I wish...

Aside from privacy issues, how would it work? A GPS unit only receives signals, it doesn't send any out. Neither does a smartphone navigating with data off. And what about those who are not navigating to a geocache, but waypoints(manually entered that is.)

Edited by T.D.M.22
how would it work? A GPS unit only receives signals, it doesn't send any out. Neither does a smartphone navigating with data off.

Yeah, this would require a connected App. Well, actually it may not. When you see a car arrive and a couple of people poking around the planter where the cache is hidden, consider yourself notified. :anicute:

NeonGeo has a feature called "Follow Me", where anyone enabling it can see where others are as well. I used it to meet up with a traveling group of cachers, so I didn't have to just wait at one cache all day. It's not actually a notification, but it could be done.

Edited by kunarion

So last night I got a message from someone who couldn't find our cache & wanted another hint.. So I gave them a hint & snuck out to watch them find it.. I got it on video! It was way too fun watching them. Here it is:

What could be better than watching people that were videoed without their knowledge and no doubt without their consent looking for a cache hidden on private property without permission. And then blasted all over the internet for all to see. Not a class act for sure.

So last night I got a message from someone who couldn't find our cache & wanted another hint.. So I gave them a hint & snuck out to watch them find it.. I got it on video! It was way too fun watching them. Here it is:

What could be better than watching people that were videoed without their knowledge and no doubt without their consent looking for a cache hidden on private property without permission. And then blasted all over the internet for all to see. Not a class act for sure.

thanks for grabbing that quote, jholly.

It's very, very creepy that someone is videotaping people secretly. Doesn't matter if you can see their faces or not.

I hope you put it in big, bold letters at the top of your cache page:

Cache owner might be secretly videotaping you.

eww. how creepy. We won't do caching in people's front yards, and you've just added another reason not to.

wait, this isn't even on your property?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Just so you all know, I contacted the geocachers in the video, and they think it's awesome. Not everyone is a paranoid stick in the mud I guess..

I did the video in fun of the game. I'm not a creeper. You all need to learn to loosen up and not take things so seriously. Like I stated before, you can't even see their faces, & this was a one time thing. You can all go on with your uptight lives now, thanks.

... for cache owners to just give a hint instead of running out with a camera to violate my trust and privacy.

In the US, except in very limited situations, there is no such thing as privacy when in a public place.

Edit to add: The above statement is true when it comes to images, including video. However, it is not true when it comes to conversations, including video. That is treated the same as illegal wiretaping. So remember, if the faces are recognizable, that is legal. But if you can hear them shout "I FOUND IT!" on the recording, that is illegal.

Edited by AustinMN

Also, not that anyone would know this, but there are signs on our street that notify others that they are on camera. Our neighbors have security cameras posted. This was completely legal.

Security cameras don't typically record voices. Video cameras do.

Edited by AustinMN

Also, not that anyone would know this, but there are signs on our street that notify others that they are on camera. Our neighbors have security cameras posted. This was completely legal.

Security cameras don't typically record voices. Video cameras do.

Good thing you can't hear anyone say "I found it" in this video.

... for cache owners to just give a hint instead of running out with a camera to violate my trust and privacy.

In the US, except in very limited situations, there is no such thing as privacy when in a public place.

I don't live in the US and I didn't invoke the law in my comment.

Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean it's a decent, kind, or trustworthy way to behave toward other geocachers.

Okay, what about the hide is placed on private property without permission. A direct violation of the guidelines and you had to lie about this when you clicked the check box that you had adequate permission.

Okay, what about the hide is placed on private property without permission. A direct violation of the guidelines and you had to lie about this when you clicked the check box that you had adequate permission.

It's not on private property! Can't you clearly see its on a telephone/electrical pole? If you can't even tell that, how can you see anything about these people that would infringe on their privacy? Also, I said above I HAVE THEIR PERMISSION TO POST THIS VIDEO!!!

I don't live in the US and I didn't invoke the law in my comment.

Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean it's a decent, kind, or trustworthy way to behave toward other geocachers.

See above comments! I have permission from the geocaching members in the video to have this video posted.

Edited by TheShaw3

thanks for grabbing that quote, jholly.

It's very, very creepy that someone is videotaping people secretly. Doesn't matter if you can see their faces or not.

I hope you put it in big, bold letters at the top of your cache page:

eww. how creepy. We won't do caching in people's front yards, and you've just added another reason not to.

wait, this isn't even on your property?

B.

FYI, I have permission from the people in this video to have it posted!

It's not on private property! Can't you clearly see its on a telephone/electrical pole?

