Promoting a Geocache Facebook Page

Hi,

In Cincinnati we have a facebook page for our local organization.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OKICachers/

A member was told we could not promote our page using the url link on our cache listings because it is a "closed" facebook page. Does this sound right? What's the difference between it and an "open" page? We only closed it due to spammers. The page admin has allowed anyone how can prove they were a geocacher to join ( a smart spammer could get a freebie account and joni)

OKIC is a 503 non-profit organization, all members are volunteers, and frankly we are penny ante - our annual "budget" is like $100. So does our facebook page fall into "commercial content" just because it is closed?

Maybe a separate question, but is there any restriction on posting the link above in my own logs. Can I say "found by a OKIC member https://www.facebook.com/groups/OKICachers/"?

A member was told we could not promote our page using the url link on our cache listings because it is a "closed" facebook page. Does this sound right?

Yes,those are the instructions to reviewers.

You cannot link to a page that requires joining or login simply to view.

A Facebook page can be set up to be viewed without login (but not commented on.) The Geocaching.com Facebook page is set up this way. I can see this page's content without a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/geocaching

Re links in logs, I doubt anyone is going to complain, and nothing there would violate the Terms of Use (which govern log content).

Try editing the Facebook page permissions, make it viewable without login. That would be the simplest solution.

Try editing the Facebook page permissions, make it viewable without login. That would be the simplest solution.

But then ANYBODY would be able to view it.

The group was closed immediately after I made a reference to something said about me, after I read it there. :laughing:

The group was closed immediately after I made a reference to something said about me, after I read it there. :laughing:

[Offtopic] I've found that if you want to make a comment about Keystone it is much more efficient to do it right here.[/offtopic]

[Offtopic] I've found that if you want to make a comment about Keystone it is much more efficient to do it right here.[/offtopic]

LOL no that got a buddy of mine banned from the forums! :rolleyes:

A member was told we could not promote our page using the url link on our cache listings because it is a "closed" facebook page. Does this sound right?

Yes,those are the instructions to reviewers.

You cannot link to a page that requires joining or login simply to view.

A Facebook page can be set up to be viewed without login (but not commented on.) The Geocaching.com Facebook page is set up this way. I can see this page's content without a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/geocaching

Re links in logs, I doubt anyone is going to complain, and nothing there would violate the Terms of Use (which govern log content).

That's the trick we can't change the page permissions. We are over 250 people and we couldn't open it up if we wanted to...

AH, now I do remember!!! :D

You could probably rejoin. That was around the time someone from our group got banned from the forums (and perhaps gc.com for a short time) and paranoia was running deep...

Hi Keystone, it has been a long time. One thought some one had was we could put a link our our OKIC public website and on that website put a link to our FB page. OR could we just say "find us on facebook" with no link on the cache description. Open to any other ideas that meet the agreement terms to plug our local group.

If you just put the correct and full facebookgroupname into your post everybody who would like to take a look at your group can simple copy and paste the name into facebook and look it up. Would that not be the easyest way to do so???

Greetings Isbine

If you just put the correct and full facebookgroupname into your post everybody who would like to take a look at your group can simple copy and paste the name into facebook and look it up. Would that not be the easyest way to do so???

Greetings Isbine

Yes I figured that would be a legit option

You could probably rejoin. That was around the time someone from our group got banned from the forums (and perhaps gc.com for a short time) and paranoia was running deep...

Hi Keystone, it has been a long time. One thought some one had was we could put a link our our OKIC public website and on that website put a link to our FB page. OR could we just say "find us on facebook" with no link on the cache description. Open to any other ideas that meet the agreement terms to plug our local group.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Sincerely,

Keystone Marx