thing with rotating. My suggestion is we work around that. I really like the Sunday idea.

I also notice that NJ pretty much rules the NE but hey it is time for WV to take a stand LOL.

I would really enjoy going caching with you guys sometime. I am learning my GPS much faster in the field than from that longwinded book. icon_biggrin.gif

LOL

)Ok yanks. NJ has just got to share now. WV is comin and you can't stop us icon_biggrin.gif. Now granted I don't understand why we here in WV can't have our own site, but the powers that be chose to stick us with you guys. Now PA I don't mind but NJ is just too much icon_confused.gif. The way I see it is you guys have taken over in our absence to keep this forum open for us. We are here now so you can get. LOL. What do you think about that? LOL

The only thing I wish is that we were all closer together and could all get together from time to time. I have been to Trenton once. Came up for the reenactment of Washington crossing the Del. Rvr. Coldest %!@#$%!@#$ event I have even had the misfortune of doing. Had a blast though (no pun intended) Maybe that I will run up again for another crossing someday. Hope to get to hunt a few caches while I am there.

icon_frown.gif to say you guys to have the most to hunt for, but I hope for that to be changing soon.

Thanks for the words of welcome (I think icon_confused.gif).

The only reason I said Charleston area is that I figured no one would want to drive very far. I don't mind how far you drive LOL. I would love to see all Geocachers in WV show up. More is better and less is fine. All counties are welcome and if you have friends that want to come from KY, VA, OH, PA, MD whatever I think that is way cool. I will say no one from NJ icon_wink.gif LOL. Just because they think they're special. LOL. Actually NJ I am bigger than that and you guys are more than welcome too. LOL. This is just to let EVERYONE know that I don't care where you come from, I just hope you are not disappointed with the drive. We may have to watch if our #s get too high and actually reserve somewhere. But hey that is cool too.

I would like to run mid FEB to mid MAR by you as a time frame. What ya think?

Although I'm from Pittsburgh, I've found three caches in West Virginia and am looking forward to finding more as my territory expands outwards in search of new hunts.

If this event were scheduled for the weekend of 2/15-2/16, or 3/15-3/16, I'd do my best to make it, and to use the drive for a marathon cache-a-thon on the way down and back. I could share ideas I've seen elsewhere, and also talk about dealing with state officials if that is of interest to you.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I hope to see the Leprechauns here. I know they can make the trip--we drove to their area with my family and grabbed a few caches a few months ago. I also saw you guys met up with someone from my home state, Wisconsin recently. It was fun seeing those logs on some of the caches we visited.

February/March both sound fine to me.

It truly is a small world, Man in the Wild. I checked your finds since your name sounded familiar, and we have a dozen or so finds in common... not just in Pittsburgh, but also in Southeastern Ohio. I hope I can make it to this event and meet you and your clan.

Anyone else from Pittsburgh want to make it a road trip? Little Leprechaun would stay home from this marathon, so I'd have an entirely empty, brand new SUV to carry other geocachers in.

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

Since not all cachers visit the forums. Yes really! I think it might be a good idea to e-mail our " live-in WV" cachers and let them know this discussion is going on so we can get more in-put. I like to look at the profiles sometimes when I read the "Found It" s, so I'll try to get in touch with as many as I can find.

Since I have got to caching events in other states, OH & VA , and felt welcomed, I really do hope we can come up with something that will intice cachers in other states to join us for this get together too. icon_smile.gif

March sounds good to me, maybe it will be warmer and the sun will come out, clouds and mountains don't make for good satellite reception.

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

Sorry about taking so long to respond. I usually don't check the message board since it's usually all about NJ. I had been talking with Eli about getting together but just hadn't gotten around to it. Finding the others are pretty easy. Just go to the site that lists the top cachers in each state. Anybody that been to a couple in WV we can email. Plus post an event cache in the area. I look forward to getting together & swapping stories. I'll tell Canyonwalk, Geowhiz, & MeeMaw.

Since I can't do too much from way up here to help you in planning an event, I thought I could at least offer more written help.

First, since it's the first event cache for Charleston, read through the existing forum threads discussing what to do and how to set up an event cache. There is a recent thread here that also contains links to other helpful threads.

