Monterra Inaccuracies

Because my Oregon 450 was occasionally losing some memory, including all caches, I recently bought a Monterra. I took it, my Oregon and my Wife's 76csx on a road trip. If we parked more than 30-40 feet from a cache, the Oregon and 76 would take us to the cache, but when we would find the cache, the Monterra would say we had anywhere from 40 to 150 feet to go. Over the 20 worst cases, the Monterra indicated there was an average of 75 feet to go. When we parked near the cache, the Monterra seemed to do fine Garmin suggested doing a Master Reset, which I did. I then used the Monterra to "find" one of my caches. When I got to the cache the Monterra indicated that I was still 250 feet away. Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and/or any suggestions.

Yes, I've checked that. I was using the preloaded Geocaching Profile, but still wondered the same thing. Because this is a completely different beast than my other Garmins, I wondered the same thing. I do know that's it's not locking on roads. Thanks

This comment:

When we parked near the cache, the Monterra seemed to do fine...

Strikes a chord in my dwindling memory.

From another thread about Garmin settings: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=328711&view=findpost&p=5458973 (check also the link posted within that thread)

Take note that there are TWO settings and both need to be set correctly (apparently is applicable only to Garmin units).

Thanks, but I had already set it to WGS84. After talking to Garmin again, I'm returning unit for replacement.

Perhaps you read the wrong posting. That particular post did not address datum (the post below it does).

-----------

I'll try this again, using copy/paste rather than a link:

There are TWO settings that you may need to adjust:

Make sure that LOCK ON ROAD is OFF

-and-

Choose OFF ROAD

...[edited out broken link]...

The (full) manual just doesn't address the matter very well.