archiving

riv606

Geo's, I see that people sometimes archive a cache. When a cache is archived, do you remove it?

My asking this applies to one of my hides. The town is getting ready to build a monument to veterans on the site where my cache is placed. Do I archive it and remove it? It would be destroyed when they start construction.

And how do I archive it?

thanks

riv606 ombagc11@yahoo.com

Geo's, I see that people sometimes archive a cache. When a cache is archived, do you remove it?

My asking this applies to one of my hides. The town is getting ready to build a monument to veterans on the site where my cache is placed. Do I archive it and remove it? It would be destroyed when they start construction.

And how do I archive it?

thanks

riv606 ombagc11@yahoo.com

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

3.17. My Geocache Needs to be Archived

While we never permanently delete a geocache from our system, you can archive it.

Go to your geocache listings, and select the cache(s) that you would like to archive. On your geocache's page, just click "Archive," enter any comments, and submit the log entry. This will remove your geocache listing from search results.

To archive a geocache is to remove the listing permanently. A geocache owner can archive their own listing. A geocache owner cannot unarchive it.

Once your geocache has been archived, please be sure to remove the physical container from its hiding spot as soon as possible.

B.

Yes, definitely remove it and log an Archive. The system should ask you if you're absolutely sure, because unlike Disable, which is temporary, archival is permanent and cannot be reversed (at least not without assistance from a reviewer.

If the hiding spot will be destroyed Archive it. If the site will only be disturbed during construction but the hiding place will stay intact , you might consider just disabling it until the contraction is complete. Likewise, if you're really fond of this cache, you might disable it temporarily and when they're done find another spot nearby and change your coordinates....you can relocate a cache a short distance as long as it's essentially the same cache (size, D/T, theme, etc.)