There should be at least one cache to find at the event site, plus some other GPS games that would be fun to do in a group, like capture the flag or a fox hunt. The big organized geocaching groups will have LOTS of one-day caches; Wisconsin's summer picnic featured nearly 20. If the cache set up for the event will stay in place afterwards, give it its own cache page. If it is a temporary cache, then hand out hint sheets at the event, and let people log a separate smiley face for each physical cache they find, but on the cache page for the EVENT.

I also liked Man in the Wild's idea about solving the cache density problem; that is, the lack of geocaches in the beautiful countryside of West Virginia and Southeastern Ohio. This should be a topic for discussion... find out some good parks or forests that deserve caches, and then split up and everybody agree to hide one or more "seed" caches. Once there is one or two caches in an area, others usually follow.

Find a location and set up an Event Cache page SOON so that other area geocachers will see it in their search results and their weekly e-mail listing of new caches, and can start making plans. And, as several of you have mentioned, it's also great to send e-mails to regular cachers to publicize the event.

I will probably be organizing the spring geocaching event here in Pittsburgh, so I am studying all this stuff too. If there is anything else I can do to help my friends to the south, just let me know.

I shall be there regardless of what it takes. (now that i have quit kicking myself after hd-dudes cache..btw..do not come in from the north!! haha) Thanks for the email Eli. I haven't checked the forums for quite some time. (heard you had to buy forum space from the NJ people) I have all the makings for another cache. Just having trouble finding a flat hike for MITW! Food for thought: Sutton Lake is the GEOgraphical center of the state. Cache on ! --CP

We would really like to meet the other cachers in WV. We've ran into a couple while hunting for caches and would like to meet as many as we can. We live in the Charleston area, so just about any central location would work for us. Sundays seem to be the best day. We like the idea of having more caches in WV to find! Thanks Eli for the email letting us know about this thread.

OneT and Biscuit

Depending on when the event is, I'd like to come down and do the cache trip (like Lep mentioned). Having met Eli of EliJoMikMiNi at two of the Cleveland MetroParks Geocaching Events, I'd like to return the favour icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif... that and find some caches in a 4th state (W.Va.)

And Lep, I'd also like to be kept awares if you do do an event down in the 'Burgh icon_wink.gif, since I am intending to cache my way down the western counties of PA.

And, don't laugh icon_redface.gif -- I'm thinking of going up to Michigan for their big gathering the end of February -- did some caching around Ann Arbor, and would like to meet some of the other Michigan Cachers.

What does that say about me that I want to drive 5+ hours icon_eek.gif to go to geocaching get-togethers icon_redface.gif, but usually wimp out about driving to the grocery store to get groceries (a whole .4 miles away) icon_frown.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well icon_rolleyes.gif... hope to see you all somewhere icon_smile.gif... sometime... icon_wink.gif

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

quote:
Originally posted by SherwoodForest:

And Lep, I'd also like to be kept awares if you do do an event down in the 'Burgh icon_wink.gif, since I am intending to cache my way down the western counties of PA.

I'm starting to plan an event cache for when fair weather returns.... May, I'm thinking. I'll keep you posted. There is a great string of caches between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Now, we just need the same between Pittsburgh and Charleston... add volume to the fine caches already placed.

quote:
What does that say about me that I want to drive 5+ hours icon_eek.gif to go to geocaching get-togethers icon_redface.gif, but usually wimp out about driving to the grocery store to get groceries (a whole .4 miles away) icon_frown.gificon_rolleyes.gif

It says that you're smart enough to recognize that you meet a nicer group of people at a geocaching event than you do at the grocery store, and that's true whether you're in Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Charleston.

Hey, this sounds great! March sounds much better than February, and with the weather the past few days, I'm wondering if it will even be warm enough by then. We may be more interested in trying to find ways to stay warm rather than to be out looking for caches. Well, on second thought, probably not, as I've searched for caches in the pouring rain before icon_biggrin.gif.

I've only met 3 or 4 other cachers, though I've corresponded with several of you through e-mails. I am really looking forward to putting a face with a name. Of course some of you have your pictures in your logs or on your cache sites, so I won't have any trouble recognizing you (MITW).

I'm really glad someone decided to plan this. Thanks WVAK47!