A utility pole is private property. Unless you've obtained explicit permission from the relevant utility company, your cache does not have permission to be there.

It's not on private property! Can't you clearly see its on a telephone/electrical pole? If you can't even tell that, how can you see anything about these people that would infringe on their privacy? Also, I said above I HAVE THEIR PERMISSION TO POST THIS VIDEO!!!

I know it is on the power pole. That is obvious to the casual observer. That pole pole is owned by the power company. That makes it private property, a very simple concept. I'm willing to bet that you did not ask for permission and I'm willing to bet if you did ask the answer was no. They are pretty touchy about their poles. How does the permission to post the video extend to permission to hide a cache on private property? I'm confused.

Actually, a telephone/utility pole has a good chance of being private property. The local utility or phone company probably owns the pole.

In addition, for pole located on private property, access to the pole may be granted to the utility by the land owner via an easement. This is not a public access easement. I have two pole on my property. The are owned by the local power company, and the easement is for the power company, and any other companies that are leasing space (phone company) on the pole.

Skye.

WOW, a bunch of us at the same time.

Edited by Wet Pancake Touring Club

FYI, I have permission from the people in this video to have it posted!

You didn't obtain their permission until after you had already recorded the video. At the time you recorded them, you were secretly videotaping them. These people were okay with that, but not everyone would be.

I'm gonna say you pretty effectively made the case for NOT notifying COs when someone is visiting their cache.

It's one thing to video yourself looking for a cache. It's very inappropriate to video and then post to the internet someone else looking for a cache without their knowledge.

And here I thought I had seen it all. :huh:

Just so you all know, I contacted the geocachers in the video, and they think it's awesome. Not everyone is a paranoid stick in the mud I guess..

I did the video in fun of the game. I'm not a creeper. You all need to learn to loosen up and not take things so seriously. Like I stated before, you can't even see their faces, & this was a one time thing. You can all go on with your uptight lives now, thanks.

I'm pretty loose when it comes to geocaching and I think that constitutes grounds for having your caches archived. Seriously.

Do I see a new Two Ponds thread here? :ph34r:

No, I think this one is much more clear-cut. The cache is hidden on a utility pole (as evidenced by their video, the spoiler photo on the cache listing, and their own admission), likely without the proper permission. No he-said/she-said, no ambiguous property lines, no behind-the-scenes discussions with Groundspeak. It's just another run-of-the-mill no-permission cache.

Edit to add: The above statement is true when it comes to images, including video. However, it is not true when it comes to conversations, including video. That is treated the same as illegal wiretaping. So remember, if the faces are recognizable, that is legal. But if you can hear them shout "I FOUND IT!" on the recording, that is illegal.

Legal or not, it's inappropriate and I would hope we would hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I know people put deer cams out at caches. I'm ok with that up to the point that you start posting them on the internet.

There's a guy who used to go around a film people in public places as a statement that hey, you are being filmed all the time by closed circuit video. And he's right. Legally, what he does is fine.

But it's not always about what is legally or technically allowed. Sometimes you have to just do what is right because it's the right thing to do.

My cache was approved by a reviewer. I told them exactly where it was hidden, they approved it. Seriously, you all need to find something better to do than attack an innocent person just having fun. No rules have been broken & the members involved have given me permission to keep the video up. So whether or not you like it, it's not your problem. Don't like it? Don't find our caches. I don't care.

...and to TheShaw3, we're not trying to be sticks-in-the-mud. The permission guideline is in place for the good of the game as a whole. If land managers find out we're hiding caches on private property without permission, they could ban geocaching on their land. This has already happened in some areas, putting great cache-hiding areas completely off-limits.

It's in everyone's best interest to make sure each cache is allowed to be where it is and to not get on the bad side of land managers.

Edit: Cross-posted. I wonder if that reviewer is aware that utility poles are almost always private? I would think so, but you never know...

Edited by The A-Team

Legal or not, it's inappropriate and I would hope we would hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I know people put deer cams out at caches. I'm ok with that up to the point that you start posting them on the internet.

There's a guy who used to go around a film people in public places as a statement that hey, you are being filmed all the time by closed circuit video. And he's right. Legally, what he does is fine.

But it's not always about what is legally or technically allowed. Sometimes you have to just do what is right because it's the right thing to do.

It's creepier to me that someone would record people finding their caches for their own private enjoyment.

...the members involved have given me permission to keep the video up.

