Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BK-Hunters

New Category Idea: Segway Rental Locations

16 posts in this topic

While we were in Halifax, we saw a group riding Segways on the boardwalk. Most intriguing, and noticed a "You Are Here Sign" with a nearby Segway Rental place. We proceed to the location and found about 15 individuals waiting to rent a Segway. This is one of the hottest ideas and there are rental locations all over the world. There are group tours available at most locations.

What is a Segway: The Segway PT is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle invented by Dean Kamen. It is produced by Segway Inc. of New Hampshire. The name Segway is derived from the word segue, meaning smooth transition. PT is an abbreviation for personal transporter.

Computers, sensors, and electric motors in the base of the Segway PT keep the device upright when powered on with balancing enabled. The rider commands the PT to go forward or backward by shifting their weight forward or backward on the platform. The PT uses gyroscopic sensors and accelerometer-based leveling sensors to detect the resulting changes in its pitch angle and, to maintain balance, it drives its wheels forward or backward as needed to return its pitch to upright. In the process, the rider establishes and then maintains a desired speed by modulating the extent and duration of their fore/aft weight shifts. To turn and steer, the rider shifts the handlebar to the left or right. The PT responds by adjusting the speeds of the wheels in opposite directions causing the PT to yaw and, if not traveling forward or backward, turn in place. At speed, the amount of shift of the handlebar corresponds to the amount of left or right lean required by the rider to balance themselves on the platform during a turn.

Segway PTs can reach a speed of 12.5 miles per hour (20.1 km/h).

Source: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_PT

After just a quick search soon realized that there are places to rent a Segway worldwide.

Åland islands - Australia - Austria

China - Croatia - Czech Republic

Denmark - Dominican Republic

Finland - France - Germany - Hungary

Ireland - Israel - Italy - Japan

Lithuania - Luxembourg - Malaysia

Malta - Mexico - Netherlands - New South Wales

New Zealand - Norway - Poland - Portugal

Sweden - Switzerland - United Kingdom:

United States and Canada

There are categories for Bicycle and Water Craft (Human Powered) Rentals.

What do think of this idea?

Edited by BK-Hunters

This would make a good attribute, but probably not a geocache type.

Curious, how many Geocache types are in Waymarking? :)

Looks like a fun one to me.

Close by us, a park with a zipline canopy tour also has all-terrain Segways for their trail system.

Didn't know there was such a thing. Cool. :)

I don't think it would make a good attribute or a virtual geocache, but would fit in with other commerical Waymarks. :unsure:

I am not sure. There are other similar categories, but the limitation to one specific product for this proposal makes a difference. I see a shift towards the group of the highly disliked commercial categories that leaves a bad smack. I know that there are little other similar vehicles, but if you could extend the idea towards a more general direction, then it would have better chances, I think. Still not my favorite, but good enough to support it.

I am not sure. There are other similar categories, but the limitation to one specific product for this proposal makes a difference. I see a shift towards the group of the highly disliked commercial categories that leaves a bad smack. I know that there are little other similar vehicles, but if you could extend the idea towards a more general direction, then it would have better chances, I think. Still not my favorite, but good enough to support it.

Good point. I will look into this further and see if there are other similar types available for rental.

If anyone knows of other types or brands that are for rental, post your information. This will assist in broadening the category.

Thanks for your comment.

Another related vehicle type is e-BikeBoard.

Maybe the bicycle rentals category could include them all.

What about car rentals? Or motorcycle rentals?

I'm wondering for years we do not have a cetegory for them.

I like the idea, and I wouldn't try to combine or include it into the bicycle rentals category. Going by bicycle is an all different experience than going by Segway. People will rent a Segway mainly for the fun and "adventure", while other people rent bicycles to have a fast, cheap and easy opportunity to get from here to there without having to look for a parking lot.

If you want to broaden the category, I would rather look for similar "adventurous" types of vehicles (like for example the Rocket Skates etc.). Even if there are no rentals for these yet, I would include them just in case they start one tomorrow. And of course there are other vehicles that look like Segway, but are not. Like for example Z-Way These should also be included.

PISA-Caching Thanks so much for the suggestions. I watched the video of Rocket Skates, what a fun idea.

Another way for me to break my neck :yikes:

These would make a great addition to the category. Not too sure about the rental aspect, but you are right, tomorrow who knows what will be available to rent.

Have not started a category yet, anyone interested in being an officer?

I am very encouraged by everyone's ideas and comments. Who knew? :o

Edited by BK-Hunters

PISA-Caching Thanks so much for the suggestions. I watched the video of Rocket Skates, what a fun idea.

Another way for me to break my neck :yikes:

These would make a great addition to the category. Not too sure about the rental aspect, but you are right, tomorrow who knows what will be available to rent.

Have not started a category yet, anyone interested in being an officer?

I am very encouraged by everyone's ideas and comments. Who knew? :o

Hi there,

I own Segways here in Moncton. I've gotta say it is truly theeeee funnest way to get around. A bike is by far no comparison.

Simply put, it's one of those things you just have to experience! No one can tell you what it's like.

It's not as easy as renting them is the only problem. First timers need to learn the basics as to what is under their feet which is why all of our Tours are guided. We are not touring this year as we are booked up for the season with the exception of maintenance.

I am new to Geocaching so I wanted to give it a try on Segways.

We have room for 8 but not all the time as our fleet is being occupied for private use.

Teach us how to geocache, we could teach you how to Segway!

Cheers

It's been a long time since I have cheked the forum so I was happy to read about this idea. I've thought about the same myself. Here in Denmark I have seen Segway rentals in amusement parks as well.

We are still interested in starting this new category.

We need a name that is inclusive: Segway, Rocket Skates, hoverboards and other brands of personal transports.

All must be battery operated and must be for rental ONLY. No dealerships.

No Cars, bicycles, wheelchairs or other modes of transportation in other categories. We are only looking for modes of personal transports that are fun and adventurous.

We will not accept traditional scooters, which are usually for just getting from one place to another. Lacks the fun and adventurous aspect.

That said, there is a Self Balancing Scooter also referred to as a "Hoverboard". Only if they are for rental. These would be acceptable.

Name options:

"Personal Transport Rentals" or better yet: "Battery Powered Personal Transport Rentals"

If you are interested in being an officer, post your comments here.

We will start the category, if there is still interest and we need a name for the category that is descriptive.

Suggestions?

The Battery Powered Personal Transport Rentals new category was sent to peer review. We encourage your support.

Regards, Barb and Keith of BK-Hunters

Membership is still open if you would like to join.