How long do you stick around the cache area?

Sorry if there's already a post about this, I tried searching but didn't find anything. I'm new to this and just started a couple days ago. I'm having so much fun with it! Took a half day trip today where we picked up 11 caches in random spots along the way if it was convenient for us. However, each cache was mainly a quick 'cache and dash' as I suppose they're called. A couple were larger in nicer areas like parks.

So my question is, how much time do you spend around a cache? I know C&D's are just in little spots to sign and go, but do you treat larger caches the same? Do you move quickly or do you take some time with them and enjoy the area they are hidden in? I know it's sort of expected to be quick at times to not draw attention, but I never know if I'm spending enough time in certain locations enjoying the area it brought me to.

Just curious about how others spend their time caching!

The amount of time I spend searching for a cache depends on many factors. If it's rated a low-difficulty cache, for example, then I'll usually spend less time looking since it's more likely to be simply missing rather than well hidden. Similaly, if the last few geocachers have logged DNFs, then I'll usually spend less time looking for the same reason. Is it currently raining or bitter cold? Are there lots of mosquitoes? Is there a great view so I don't mind hanging around longer? Did I walk or drive a long way to find this particular cache?

Edited by CanadianRockies

I tend to enjoy the environment on the move, during the whole experience - not just at the cache location, so casting my mind back I'd say I rarely linger at the cache location itself more than a few minutes - unless stopping to eat / for a short break before resuming the journey.

Although I have been known to hunt for a single cache for anything up to an hour, and sometimes go back to the same location multiple times to nail past DNF's.

"Until I'm not having fun anymore." (Cannot recall from whom the quote is.)
I've used that phrase in response to a different question ("How long do you search?"), but it applies to this one too.

At one extreme are the urban micros, where I walk past, grabbing the cache as I go, then sign the log elsewhere, and finally walk past again, replacing the cache as I go. The actual time I spent at the cache location could be measured in seconds. Even counting the time I spent reading the hint, spotting the hide, and signing the log, the time I spent in the area would have been just a few minutes.

At the other extreme are caches in pleasant locations, with large log books that contain more than dates and signatures, when I don't have anyone with me who is urging me to hurry up so we can get going. Or maybe, a cache in a pleasant location, when Mrs niraD is with me and we've brought a picnic lunch. I've spent more than an hour at some cache locations.

This has been asked several times, but searching for it might be tricky. You might have to use search words like: how long search

I've already responded to two of them. Geocaching challenge: See if you can find where MountainWoods did reply to previous threads on the same topic.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Gives me a better idea of how much time to be spending looking for a cache and sticking around once it's been found!

Also super sorry I asked a question that has been asked a bunch! I appreciate your patience with my probably annoying newbie status!

Depends on the spot. More than once, I've enjoyed a cache site so much that I camped out there all night or even all weekend. Loved this spot, and this one too. (In fact, if anyone stops by the last one, please look for the cache -- the owner archived it without picking it up, and our geocoin is stil there. But I digress.) In those cases, of course, I was looking for a place to stop for the weekend.

I always read the cache description first. If it points out some feature I'm supposed to notice, then I make it a point to notice it (even if it's boring). I'll sit for a while if I've just hiked up a mountain, but don't spend any time hanging around the side of the road looking at the rock the 35mm film can was under.

It really depends on the cache. A micro under a lamp post cover, as little time as possible. A back country cache with a nice view much longer.

In the old days <_< when there weren't that many caches I might spend a whole day to find just one, so we spent a lot longer at the cache. From a log posted in July 2003 "The view from here is great! Spent some time listening to the radio, after tuning it to a country station and enjoying the view." :D

I'll stop looking when I stop having fun. If I know it's a difficult hide I will go there mentally prepared to spend some time there. I've spent over an hour looking for a particularly difficult cache. For an cache of ordinary difficulty, I usually stop having fun after about 15 to 20 minutes. It also depends on the location. If it's an enjoyable location, I'm willing to put in more time. If it's some mundane park n grab, I may give it a minute or two before I'm done with it.

Edited by briansnat

Another factor I use to determine how long i'll look is who hid it. You'll find that after awhile you'll get used to how certain CO's hide their caches and it may make it quicker to find them. Yesterday I headed out to grab a few caches along the way to a neighboring town and stopped for one in particular that was an easy T/D. Spent about five minutes before I remembered who hid it, all the while thinking "this should be easier". Remembered that this CO hangs his hides in trees and almost immediately spotted it.

I didn't used to read the hints and logs before a search. After searching for too many caches that were DNF'd more than Found, I started reading the logs and spending less time, if any, searching for those. Don't be afraid to log Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived (if applicable) on these types of caches.

How long I search depends on the owner, the log history, and any other number of variable factors. Just enjoy the hobby!

Oh, and if/when you go Premium Member, you can filter searches and Pocket Queries by several means. I set up my PQ's to filter out Temporarily Disabled caches in particular to lesson the chance that I go looking for something that can't be found. You can filter by other factors things that you may not enjoy looking for as well...

So my question is, how much time do you spend around a cache? I know C&D's are just in little spots to sign and go, but do you treat larger caches the same? Do you move quickly or do you take some time with them and enjoy the area they are hidden in? I know it's sort of expected to be quick at times to not draw attention, but I never know if I'm spending enough time in certain locations enjoying the area it brought me to.

Just curious about how others spend their time caching!

Welcome to the game!

The actual search will depend a lot on the style of hide and the location. I've driven/walked past locations without ever stopping to hunt versus spending a couple of hours looking for a really difficult cache. The best advice -- as already offered a couple of times -- search until the fun goes out of it.

After the find? Many things come into play for me.

- If it's the only cache I am planning on doing that day, I am more likely to spend more time at the spot versus rushing off to the next cache.

- If the cache is in an interesting/nice location, such as a park or historic site, I'm much more likely to take time to enjoy the area than if it's hidden in a guardrail or a parking lot.

- If the cache is older, I'm more likely to spend time to browse the logbook to see which oldtimers have found it.

- If the cache is larger, I'm more like to read the logbook to see what people have written besides the date and their name.

- If I don't have anywhere else to be that day, I'll spend more time versus if I found the cache while on the way to do something else.

- If the cache has special meaning to me (hidden by a caching legend, really old cache, or required solving a difficult puzzle) I'll stop and savour the experience more.

I recently did a hike and picked up 15 caches along the way. I lingered at two of those caches more than the others. Reasons?

- They happened to be at a point where I was ready to take a bit of a break and doff my backpack and give the dog some water.

- One was in a beautiful meadow with great views versus just being stuck in the trees.

- One happened to have a really comfortable log to sit on located nearby.

- At one the sun came out and it just felt good to sit back and feel it on my face and I wanted to enjoy the moment.

To me it is how badly you need it.

Do you need it to qualify for a challenge?

Because you want to clear out your area?

I usually assess the cache

Is it a difficult one or out of my reach?

Is there any DNFs?

Is the area trashy?

Is the area scary?

Is it dangerous?

Are you on a schedule?

Is it getting late?

I've pulled up to locations and looked from my car and drove away and some I spend a long time or kept returning back to the cache.

I only do caches that require a hike of some kind to an interesting place! I almost always take a camera so I do hang around and enjoy the area - especially if there is a system of trails and features association with the location. I take lots of pictures and love to hike and enjoy new places. It is seldom about the cache for me - more about the place I am brought too! I quite often come back to enjoy a place more if time doesn't present itself while caching. I want to see it all!

Edited by GPS-Hermit