Can't imagine driving to this one at all...

Would have been "ONE TUFF DRIVE" icon_smile.gif

From any direction ! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cache-potato:

I shall be there regardless of what it takes. (now that i have quit icon_razz.gif haha) Thanks for the email Eli. I haven't checked the forums for quite some time. (heard you had to buy forum space from the NJ people) I have all the makings for another cache. Just having trouble finding a flat hike for MITW! Food for thought: Sutton Lake is the GEOgraphical center of the state. Cache on ! --CP

I agree that Sutton is the center, but until we hear from the easterners (hint hint), all those that have posted so far are on the west side. I have sent emails to:

tmp, SenecaRocks, magpie7777, Mr. & Mrs. Mountaineer, two-bit joe, Leif Erickson, cos crew, WV Sloth, Herd Fan 84. And I apologized if Eli contacted them already.

LOL. I never dreamed of causing all this. I love the interest in the idea. You guys make me feel like I did something good for a change.

Now, when this all started it was to get a few locals together to shoot the breeze. I agree with MeeMaw that Feb may be too cold for a hunting party. For what I had in mind to start with it would be fine because we could always go inside somewhere (I know boring) Oh and is there any other way to hunt for caches? I thought it was an unwritten law that it had to be really cold, raining, snowing, muddy or all of the above. I have not came home warm and dry from one yet, and I LOVE IT. Back to the subject now. I do love all the interest in this, but I am scared that many will be disappointed. What do you guys say to maybe two events, or waiting a little later in the year and having one bigger one when the weather breaks some.

I want to meet all of you, I truly do. But this is getting too large for me to handle at this point. I know many have offered to help and I THANK YOU SO MUCH. But I don't want to put my idea off on others to take care of. I will be happy to help all I can if you guys want to go this big. I think it is AWESOME to get this much response but a little overwhelming for me too. LOL.

So let me know what you want me to do and I will do my best. Feb is a bad time of year for me with my current job (inventory icon_frown.gif ). March would be better for me but worse for others. This is just really hard to do. Now if you locals would like to meet me for dinner/cup of coffee somewhere that would be WAY COOL, and maybe we could discuss in further detail what to do and when.

To let you know I am not backing out or even trying to. I would love to help put on a KICK ARS meeting here in Almost Heaven, but I feel it is more than I can handle now.

NJer butting in...

I have been reading your thread and think your enthusiasm is great but to quote Nike:

Just do it.

Some one pick a place, put up an event cache and see who comes. I guarantee those who can make it will have a blast.

I held one event (about 9 cachers came) and attended the NJ one last May (about 30 cachers) and everyone had a great time.

But we didn't have organized games or special caches. If you want to do this then maybe wait till warmer weather and more organizing.

But if you just want to meet and get to know the faces of your local cachers then some one pick a day, pick a place, Post the event.

And have a blast.

My two cents. NJer leaving. Bye.

quote:
Originally posted by WVAK47:

LOL. I never dreamed of causing all this. I love the interest in the idea. You guys make me feel like I did something good for a change.

Now, when this all started it was to get a few locals together to shoot the breeze. I agree with MeeMaw that Feb may be too cold for a hunting party. For what I had in mind to start with it would be fine because we could always go inside somewhere (I know boring) Oh and is there any other way to hunt for caches? I thought it was an unwritten law that it had to be really cold, raining, snowing, muddy or all of the above. I have not came home warm and dry from one yet, and I LOVE IT. Back to the subject now. I do love all the interest in this, but I am scared that many will be disappointed. What do you guys say to maybe two events, or waiting a little later in the year and having one bigger one when the weather breaks some.

I want to meet all of you, I truly do. But this is getting too large for me to handle at this point. I know many have offered to help and I THANK YOU SO MUCH. But I don't want to put my idea off on others to take care of. I will be happy to help all I can if you guys want to go this big. I think it is AWESOME to get this much response but a little overwhelming for me too. LOL.

So let me know what you want me to do and I will do my best. Feb is a bad time of year for me with my current job (inventory icon_frown.gif ). March would be better for me but worse for others. This is just really hard to do. Now if you locals would like to meet me for dinner/cup of coffee somewhere that would be WAY COOL, and maybe we could discuss in further detail what to do and when.

