Wrong location on APP

TinkerJan

For the past several days, whenever I open my Geo APP, it shows me in a different location than I actually am. A few times my blue dot has randomly moved around while i was in the same place. Currently, it's showing me as located a few blocks from where I actually am. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks!

A few thoughts here;

First is what map? Depending on the map, and the location, it may actually be the map that's off, not your location. The maps be be correct at one location, but wrong at another. This is a natural issue making a spherical map flat, or even technical issues on the specific maps servers.

Second check your location services. Make sure both GPS and WiFi location is enabled. I had similar issues and checked and this changed everything.

Another, is how long are you allowing it to settle? With my iPhone 5s, when I open the paid app, it may be a few feet off, or a few kilometers. But it settles down after a (Short) wait.

Do you have GPS location services enabled? What location do other apps show?

When I've noticed my geocaching apps showing a wildly different location, it has been one of two things. Rarely, it has been a glitch where my location showed in the wrong place (sometimes hundreds of miles away) for a few minutes, but then returned to the correct location. But usually, it has been caused by GPS location services being disabled, so the other location services (cell tower triangulation and wifi networks) are used instead. Those other location services aren't as accurate, so my location was off by as much as a few hundred feet, but it was never wildly off (hundreds of miles), and it didn't return to normal after a few minutes. It did return to normal once I realized the problem and re-enabled GPS location services.