Projecting Waypoint Bearing in eTrex 20

BramblingRose

I am trying to project a waypoint in Garmin eTrex 20. I can do everything except project a decimal point in the bearing degree. I am supposed to project a bearing of 299.5 degrees. I can enter 299 but it won't allow me to enter the decimal 5. I have found the screen of punctuation that SHOULD allow me to enter the decimal 5, but it just won't move off the last 9 in the digits. I have searched but I do not see the answer anywhere. Can anyone advise me? Thanks.

I am trying to project a waypoint in Garmin eTrex 20. I can do everything except project a decimal point in the bearing degree. I am supposed to project a bearing of 299.5 degrees. I can enter 299 but it won't allow me to enter the decimal 5. I have found the screen of punctuation that SHOULD allow me to enter the decimal 5, but it just won't move off the last 9 in the digits. I have searched but I do not see the answer anywhere. Can anyone advise me? Thanks.

You cannot enter decimals for the bearing on the eTrex 20. How long a distance are you running the projection? A 0.5 degree difference at 1000 meters will yield an 8 meter difference.

You cannot enter decimals for the bearing on the eTrex 20. How long a distance are you running the projection? A 0.5 degree difference at 1000 meters will yield an 8 meter difference.

Oh, thanks. I guess that answers that question, although I am disappointed to know this. The bearing was 299.5 and the distance was 2505 meters -- so that would be about 20 meters difference, I guess. I used geocachingtoolbox.com and got a closer reading -- but its good to know about the etrex. Thanks for your reply.

Change to mils in the setup, then convert to 5324 mils in your projection bearing. This is equal to 299.475 degrees, so will be much closer. Mils has 6400 points in a circle for greater precision.

LOL. That's like measuring a chainsaw cut with a micrometer. How is being more precise than the creator of the cache going to make the result more accurate? Perhaps the actual setting should have been 299.667.

Change to mils in the setup, then convert to 5324 mils in your projection bearing. This is equal to 299.475 degrees, so will be much closer. Mils has 6400 points in a circle for greater precision.

LOL. That's like measuring a chainsaw cut with a micrometer. How is being more precise than the creator of the cache going to make the result more accurate? Perhaps the actual setting should have been 299.667.

If you understand how projecting a waypoint works you would know that the object is to find the cache which is at 299.5 degrees. Using degrees the GPSr allows only 299 or 300 to be entered. My method gets you much closer to 299.5 when you are in the field and only have your GPSr. This is how I would do it. Please explain your solution.

Edited by EScout

If you understand how projecting a waypoint works you would know that the object is to find the cache which is at 299.5 degrees. Using degrees the GPSr allows only 299 or 300 to be entered. My method gets you much closer to 299.5 when you are in the field and only have your GPSr. This is how I would do it. Please explain your solution.

Thanks for pushing me the right direction. I missed that you were talking about using mils on the GPS, which I didn't even realize was an option. You suggestion is a good solution that I'll keep in mind. So far the only projections I have encounter are for a few hundred feet so the extra precision hasn't been needed. Thanks again.