To let you know I am not backing out or even trying to. I would love to help put on a KICK ARS meeting here in Almost Heaven, but I feel it is more than I can handle now.

I notice that most of the posts are in the lower Kanawha Valley area. icon_biggrin.gif How about..., just as a beginner, meeting at McDonalds at Southridge or something, just to put the names, people, and places togeather? icon_eek.gif Sort of a "hello there --how are you" meeting. After meeting on Sunday afternoons for several times...some caches could be planned out for when the weather warms up a bit.

Little Creek Park has some great picinic area's or even Coonskin Park near the Charleston Airport. Both those area's are large enough to do some quick caching.

After getting to know each other...a formal club could begin to take shape.

I could see things taking off a bit after 3 or 4 get togeathers. I think it's important to take a few little steps before jumping into bigger event.

The BIG event could still be in early March or something. That way the people from out

a ways could do some planning to be there! icon_cool.gif

Pick any Sunday afternoon, and I'll be there. I could even be there on a Saturday morning icon_wink.gif, assuming I'm off that week, in time to do a quick cache after the meeting. If I can't catch the first one, I could catch the one the week afterward. icon_smile.gif

I like the NIKE idea. icon_razz.gif

That is what I had in mind when I started this. So how is this.

Sunday Jan 25, 2003 at 15:00 (for those that attend church or sleep late, the latter being me) at Micky Ds on South Ridge.

My idea. Lets hear from all involved with in out or other suggestions.

Us West Virginia people should get together some time. It would be a fun thing to see all the people who put the caches together that I have found. I think maybe the eating idea is a good one. We could maybe meet at a central picnic area. Or maybe in the mall in Charlston. Any where is a good idea. We should find that NJ gey and beat him. what a loser!! Well anyway maybe we should get someone to plan the event and get back to everyone.

Shnarf

Save the whales, but make them behave.

quote:
Originally posted by cache-potato:

I have all the makings for another cache. Just having trouble finding a flat hike for MITW!

Well, we are in the wrong state for that I guess. icon_smile.gif Thanks for thinking about me when hiding your cache. icon_smile.gif I can't wait to see what you hide next!

Also, I'm waiting to see you take a trip to our Horton Hears A Panter cache. This one's a bit more of your style terrain than mine. I think you'll like it (sorry, the Bungee cats are all gone, but I think Miss Cheetah's there now.)

quote:
Originally posted by MeeMaw:

Of course some of you have your pictures in your logs or on your cache sites, so I won't have any trouble recognizing you (MITW).

Yup. No problem recognizing me. I'll be the only bear wearing a plaid shirt there... (ok, I'll more likely be wearing my Geocaching T-Shirt.)

I should read all of the forum before I reply to stuff. The super bowl is a good idea. It doesnt start untill 9:00 anyway. By the by I can tell you that the Raiders are going to win it all anyway so you dont haveto watch.

I do still think we should hert that NJ gey.

I'm still a teen so if I spelled anything wrong its ok.

shnarf

Save the whales, but make them behave.

quote:
Originally posted by shnarf:

I think maybe the eating idea is a good one.

Yup. Eating's always good. I like food. Plus it'll give you energy for doing some caching aftwards. Ok, so if we meet at 3pm, it'll be dark shortly after we meet--that could make caching interesting.

quote:
We could maybe meet at a central picnic area. Or maybe in the mall in Charlston.

I like Southridge better than the Town Center. I think we're more likely to get people from south of Charleston to show up, plus I hate paying for parking.

quote:
We should find that NJ gey and beat him. what a loser!!

I vote we invite the NJ guy(s) instead and make them place a lot of caches in our area so we can compete with Stay Floopy, etc. icon_smile.gif

I agree with spiker. Let's make this one an informal meet & greet and we can plan the where and when of doing a big event cache later in the year for those far off to plan. If you want to cache, there is a GREAT cache 5 miles south of Southridge. I say that only because it's mine (Oregonia) icon_cool.gif

Count me in!

p.s. Let's invite those from NJ and then make fun of the way they talk.

quote:

Sunday Jan 25, 2003 at 15:00 (for those that attend church or sleep late, the latter being me) at Micky Ds on South Ridge.

