Geocaching HQ's "Reminders" Chuckle

"spring cleaning housekeeping" duties at Geocaching HQ seems to have spilled over into summer... in the email box this week was a reminder to take care of a "Needs Maintenance" icon on one or more of my cache placements...

ever thankful for the additional nudge to improve upon my sometimes procrastinating & lackadaisical cache maintenance habits, i was still curious... after all, what's good for the goose - well, you know...

copy of email i sent the Cache Owner,Geocaching HQ, today - enjoy the ironic chuckle... perhaps they should have checked their own cache placements before sending out the reminders to the rest of us; or did it just get away from them like it does us? B)

"hello cache owner,

:oGC20Y24-This cache hide on 6/27/15 had posted a "Needs Maintenance" log.... oops... :signalviolin:

also, on 7/7/15 both GC4B84C and GC4GW89also had NM's...

Geocachers often report this when the logbook is full, the container is damaged or if the contents are damp. Check the log for more details.

When you visit your geocache to do any required maintenance, here are a few reminders:

- Replace the container if the current one is in bad condition

- Make sure that that your container is still watertight

- If any of the contents are wet, dry them off or replace them

- Check that there is enough space left in your logbook

After you visit your geocache and fix any issues, be sure to add an 'Owner Maintenance" log. This gets rid of the 'Needs Maintenance' attribute and informs geocachers that your geocache is good to go. Learn how to do this here.

Thanks and Happy Geocaching,

joan

aka

suchanana" ... somedays humor is just the right medicine

I'll be sure to start posting notes directly to your cache listings for any maintenance issues you don't fix up within two weeks.

oops... :bad: see what happens when i try to be funny after a night of imbibing adult beverages with friends... sent the email after composing on site, but forgot ( mea culpa) to delete original thought processes... guess i'm not ready for primetime... this was practice for the upcoming MWGB Area51 - yeah, that's my story now and i'm sticking to it...

I'll be sure to start posting notes directly to your cache listings for any maintenance issues you don't fix up within two weeks.

oops... :bad: see what happens when i try to be funny after a night of imbibing adult beverages with friends... sent the email after composing on site, but forgot ( mea culpa) to delete original thought processes... guess i'm not ready for primetime... this was practice for the upcoming MWGB Area51 - yeah, that's my story now and i'm sticking to it...

Well, *I* thought it was funny, anyway. Thanks for the chuckle, even if not everyone saw it that way.

Well, *I* thought it was funny, anyway. Thanks for the chuckle, even if not everyone saw it that way.

I think it went completely over my head - apart from the somewhat menacing retort :unsure:

GS is strong and secure (right?) & can withstand your mild, gentle irony. And the reading audience enjoys it too.

Any other interesting "dirt"?! :anibad::ph34r:

I think it went completely over my head - apart from the somewhat menacing retort :unsure:

In a nutshell, the GeocachingHQ account, who recently sent out a Spring Maintenance newsletter reminding cache owners to clear their NM logs and replace full logbooks (etc) had multiple NM and full log book reports on three of their own caches. The OP perhaps took it a bit too far by sending an email to HQ (and possibly, from the sounds of it, posting notes to the cache pages. If so, those are now deleted).

</nutshell>

In a nutshell, the GeocachingHQ account, who recently sent out a Spring Maintenance newsletter reminding cache owners to clear their NM logs and replace full logbooks (etc) had multiple NM and full log book reports on three of their own caches. The OP perhaps took it a bit too far by sending an email to HQ (and possibly, from the sounds of it, posting notes to the cache pages. If so, those are now deleted).

</nutshell>

:laughing:

Thanks knowschad B)

If the OP were to send out an email to every geocacher reminding them of the need for maintenance without first tidying up their own caches, I think it would be warranted.

If the OP were to send out an email to every geocacher reminding them of the need for maintenance without first tidying up their own caches, I think it would be warranted.

Some people would not recognize a tongue in the cheek if it licked them.

Exactly

Are you referring to the OP's tongue-in-cheek, or are you saying that Keystone's reply was that?

I thought it was funny and ironic. The appropriate lackeys have been sternly disciplined :laughing: (For those who don't know, each of the HQ GeoTour caches are maintained by different lackeys. I can assure you that each of the "problem" caches will have new logbooks by day's end.)

Comedy and irony aside, it's completely fair to expect that the HQ caches should be held to the highest maintenance standards.

Are you referring to the OP's tongue-in-cheek, or are you saying that Keystone's reply was that?

Yes :blink:

I thought it was funny and ironic. The appropriate lackeys have been sternly disciplined :laughing: (For those who don't know, each of the HQ GeoTour caches are maintained by different lackeys. I can assure you that each of the "problem" caches will have new logbooks by day's end.)

Comedy and irony aside, it's completely fair to expect that the HQ caches should be held to the highest maintenance standards.

+1 for retaining your funny bone. :)

I'm sure that one was, not so sure about the other. Could just be me, I guess.

Thanks for taking it so well, Rock Chalk!

I'm sure that one was, not so sure about the other. Could just be me, I guess.

Thanks for taking it so well, Rock Chalk!

I know both parties and I know they know each other. I would vote for gentle ribbing but YMMV.

They certainly meet the highest "fun" standards. This series gave me the best urban caching day I've ever had. I was literally laughing out loud as a cache popped up in the middle of a busy coffee shop and no one even raised an eyebrow. Amazing what can be done when the neighborhood is supportive. but that's a topic of its own...

edit to add... a milestone post! glad it was on a positive note!

Edited by hukilaulau