Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TianaGary

Suggestions about flashlight for hiking

I am planning a hiking this summer holiday, and want to purchase some flashlight for my classmates and me. DO you have any advice on the flashlight? What kind of flashlight is better? I searched some flashlight brands online including sure fire, streamlight, fenix, tank007, etc., do you know which one is better for us? Thanks for your suggestion .

Since I don't know you, it'd be close to impossible to figure what's right for your classmates and you. :)

There is a thread about flashlights popular with folks here in the forums.

Thanks for your advice. Finally, I choose a Tank007 flashlight, which is cheaper than some big brands such as Sure Fire, Fenix, etc. But I love it.

0b746b36-6746-4270-bcc0-03a090b70c7f.jpg

Why not Headlamps? Then your hands are free to move about the hike.

Link to review of related topic:

Headlamp vs Handheld

The pictures in the article illustrate the difference over a smooth terrain, but I've tried this out on rough and inconsistent surfaces and it is really quite dramatic having the the light mounted at head level versus holding a light in your hand or mounted on your waist.

I typically have a headlamp on for hiking at night, and have a >300 lumen tech-light in my hand. When the trail is relatively free of obstacles, I'm usually OK with my headlamp, but if there are roots/rocks and the like, I'll turn on my handheld briefly to gauge the size of the obstacles ahead. My headlamp will generally last all night on a triplet of AAA lithiums. The tech-light I'm currently using has a rechargeable AA lithium, and will only last an hour or so at full power, so I tend to use it only when needed.

<_< How far ahead of you do you need?

Are you wearing a pack? :unsure:

How about something really unique on the trail or even around a campsite?

Weight of 2.6OZ, 10 LEDs, maybe 90 Lumens, solar charged even regular daylight can charge it. Check out a Solarpuff by solight-design. This little cube open is 4 1/3 in size and could be held overhead as you walk. Just a different approach to light. This little cube can last on a single charge 8-12 hours.

Just a suggestion to think about outside the box, yes I own one. :)

We actually bought one of those Solar Puff's (or something very much like it) from an Indiegogo campaign. Fine for around camp for cooking, playing cards, or reading, but not very useful as a flashlight while your moving.

Concerning the distance I need to see ahead, it kind of depends. If I'm walking a brisk 3-4 mile an hour pace, it would have to be a pretty bright headlamp to see more than a few steps ahead. Most of the time, that requires a larger battery pack than I'm willing to carry on my head. Hence the handheld.

Although, I have to admit, some of my most memorable night hikes have been by a full moon with no other light source.