Hey...the 25th is a Saturday!

Sunday is the 26th... icon_confused.gif

Sunday is fine for me but I will be working if it's a Saturday.

Never been to Micky D's...I assume it's a resturant with some good stuff for the kids too. What's the menu there? It will be important if the little ones are hungry.

I'll be the guy carrying a "Duck" under his arm.

The Duck likes Bud Light real well. I'll have to keep my eye on him. icon_biggrin.gif

The best way for everyone to know about where and when is to post it here and make an event cache description. Don't worry about the size of the get together--event caches work fine even if you're trying to just get a few people to meet. It sounds like Superbowl Sunday at the Southridge McDonalds. Just need the coordinates and time (3pm?) and a quick cache page...

jspiker: I've heard McDonalds sells cache bait along with small meals...

First sorry about Supper Bowl sunday or whatever you guys called it. Why on earth anyone would be in front of a TV watching sports when there are caches to find and hide I don't have a clue. LOL. I will be the non sports following one there. Never did and don't see a need too now. I really had no clue it was Super Bowl Sunday. But that doesn't seem to discourage most of you. Glad to hear it. Priorities are straight. Caching and eating over all else. LOL.

I will run out tomorrow and get the cords for the front door of McDonalds on South ridge.

I guess you go about setting up an event cache the same as anyother. I will do my best at getting it in there ASAP. I am off work Thurs. night so it should be no big deal getting it in there. If I run into trouble MITW I am going to holler at ya about how to do this. God knows you have put in several caches you cach hiding person you.

Can't wait to meet everyone. I will bring my ideas and notebook. Figure I will do more note taking from you wiser cachers than idea giving.

Take care and stay happy. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry I can't make it to the event but I will be working that evening. I will be thinking about you though and all the time wishing I was there...

Someone take some Pics and notes,ideas and such and post them somewhere and let me know where to find them!!!!!

If there is any way to get out of work that day I will try but I probably won't be successful icon_mad.gif

Thank you just gave me the name for my event cache. McCacher it is. I went up there like promised this evening and got the cords. One little thing scared me. The lights were all off and about 5 firetrucks were there. Guess the fries got a little hot. LOL. Before I left the lights were back on and there were people inside cleaning it appeared. Just in case this does lead to them not being open for whatever reason on the 26th there will be someone (ME) at the cords to point everyone in the right direction. Or maybe another set of cords on the spot. OOOHHH a multi-leg event cache. LOL. Oh don't be afraid it won't be far, like under .5 miles to the new one.

By the way I am so sorry to hear that some of you won't be able to make it. I guess this is going to happen no matter when we try. But there WILL BE more to come. icon_wink.gif WE ARE MOUNTAINEERS AND WE ARE HERE TO STAY NJ.

It has been submitted as an Event Cache. The cords are N38 19.247 W081 42.979 when the THE PWRs THAT B approve it I will put the waypoint on here. I have done part of my part now lets all do the rest and get there. It is not hard to find that is why I classed it 1 and 1. LOL

WVAK47 CYaSoon icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I went up there like promised this evening and got the cords. One little thing scared me. The lights were all off and about 5 firetrucks were there. Guess the fries got a little hot. LOL. Before I left the lights were back on and there were people inside cleaning it appeared.

Hi Ak....I was there too. I was just going into Wallmart when the fire trucks arrived. icon_razz.gif

The fries should be well done now. icon_wink.gifHope no one was injured. icon_smile.gif

I've got a confession to make. icon_frown.gif After talking to some younger

friends at work...I realized Micky D's and McDonalds are the same place. icon_confused.gif

I'll leave the "Duck" at home now. He was going to be my guide for the night

Hey Jspiker, Man I was over at the Dollar Store getting goodies when they got there. icon_frown.gif That blows. We were that close and never knew.

I would say the fries were done. LOL. I didn't look like anyone was hurt. Not bad at least. Not EMTs running around. They were mopping up the front. Sprinklers being my guess. No one even look upset. I stood in the door to get my cords and no one even paid attention. So I guess nothing serious wrong.

By the way you have to bring THE DUCK. I am bringing my soldiers. LOL