GPS suggestions?

I am wondering what kind of GPS unit you all use for geocaching? I used to have an iPhone with the geocaching app and loved it. It was very userfriendly and did what I needed. I no longer have an iphone, but have a samsung which I could get the app again, but it uses so much data and the battery tends to drain fast. I am looking for just a GPS unit that is EASY TO USE, USER FRIENDLY and not super expensive. Oh, and I dont need all the bells and whistles! We also used to use the Geomate Jr., but did not have the update cord and those are not sold anymore. My 10 and 6 year old LOVE geocaching but we havent been able to for a while. Suggestions please!!

My experience has been that after about a year of moderate geocaching, any dollar level of Garmin is going to conk out. Don't pay for extras you're not thrilled about.

I've never had a Garmin GPS die. The first one I bought in 1997.

+ 3 on this....my Garmins and also ALL of my old Magellan Meridians also still work fine....in fact in over 12 years I've never had a unit fail.

To answer the question I'd recommend the Garmin 64S, they have been selling for about $250.

I've never had a Garmin die either.

Still have two blue Legends that we use as spares for others when we bought our 60cxs' (another discontinued model), that's also still running like new.

To answer your question, if either of our 60cxs' die, I'll take the survivor and buy her a 64s. :)

Edited by cerberus1

I've never had a Garmin 'conk out' ...

Really? After 834 finds! I've had two green ones, a silver one, a yellow one and my current Oregon 550t. The stick wore out on the first one, before paperless (entering all coords by hand), the second would shut off every time it was moved. I don't remember how the others went bad, but my current expensive is starting to flake out with about 1/4" of the screen blank. I'd be more apt to take your advice after 10,000 or so smileys :)

so... what was the LEAST accurate you have used???

Edited by tallglenn

You almost NEVER read about a died Garmin, I don't geocache but do everything else with a Garmin and once it works it keeps doing so.

Etrex 20 is a good choice indeed, or maybe an Oregon 600

Look around for a local geocache club, so maybe you can try one, else try to rent one, to be sure you like it.

A 'dedicated' Gps is VERY different from a cellphone.

I'm sure some fail and you may have been unlucky.

Its just that GPS units ( not just Garmin ) are really tough units made for heavy use in the field in all conditions. A fellow cacher came into my office one day and had run over his Magellan Platinum with his truck...the screen was cracked and you could clearly see the tire tread marks but the unit operated perfect. My wife dropped a Platinum a good ways down Stone Mountain, Ga....the case popped open like an egg and the o-ring popped out....I put it back together and its never missed a beat.....for a few years now we've used Garmins ( 60 CSx, Oregon 450, 62S )and they seem tough as well having survived multiple drops, water, etc.