The issue people have with your actions isn't the posting of the video, but rather the secret recording. Seriously, you wouldn't find it at all creepy to find out that some random person had been videotaping you without your knowledge? It could be happening right now! :ph34r::laughing:

...and to TheShaw3, we're not trying to be sticks-in-the-mud. The permission guideline is in place for the good of the game as a whole. If land managers find out we're hiding caches on private property without permission, they could ban geocaching on their land. This has already happened in some areas, putting great cache-hiding areas completely off-limits.

It's in everyone's best interest to make sure each cache is allowed to be where it is and to not get on the bad side of land managers.

Edit: Cross-posted. I wonder if that reviewer is aware that utility poles are almost always private? I would think so, but you never know...

So, you're telling me all geocaches hidden on guard rails, in national parks, in electrical boxes.. Should I go on here... . Have ALL been approved by the landowners/ state/highway trans.? Yeah, ok.

Edited by TheShaw3

My cache was approved by a reviewer. I told them exactly where it was hidden, they approved it. Seriously, you all need to find something better to do than attack an innocent person just having fun. No rules have been broken & the members involved have given me permission to keep the video up. So whether or not you like it, it's not your problem. Don't like it? Don't find our caches. I don't care.

I've noticed the California reviewers, like the Georgia reviewers, are pretty loose when it comes to placing cache on private property. Just be hsppy you don't live in an area where the reviewers do care if the guidelines are followed.

...the members involved have given me permission to keep the video up.

The issue people have with your actions isn't the posting of the video, but rather the secret recording. Seriously, you wouldn't find it at all creepy to find out that some random person had been videotaping you without your knowledge? It could be happening right now! :ph34r::laughing:

Nope. That's why I conduct myself in a way that I wouldn't mind being seen in public.

I've noticed the California reviewers, like the Georgia reviewers, are pretty loose when it comes to placing cache on private property. Just be hsppy you don't live in an area where the reviewers do care if the guidelines are followed.

So happy.

So, you're telling me all geocaches hidden on guard rails, in national parks, in electrical boxes.. Should I go on here... . Have ALL been approved by the landowners/ state/highway trans.? Yeah, ok.

No, they probably haven't been approved. That doesn't give you justification for doing the same thing, though. Right near the top of the listing guidelines is:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it.

I'm pretty loose when it comes to geocaching and I think that constitutes grounds for having your caches archived. Seriously.

Really? Even with permission from the cachers? I don't think you're right at all.

Edited by TheShaw3

You can bet your bippy that *any* traditional cache hidden in a national park has permission of the land manager, probably has been verified by the reviewer. Depending on the national forest you can bet the proper permit and permission has been obtained. And depending on the state, any cache in the state park has been properly vetted.

No, they probably haven't been approved. That doesn't give you justification for doing the same thing, though. Right near the top of the listing guidelines is:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it.

Well there sure are A LOOOOOT of caches out there that should be removed then. How many of them have you found?

You can bet your bippy that *any* traditional cache hidden in a national park has permission of the land manager, probably has been verified by the reviewer. Depending on the national forest you can bet the proper permit and permission has been obtained. And depending on the state, any cache in the state park has been properly vetted.

Yeah, sure.

Really? Even with permission from the cachers? I don't think you're right at all.

I am definitely feeling the generation gap more and more. I grew up in an age and time before cameras were on every street corner, every grocery store, and every doorstep. I grew up in an age before everyone posted every minutia of their life on the internet for all to see.

Perhaps I am just a relic of a time passed by. Maybe the younger crowd is ok with people creeping around videoing their activities.

I'll just say I'm disappointed by some of the things people do nowadays and leave it at that.

Well there sure are A LOOOOOT of caches out there that should be removed then. How many of them have you found?

Probably very few. In my part of Canada, guard rails are rare and I can only recall finding one guard rail cache (it was early in my caching career and has since been archived). Caches can only be hidden in Canadian national parks by the park managers or under very specific and rare circumstances, and the British Columbia provincial parks are covered by a blanket geocaching policy. Electrical box and utility pole caches only last a short time until someone reports them, because BC Hydro has explicitly stated that caches may not be hidden on or beside their equipment.

It sounds like the cachers in your area are much more likely to just look the other way, which is unfortunate.

It is at this point that narcissa is probably really glad that she lives in Canada.

Well, you all have fun being a bunch of old paranoid fogies. I've reported this thread to moderators myself. I'm being harassed. If I have violated any rules, I can own up to that. And if so, it was not intentional. Get my caches archived! What will I do? Open a new account and hide new ones, have fun & stay away from trolls on this site that have nothing better to do than squash the fun a stay at home mom was having with her kid. Thanks for showing me what you're all really like. Bye!

Edited by TheShaw3