Throwdown, Found It and FTF... in a cache disabled by reviewer!

JPreto

Hi all!!!

After a period of absence due to my work life I am back and just to find out my fears have come true... Brazil is more and more.... well, see for yourself and take your own conclusions:

Praça Universidade Mackenzie - GC55RQ8

Specially this log:

Found it Laferre found Traditional Cache Praça Universidade Mackenzie

And the text of the log, because he might change it:

Sa, 27 Jun 2015 @ 9:50 - Cache 1099 - {*FTF*} 105

Este cache nunca me saía da cabeça… tentei contactar o owner sem sucesso e tentei esquecer o assunto.

Mas na viagem para Alemanha tive oportunidade de conversar com muitos Geocachers e sempre puxava este assunto para saber as opiniões.

O que fazer com um cache que desapareceu junto com o owner??

Depois de muito papo e muitas opiniões fui reforçando cada vez mais minha visão sobre esta brincadeira. Sem coloaboração o Geocaching não vai em frente; principalmente quando esta começando em um país com tantos desafios como o Brasil.

Então voltei decidido a repor o cache o mais próximo possível da realidade desenhada pelo CO. Espero que o cache dure um pouco mas neste local é realmente difícil.

Um abraço, Laferre.

PS: agora logando o cache vejo que foi desativado… QUE COSA TRISTE!! Exatamente o que queria evitar.

Tenho que lembrar de atualizar os dados dos caches no iPhone antes de ir… não é a primeira vez que poderia evitar perder tempo.

Free translating it to english it says:

"Sa, 27 Jun 2015 @ 9:50 - Cache 1099 - {*FTF*} 105

This cache never came out of my head... tried to talk to the owner but without success and tried to forget this.

But in the trip I made to Germany had the opportunity to talk to many Geocachers and always asked about this subject to get opinions: What to do when a cache disappeared together wit the owner??

After many talks and many opinions I reinforced more and more my vision about this game. Without collaboration Geocaching will not go forward, specially when it is starting in a country with so many challenges as Brazil.

So I came back decided to replace the cache closest as possible to the reality designed by the CO. Hope this cache lasts a while but in this place is really difficult.

Hugs, LaFerre.

P.S: Logging it now I realise it was disabled... HOW SAD!!!! Exactly what I wanted to avoid. I have to remind myself to update all iPhone date before I go... It is not the first time I could have avoided a waist of time."

So... maybe I will find now some very old caches, that where never found just by placing a Throwdown and saying FTF, even if they are archived with the excuse of not updating my cellphone... REALLY?!?!?!? :ph34r:

Welcome to the Wild Wild West of Geocaching!!!!! <_<

PS: As you can see the cache had a Maintenance Request and was Disable by a Reviewer more than 20 days before the actual post... Even tho the post has the date of June 27th, it was actually written in the cache yesterday, July 9th!!!!

It's happening more and more. And sanctioned by many geocachers. If only GS would crack down on this behavior.

Here's one from a cache that had been missing for 8 months, no response from the owner. I post an NM then the next cacher posts this:

Happened to be in [the area] early this morning on business and noticed the cache was still not found or maintained. I love this cache as it inspires those to aim for the stars and wouldn't want to see it archived.

So I have taken the liberty to replace the cache with a new magnetic plastic hide-a-key with replacement log in a baggy at or very close to Gz.

With your permission, I will claim the smiley so other cachers will not waste their time visiting here. I and many others - better cachers than I am - have not found it in a very long time.

Thank you so much for placing this cache...

"inspires those to aim for the stars"....it was a container carpet taped to the inside of one leg of a water tower, and had the word Rocket in the title.

Recently I heard of about 20 people at an event passing around a film canister to sign. Then they put it on a tree where a cache went missing months ago and the cache owner long gone, no longer playing the game with an inactive email account. They claimed the find and actually said in a couple of logs that they created this [pocket] event cache and left the throwdown until the cache owner could get around to maintaining his cache.

To quote a flying pig:

Here we go again... Yes I need to quote this infamous quote by Jeremy himself.

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Now, for my opinion:

1245.gif