Finding trackables

CruizerPals

The only effective way is to find a cache and look in it.

Cache pages show if a trackable has been logged into the cache. But that's all that means. They may not have actually been placed in the cache. The may have been taken out, and not logged yet. They may have been muggled. Taken out of the cache and not logged at all. The may be in caches and not logged in yet. Or not logged in because the cacher doesn't know how.

Basically, it's possible, but not effective.

You can run a PQ to search for trackables in a cache -- that is one of the parameter choices.

However.... what T.D.M.22 said above still applies. You would need to read the logs of each and every trackable listed as "being" present in the cache to determine whether there is or is not any chance it would still be there. Certainly better than driving 10-15 miles to find it is not present, wouldn't you say?

Trackables are some of the more mis-logged things involved in geocaching.

If you want to just grab a TB to take along on an adventure (and then drop it off elsewhere), I suggest "watch"ing a nearby previously found TB hotel or other cache which TBs frequent. Then when a TB is logged in, you can go fetch it. But please move the TB along (and towards its goal) within a reasonable amount of time. I try to drop off TBs within a week of grabbing them... unless I'm going to take it some distance on upcoming travels, then maybe I might hold it for a bit longer. I try hard to avoid holding any TB longer than two weeks.

Edited by CV Kurt

Rather than grabbing a Trackable to lug around for a while, check the Trackable's page to find out what that Trackable's goal is. Some are trying to reach a specific city or even cache. Others want to log as many miles as possible or visit as many caches as possible. It's always best to try to help the Trackable toward its goal, if a goal is stated.