Premium Membership

DHMcaching

My wife and I have been contemplating getting the Premium Membership which will eventually happen since we are both totally hook on geocaching and our 3yr old son loves finding the "TREASURE" as he says. I just have a few questions about it I hope someone can answer. 1) When purchasing thru either website or app do you get the content on both as I see the price on either are a little different. 2) Can the app be used even when out of wifi or internet range? Any help on these would be great thanks!!!!!

HAPPY GEOCACHING DHMcaching

1] Premium Membership is all-encompassing, regardless if obtained through the app or through the website... so it is your choice on which method of purchase you use. It really shouldn't be two different prices, unless you must pay some tax or there is a currency "adjustment".

2] The app can be used outside of receiving areas, but the data needs to be loaded and saved first (just like using a dedicated GPSr). To have active searches, you need either wifi or data connection.

EDIT to add: you DO NOT need data service to geocache (assuming the data was previously saved). The GPS chip functions without data service.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

My wife and I have been contemplating getting the Premium Membership which will eventually happen since we are both totally hook on geocaching and our 3yr old son loves finding the "TREASURE" as he says. I just have a few questions about it I hope someone can answer. 1) When purchasing thru either website or app do you get the content on both as I see the price on either are a little different. 2) Can the app be used even when out of wifi or internet range? Any help on these would be great thanks!!!!!

HAPPY GEOCACHING DHMcaching

First of all, make sure you are aware of the difference between Premium Membership and the paid app.

They are two completely different, unrelated things.

Premium Membership is an annual subscription ($30.00/year approx)

Help Center - Premium Membership

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

The paid apps are separate purchases. They are not included in the Premium Membership subscription.

You don't mention which platform you would be interested in.

Help Center - Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

2.2. What is the Difference Between the Free Geocaching Intro App, the Paid Geocaching App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=514

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You look to be located in Canada, so the difference in price is not the difference between US dollars and EU or pounds.

So I'm thinking you are confusing the Premium Membership with the Paid Pro App.

PM is about $30.00 per year.

I think the Paid Pro App is $10.00 once, unless you change platforms.

B.

Thanks for your replies. So as I understand from above the PM and the APP are two separate features and purchases. Yes Pup Patrol I am in Canada and Iphone is my platform. The app is $11.99 one time fee from what I understand. How I got 2 different prices for PM is on the website I can purchase for $29.99 for 1 yr then when on the free app its saying upgrade to premium for 3 month is 11.99 and $34.99 for 1 year and I'm sure tax would be added to both prices.

DHM

Thanks for your replies. So as I understand from above the PM and the APP are two separate features and purchases. Yes Pup Patrol I am in Canada and Iphone is my platform. The app is $11.99 one time fee from what I understand. How I got 2 different prices for PM is on the website I can purchase for $29.99 for 1 yr then when on the free app its saying upgrade to premium for 3 month is 11.99 and $34.99 for 1 year and I'm sure tax would be added to both prices.

DHM

That's very interesting.

I'm in Canada, too, and I don't recall paying tax. I used to be able to send GS a cheque for $30.00 and didn't add tax or have it converted to US dollars.

Check out this page:

https://payments.geocaching.com/?upgrade=true

I think it's easier and cheaper to just buy the one-year PM. $30.00 for one-year of geocaching...how many Timmies does that equal?

:D

Oh, and I didn't comment about the apps because I don't use a phone, so I don't have a clue.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

1 - The Paid for app shows more caches and more cache types, than the free app.

But not Premium Member Only caches.

2 - Premium Membership will show more caches and cache types on the 'free' app, but not all -at the present time... But will show Premium Member Only caches.

3 - Here in the UK, tax (VAT)is paid on Premium Membership...

Seems there IS a difference in cost if you go through Groundspeak (USA) or via Apple/iTunes which is registered in Holland for Tax purposes... :huh: