'Log Your Visit' Not working

TwoNomadicBrits

Is there a problem with the site this morning? I'm just trying to log caches found in the last three days and the button 'Log Your Visit' on the cache page gives me this error message:

An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue.

I also get the same message if I click 'Log Visit' from the box that appears from the map before actually selected the link to view the complete cache page.

Is this a known bug today... or just me?!

I am experiencing the same problem, so it is not just you ! Let's hope this problem will be solved very quickly !

Is there a problem with the site this morning? I'm just trying to log caches found in the last three days and the button 'Log Your Visit' on the cache page gives me this error message:

An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue.

I also get the same message if I click 'Log Visit' from the box that appears from the map before actually selected the link to view the complete cache page.

Is this a known bug today... or just me?!

I am having the same problem. Was able to log a find early last evening, then later in the evening was unable. No change this morning.... very frustrating! Anyone have any suggestions? I so rarely have problems on this site that it's disconcerting when something doesn't work. Hope this is fixed soon!

I had this same issue several times last night and again this morning, just tried a few minutes ago and I am still getting the following message

An Error Has Occurred

tried at 11:01 am PDT

I am: WEB01

You are: 24.113.73.146

I hope this helps!

This definitely is not a global issue - I was able to log a couple of caches successfully this morning on the web site. If you encounter this error, could you please post the exact time when you hit it and what server you are on (back up one page from the error, view the page source, then look at the very bottom for server info, or visit http://www.geocaching.com/whoami)? Thanks!

Time - 19:06 BST

Server - WEB03

I've been getting it all day, but just seen your reply and tried it again.

Edited by TwoNomadicBrits

This definitely is not a global issue - I was able to log a couple of caches successfully this morning on the web site. If you encounter this error, could you please post the exact time when you hit it and what server you are on (back up one page from the error, view the page source, then look at the very bottom for server info, or visit http://www.geocaching.com/whoami)? Thanks!

It depends what you mean by "global issue". I´m experiencing these problems here in Austria ... I have several issues the last 12 hours, since about 6 hours I´m not able to post new logs ... regardless which cache I try to log ... There are also troubles visiting the stats etc.

"An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue."

ThanX.

I am: WEB16

You are: 81.217.xx.xx

Edited by der_mountainbiker

I can't give you an example, but this has been reported in Finland by several people. So that makes it pretty global :smile:

I am: WEB02

You are: 81.217.xx.xx

2100 local time (Austria)

I tried to log this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC49FFW_die-brucke-von-steinegg but it does not depent on special caches as I even can´t log ANY cache for now - even caches outside of Austria e.g.

Some hours before the whole site "http://www.Waymarking.com" has been down for hours which is now available again.

Seems the problem has something to do with cookies ... when I delete all cookies in Safari the error-page does NOT appear! Strange.

Have you tried to log a second one? I was able to log one this morning and then that was it.

I will give the cookies thing a try tomorrow. It's bed time now here in Turkey :)

I was using a MacBook earlier, so maybe it's a safari issue, but it's the first time I've had this problem and I've not changed any of my settings (or downloaded the newest update I keep getting reminders for!).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not seeing anything corresponding to these events in the logs on the indicated servers, so a dev is likely going to have to investigate, provided we can get more information.

Have you tried logging out and back in? A cookie issue could be at the root of the problem as der_mountainbiker has suggested (we have been making changes around that and session state in order to improve performance). Please try clearing cookies and then let me know if the issue clears up and/or returns.

Thanks for your patience.

FWIW, I have no problems here in Western Canada on two completely different Windows systems (work and home) using IE, Chrome, and Firefox. I am WEB01 and WEB02 on the respective systems.

However, when I just tested from my iPhone using Safari, I get the error message whether I'm connected to wifi or just using the cell network. On wifi, I'm WEB18, and on the cell data I'm WEB16.

I could log all my caches and TBs using Firefox instead of Safari on OS X 10.10.4.

Log out/log in did not change anything in Safari.

When I delete all cockies and go to "Log your visit", the for the moment usual error page does not appears but the information that I should log in ...

In Firefox no troubles at all, sole the average D/T rating is not shown (broken icon instead).

I'm on WEB 02 at 3:56CDT. Here is what I see. I'm using an iPad via wifi. Latest Safafi and IOS. I cannot log a cache so I clear and log out completely from GC web page. Then I go to Settings and clear cookies and history. Then I log back into GC web page, go to cache in question and I can log it. However, if I go to another cache to log, BANG, the error message returns.

So, by exiting, clearing cookies, re entering GC, I can log only one cache without getting the error.

From the data compiled so far it appears possible that the cookie is in some instances storing the last log date in a format that it then cannot subsequently read. This would explain why the first log works after clearing cookies, but not the next one.

For those who are running into this, could you please provide:

• The browser and version you are using, and on what platform
  • What your language/region settings are on the device running that browser
  • Your chosen date format

Thanks again!

We pushed out an update about 20 minutes ago that we think will address the problem (although we can't be sure as we have not been able to repro this issue in-house). Can you check and see if you still run into this problem?

Jon, just logged four caches without issue. Thanks for the quick work on this fix!

We pushed out an update about 20 minutes ago that we think will address the problem (although we can't be sure as we have not been able to repro this issue in-house). Can you check and see if you still run into this problem?

Nice job of deducing the problem and implementing a fast fix! Well done!