google earth geocaching kml plugin broken?

D_Jakke

I am experiencing the same problem. The Geocaching.Com viewing feature of Google Earth has worked flawlessly for me for a few years and suddenly a month or so ago, it's virtually stopped working. I locate an area where I should be able to find some geocaches and the "icon" within Google Earth goes from "green" to "red". This is VERY frustrating and as I have a vacation planned in 3 weeks where I have the possibility of getting up to 7 new states, I will be very upset if I miss out on caches because I can't locate ones nearby me. PLEASE let us know what if anything you are doing about this problem. If you need further information, I will be HAPPY to provide it. This needs to be resolved!!!!!!!!!

This is VERY frustrating and as I have a vacation planned in 3 weeks where I have the possibility of getting up to 7 new states, I will be very upset if I miss out on caches because I can't locate ones nearby me.

If you have software like GSAK you can start running PQ's for the areas you're going to, filter out what you don't need and load what you do need onto your GPS.

If you take your laptop with you, you can even refresh data while traveling and load caches for the next day only in case your GPS can't handle large amounts of data.

I wouldn't use GE to plan a trip anyway, I just use it to locate a cache near the center of where we will be going and download caches within a circle or rectangle.

This is VERY frustrating and as I have a vacation planned in 3 weeks where I have the possibility of getting up to 7 new states, I will be very upset if I miss out on caches because I can't locate ones nearby me.

Unless you're going to be taking a very long vacation you're only going to be able to find a small fraction of the total number of caches in 7 states. You'll get credit for the new state (and a souvenir) for only finding one cache in each state. Missing a few doesn't like it would be a big deal.

I wouldn't use GE to plan a trip anyway, I just use it to locate a cache near the center of where we will be going and download caches within a circle or rectangle.

Agreed. There are several ways to create a list of caches to find while planning a trip.

My guess with this issue is that the feature is provided courtesy of Geocaching Australia, and for some reason they have decided to only allow GCA caches to appear on Google Earth. I can see ALL the GCA caches on GE, but not GC caches (like I used to). If this is the case, I hope GCA can come to an arrangement (maybe with Geocaching.com) to re-instate all the caches.