Pocket Queries - download GPX (not LOC) files

SJT_NZ

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been answered.

I want to download GPX files from a Pocket Query. I can create the query and it runs fine. In the drop down combo box I have selected the file format as "GPS Exchange Format (*.gpx)".

Notwithstanding, when I download the result the file is a LOC rather than GPX.

I'm obviously missing something obvious. Anyone able to assist?

Thanks in advance,

SJT_NZ.

This question pops up occasionally. Inevitably, it is from somebody trying to "download" the PQ projected preview results instead of actually running the query.

If there is no email stating that the query ran and is available for download, you have neglected to select the day-to-run, as Bear and Ragged has suggested.

The preview will indeed supply only .LOC files... the downloaded PQ data is all in .GPX format.

Thanks for the replies - very useful.

You are right that was probably trying to download the Preview rather than the query result.

That said, although I now seem to get a zip file with a GPX, it seems to be for one cache rather than all in the query result set.

I'm sure I'll get there and its all simply my own lack of familiarity and understanding - so thanks for all the assistance of those who've been there already.

Happy caching,

SJT.

Did you get an email saying that the Pocket Query had run? If it ran successfully, then you should have gotten email.

There are three steps to using PQs:

• Create the PQ - set the search criteria
  • Run the PQ - generate a saved copy of the geocache data (using the search criteria)
  • Download the PQ - download the geocache data (using the saved copy)

If you don't select a date for the PQ to run, and actually run the PQ, then the only thing you can do is preview the PQ. That won't let you download the data you want.

On the Your Pocket Queries page, below the green buttons for "Create a new Query" and "Find Caches Along a Route", there should be two tabs. The default tab is "Active Pocket Queries". The other tab is "Pocket Queries Ready for Download".

Can you select the tab "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" and tell us if there are any PQs listed there?

Thanks for the replies - very useful.

You are right that was probably trying to download the Preview rather than the query result.

That said, although I now seem to get a zip file with a GPX, it seems to be for one cache rather than all in the query result set.

I'm sure I'll get there and its all simply my own lack of familiarity and understanding - so thanks for all the assistance of those who've been there already.

Happy caching,

SJT.

When unzipped there should be two files, eg 1234.gpx and 1234.wpts.gpx

The first has all the caches in, the second has all the 'Additional Waypoints' for those caches.

How do you know the file only has one cache?

Fair call.

The size of the file appeared too large for a single cache but I opened it with a text editor and examined the XML. Admittedly not to the end of the file.

What I'm wanting to do is copy individual GPX files to a Garmin GPS based on a query rather than needing to click on each cache individually and then either 'Send to GPS' or down load the GPX file to a temporary directory and then do a bulk copy to the GPS.

I would have thought that this was something that was common?

Anyway, if I copy the single multi-cache GPX file produced by the pocket query to my Garmin it can't read it.

Any ideas / suggestions - and again thanks to those who've been there and take the time to pass on their experience. Really appreciated.

Fair call.

The size of the file appeared too large for a single cache but I opened it with a text editor and examined the XML. Admittedly not to the end of the file.

What I'm wanting to do is copy individual GPX files to a Garmin GPS based on a query rather than needing to click on each cache individually and then either 'Send to GPS' or down load the GPX file to a temporary directory and then do a bulk copy to the GPS.

I would have thought that this was something that was common?

Anyway, if I copy the single multi-cache GPX file produced by the pocket query to my Garmin it can't read it.

Any ideas / suggestions - and again thanks to those who've been there and take the time to pass on their experience. Really appreciated.

The unit cannot read the "single, multi-cache GPX file" because that single file - as you call it - is a zipped file. The GPS cannot read a zipped file as it has no mechanism with which to un-zip it. You need to do that with your computer PRIOR to loading.

An un-zipped GPX download from geocaching.com will produce two files (xxxxxxx.gpx AND xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx). You need to transfer both of those files to the unit.

Prepared directions for loading, step-by-step:

PC instructions for loading a Garmin GPS. Applicable to other units, but without the GARMIN tags and perhaps the GARMIN/GPX/ folder info.

Boot up the PC. Do not activate a browser.

Plug Garmin into PC, turn on Garmin and allow it to boot >

Connectivity would be revealed by an acknowledgement beep or such >

Open the PC "Start" Menu >

From there, open the "Computer" tab to display available drive units >

Your Garmin GPSr should be denoted as a drive, named as "Garmin" >

Click on that Garmin drive to open it >

Within, locate a folder named something like Garmin/GPX/ >

(If using a microSD card, that file should be on that card -- eTrex 10 units do not use a card)

Open a new window and locate the downloaded PQ data file >

(If that is a single zipped file, it must be unzipped first. Unzipping 'should' produce two files: xxxxxxx.gpx AND xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx)

Drag and Drop (or copy/paste) BOTH of those .gpx files to the Garmin/GPX/ folder >

Hover cursor over the Garmin drive and Right-Click to open a drop-down menu, select 'Eject'. The computer will tell you when it is safe to uplug the Garmin >

Turn off the Garmin and unplug it. Done!

Boot up the Garmin again and CHECK to make sure the geocache data loaded BEFORE going afield. It's a real pain to be miles from your computer to find out that no data was loaded.

NOTE: You should not "open" the downloaded GPX files or folder. It does you no good to do such, you cannot read them... you certainly should not alter or edit them.

If you have done such, discard that downloaded data. Run a new PQ and start over.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

An un-zipped GPX download from geocaching.com will produce two files (xxxxxxx.gpx AND xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx). You need to transfer both of those files to the unit.

The xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx will be produced ONLY if there are child waypoints in the caches selected by the PQ.

NOTE: You should not "open" the downloaded GPX files or folder. It does you no good to do such, you cannot read them... you certainly should not alter or edit them.

If you have done such, discard that downloaded data. Run a new PQ and start over.

Nonsense. The gpx file is a plain text file which can be opened in any editor and is very easy to read and understand. It can also be altered (edited) with care. As long as a copy of the original is saved, there is no harm in trying to edit the file if there is some reason such as making the cache names unique in the first few characters if the hider didn't.

Thanks - this was my experience.

I unzipped the file but it contained only one gpx file. I opened it with a text editor and was able to read what appears to be either XML or a variant of.

What didn't seem to work (but I need to recheck as I was in a hurry) was copying the (multi-cache) gpx file to my Garmin Montana 650t GPS which could then read them. I've downloaded individual cache gpx files previously and copied and used them successfully so I'm quite happy with the file directories and where to place them.

Thanks again,

S.

Thanks - this was my experience.

I unzipped the file but it contained only one gpx file. I opened it with a text editor and was able to read what appears to be either XML or a variant of.

Yes, it's XML.

Specifically, it's an XML file which uses the GPX schema with and a schema which defines Groundspeak GPX extensions. A schema is a files which describes which XML tags may be included in the file and the kinds of values that each element may contain.

GPX stands for GPs eXchange format and was created for exchanging waypoint information between applications and a GPS device. The G in GPX does not stand for geocache.

The Groundspeak extensions add definitions for elements that are specific to geocaching such as cache size, type, long and short description, hints, logs, and so on.

Awhile back there was a debate regarding whether not the addition of a "Nano" for cache would break applications on some GPS devices. The specification for cache "size" is such that any string is allowed but some GPS devices assume that it will only be micro, small, regular, large, or unknown.

As a test, I edited GPX file for a cache and changed the cache size from "micro" to "nano" and sent the GPX file to my Garmin Oregon. It displayed just fine but there's no guarentee that it would display correctly on all GPS devices or smart phone apps.