Check your Hides, dear owners!

Kelux

It looks just like some of my camo painted caches.

In glass jars? Shame on you, BC! :lol:

If it wasn't for what appears to be spray paint, I would point out that it was not uncommon for folks in the depression days to hide money in mason jars out in the back yard. One favorite place for treasure hunters is beneath old fence posts.

Most of the caches listed on Garmin's site were cross listed, but I do recall several geocaches that were rejected there because of the glass container issue.

I would really like to know the location where this geocache container was found.

This is hard for me to believe because I thought more people knew about geocaching, but this also could be just a prank. :laughing:

Someone wrote in to HQ with information about where the jar was found. We checked the map and found no active or archived listings in the immediate area. Of course, it could've been a cache listed on another site. But nothing from Geocaching.com.

Up to $238. Wow.

Can you see any cache listing that been deny by a reviewer?

It looks just like some of my camo painted caches.

In glass jars? Shame on you, BC! :lol:

The oldest active multi-cache in Ontario (Canada) (Hidden June 2nd 2001 and still going) has always been a mason jar.

Interesting factoid. I wouldn't doubt it. Ripley made a living out of unusual things like that. Still doesn't make glass containers a good idea.

Someone wrote in to HQ with information about where the jar was found. We checked the map and found no active or archived listings in the immediate area. Of course, it could've been a cache listed on another site. But nothing from Geocaching.com.

Up to $238. Wow.

When running a search or using certain mapping tools, Reviewers and Lackeys can see all unpublished listings (archived or not) and all published listings that were later archived. That's why, whenever someone posts in the forums to say "I found a cache that isn't listed anywhere," a reviewer is often able to help by answering "that is the final of an archived multicache" or "that cache was not published because it was too close to the one you were actually searching for when you found it."

Up to $238. Wow.

When running a search or using certain mapping tools, Reviewers and Lackeys can see all unpublished listings (archived or not) and all published listings that were later archived. That's why, whenever someone posts in the forums to say "I found a cache that isn't listed anywhere," a reviewer is often able to help by answering "that is the final of an archived multicache" or "that cache was not published because it was too close to the one you were actually searching for when you found it."

I see this has been resolved but it could have been a stage of a multicache before child waypoints were required.

Last bid was $310 US. It blows my mind how much people were willing to pay for it. I'm not certain, but I don't think spray paint was around 40 years ago?

Spray paint has been around at least since the 1950's.

I believe the exact jars can be had brand new today.

Edited by AustinMN
Still doesn't make glass containers a good idea.

My 2nd cache to ever place was a camo taped jar similar to the one questioned in this thread. It was in a patch of woods and lasted close to 11 years before finally being muggled. In all that time, i never had a problem with moisture entering the cache.

I'm speculating that one reason some might find glass to be a bad idea is the locations they might be placed in. Hidden over concrete,, maybe not the best idea. On the otherhand, most of us use glass jars over hard surfaces everyday and rarely have problems.

I looked at the geocaching hide guidelines but didn't find anything pertaining to this. So, what am i missing? What's wrong with using glass containers in the right enviroments?

So, what am i missing? What's wrong with using glass containers in the right enviroments?

They can break, leading to nasty cuts, by instance... but in my opinion, the worst thing is that they can trigger fires, with hot sun rays.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

"On Jul-02-15 at 11:42:39 PDT, seller added the following information:

MYSTERY SOLVED! I have confirmed this IS a geocache item. The sale will be cancelled and the item removed from ebay tomorrow, I want to give everyone who was interested an opportunity to read this update, so to the high bidder, no fear, it's going to be cancelled along with your bid, and to all you fervent geocachers - yes I WILL be returning it to where I found it.

I was stunned by the interest and the level of bidding on this item, I never expected that, so it has been fun and interesting. I learned about geocaching and realized from many of the messages I received that probably the younger folks didn't understand the reference to Al Capone's vault so I'll educate on that, it was the 1980's I believe when a hidden vault was found that was believed to have belonged to Al Capone, a network made a huge production in a live prime time television show that millions of people tuned in to watch the opening of Al Capone's vault to see what it would contain, listening for an hour as various people speculated on the possible contents and when it was finally opened....absolutely nothing, not a coin, not a scrap of paper, nothing. Thus my reference to Al Capone's vault was indicating it could contain nothing.

Thank you to all the people who contacted me informing me what the item is so I didn't end up with a very disappointed buyer who no doubt would have felt deceived (except those rude people who accused me of being a liar and a thief and of knowing what the item was, clearly I didn't and I hope you'll think before you stick your foot in your mouth again).

Lastly, to all those who bid, thank you, I hope you aren't too disappointed. I would also encourage everyone to consider a donation to the organization I was going to share this with, I do NOT represent BEAKS, I do NOT work for them, I have not informed anyone there about this, I have just taken injured birds to them in the past and appreciate what they do, if this can bring them some donations, then it's provided an excellent service."

Up to $238. Wow.

Up to $238. Wow.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

MYSTERY SOLVED! I have confirmed this IS a geocache item. The sale will be cancelled and the item removed from ebay tomorrow, I want to give everyone who was interested an opportunity to read this update, so to the high bidder, no fear, it's going to be cancelled along with your bid, and to all you fervent geocachers - yes I WILL be returning it to where I found it.

I was stunned by the interest and the level of bidding on this item, I never expected that, so it has been fun and interesting. I learned about geocaching and realized from many of the messages I received that probably the younger folks didn't understand the reference to Al Capone's vault so I'll educate on that, it was the 1980's I believe when a hidden vault was found that was believed to have belonged to Al Capone, a network made a huge production in a live prime time television show that millions of people tuned in to watch the opening of Al Capone's vault to see what it would contain, listening for an hour as various people speculated on the possible contents and when it was finally opened....absolutely nothing, not a coin, not a scrap of paper, nothing. Thus my reference to Al Capone's vault was indicating it could contain nothing.

Thank you to all the people who contacted me informing me what the item is so I didn't end up with a very disappointed buyer who no doubt would have felt deceived (except those rude people who accused me of being a liar and a thief and of knowing what the item was, clearly I didn't and I hope you'll think before you stick your foot in your mouth again).

Lastly, to all those who bid, thank you, I hope you aren't too disappointed. I would also encourage everyone to consider a donation to the organization I was going to share this with, I do NOT represent BEAKS, I do NOT work for them, I have not informed anyone there about this, I have just taken injured birds to them in the past and appreciate what they do, if this can bring them some donations, then it's provided an excellent service."

So... how do we resolve this (or do we)? A cache on another listing site, perhaps? I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that. Yeah, it *could* happen... in a million years, maybe.

Up to $238. Wow.

Up to $238. Wow.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

So... how do we resolve this (or do we)? A cache on another listing site, perhaps? I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that. Yeah, it *could* happen... in a million years, maybe.

No, you are wrong. It was a cache submitted and rejected on Garmin's site because of the glass container issue. I was one of the peer reviewers there that rejected it in 2010. :ph34r:

The ebay listing is still active at this point and if that message was on the ebay page , it's not now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-capsule-Message-in-a-Bottle-Cash-stash-Al-Capones-vault-/252011337193?

It's obviously spray painted cammo. I've found glass jar caches a lot. There was one spot where it really worked well, although I don't think they're a good idea in general.

I've found caches in stumps that I had to pull them out of after the stump collapsed. I hate it when that happens.

I can't believe she really didn't open it.

No, you are wrong. It was a cache submitted and rejected on Garmin's site because of the glass container issue. I was one of the peer reviewers there that rejected it in 2010. :ph34r:

My, how time flies! :lol: