Lost and Found attribute

Hi,

i want to know if the arrtibute "Lost and Found" is still in use? I've found caches with 64 of the 66 attributes. The last are the climbing gear (thats an attribute i hope to score next week) but the other one is the L&F-attribute and i don't know how to get this one.

Can anybody help me with the explanation of the way this attribute should work / (caches in Holland does not exist with this attribute, maybe create one myself)?

thanks for your reply and Geo-regards from Holland,

Team Fozzy

Hi,

i want to know if the arrtibute "Lost and Found" is still in use? I've found caches with 64 of the 66 attributes. The last are the climbing gear (thats an attribute i hope to score next week) but the other one is the L&F-attribute and i don't know how to get this one.

Can anybody help me with the explanation of the way this attribute should work / (caches in Holland does not exist with this attribute, maybe create one myself)?

thanks for your reply and Geo-regards from Holland,

Team Fozzy

You would need a time-machine to go back 5 years, and be in Seattle.

http://www.geocaching.com/blog/2010/07/groundspeaks-lost-found-celebration-geocaching-coms-lost-found-video/

Geocachers from around the world celebrated ten years of geocaching at Groundspeak Headquarters in Seattle, Washington on July 4th, 2010. The Lost & Found Celebration brought together thousands of geocachers, dozens of Lackeys, Groundspeak’s mascot Signal the Frog, the Bubbleman, a dunk tank and The Founders of Geocaching.com.

Geocachers were also able to explore the Fremont neighborhood and earn a trackable HQ tag by completing a scavenger hunt.

Lost & Found Celebration (archived, of course)

http://coord.info/GC24GYW

Event Date: 07/04/2010

Groundspeak's Lost & Found Celebration

Join the Lackeys of Groundspeak from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm to celebrate 10 Years of geocaching! The Celebration will be held just outside of Groundspeak Headquarters, so you can log the HQ cache as you get to know your fellow geocachers and participate in all the fun activities we have planned for the day!

B.

Pup Patrol, I believe your post confused the Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration (a cache type) with the Lost and Found cache attribute.

As this question does not relate to "Getting Started" in geocaching, I'm moving the discussion to the Geocaching Topics forum.

Pup Patrol, I believe your post confused the Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration (a cache type) with the Lost and Found cache attribute.

As this question does not relate to "Getting Started" in geocaching, I'm moving the discussion to the Geocaching Topics forum.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC24GYW_lost-found-celebration has the same "Lost and Found" attribute as http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCHKAY_mod

This is listed in the attributes for both of those listings:

landf-yes.gif

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Actually the very last cache in the world with the L&F attribute is here in Estonia, of all places :D So time machine not needed just some warm clothes :laughing: This the cache: http://coord.info/GCHKAY

Why does this cache has this attribute? Was it a mistake?

Some other oddities:

Hidden : 01/25/2004

No logs until 2011, one of which is an "unarchive" log.

Older logs can be found at http://www.geopeitus.ee/aare/182#95919

B.

okay: who knows: i've put http://coord.info/GCHKAY on my watchlist and maybe, sometime, somehow we go to Estonia (we call it Estland).

Well, you might want to remove this from your watchlist now, as the attribute has been removed from the cache.

No mention on the cachepage why this is done, and who has done it though....

So now I'm back to have found all attributes but one. :(

If I recall correctly, the Lost and Found Tour attribute was only (properly) awarded to 10 Years! events, held in May 2010, that had a Groundspeak lackey in attendance. I hosted a 10 Years! event in Virginia and got the special event icon for the event, but we had no lackey in attendance, so no attribute.

My guess is that the Estonian cache in question was erroneously awarded the L&F attribute, and when this discussion revealed the fact, I assume a reviewer "fixed the glitch."

• Upvote 1

No mention on the cachepage why this is done, and who has done it though....

Whether it was a mistake or the owner was somehow able to add that attribute, there's no reason why this cache should have ever had that attribute. It just looks like the problem has been rectified by Groundspeak.

Wow, looks like there's going to be some disappointed cachers that thought they had gotten the L&F attribute. Skimming through the logs, it looks like some cachers made a special trip to that cache just to collect that one attribute. Hopefully, they took a screenshot of their attributes before the attribute was removed.

:signalviolin:

So somebody just removed the attribute from https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCHKAY_mod - - why? I am heading to Estonia for MegaEvent in July and my plan was to find this cache and get the last missing attribute. Is here anybody who can explain this?

I think you just did. They removed it before a megaevent to stop tons of folks from getting an attribute that didn't belong with the cache.

• Upvote 1

So somebody just removed the attribute from https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCHKAY_mod - - why? I am heading to Estonia for MegaEvent in July and my plan was to find this cache and get the last missing attribute. Is here anybody who can explain this?

I think you just did. They removed it before a megaevent to stop tons of folks from getting an attribute that didn't belong with the cache.

Since moderator wrote his answer I guess it is official info. Your not very polite answer wasn't needed here. And I guess you are aware that there are many caches that have attributes that should not be there.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

That attribute was awarded properly only to event caches held during 2010, and attended by a Lackey visiting from Geocaching HQ. That cache in Estonia does not meet the requirements.

Ok, If I understand you well there is no active geocache with L&F attribute. Is it correct?

There should not be any active caches with the L&F attribute, as it was only supposed to apply to select event caches that were held in May 2010. It's possible that some may still exist with an incorrectly applied attribute, like this cache, but I'm not aware of any.

Since moderator wrote his answer I guess it is official info. Your not very polite answer wasn't needed here. And I guess you are aware that there are many caches that have attributes that should not be there.

True, but this cache was published in 2004. That is LONG before the L&F attribute existed. If you look at the logs for that cache many of the finders went there expressly to get that attribute. I suspect the find rate will go down now...

I was looking for descriptions of attributes and found this old thread for the Lost and Found attribute.  It seems that it was finally decided that the L&F attribute was was for events in 2010 that had a GCHQ lackey visiting.  In 2020, there will be events celebrating 20 yrs of Geocaching, specifically one in Colby, KS (the nearest town of any practical size to hold an event) near Mingo.  Is there any consideration for bringing back the L&F for these events?

7 hours ago, WesKanDen said:

Is there any consideration for bringing back the L&F for these events?

Only  staff at GeocachingHQ could answer this question.  

I speculate yes, as part of rebranding the 10 Years! events as Community Celebration events, to recur every 10 years.  Not one and done, as originally created. But that's just me, speculating.

It's also possible that the answer is no, just because of this, that, or the other ;-)

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, WesKanDen said:

I was looking for descriptions of attributes and found this old thread for the Lost and Found attribute. 

It seems that it was finally decided that the L&F attribute was was for events in 2010 that had a GCHQ lackey visiting.  In 2020, there will be events celebrating 20 yrs of Geocaching, specifically one in Colby, KS (the nearest town of any practical size to hold an event) near Mingo.  Is there any consideration for bringing back the L&F for these events?

Similar to Isonzo Karst, if the site already renamed it to "community celebration events", I'd bet that "lost and found" isn't happening.

- I feel renaming it was cowing to the stat crowd,  but since it was renamed, who knows... A mail to HQ couldn't hurt...

Common sense says you won't receive recognition for something that was years before your start date. 

- If that ever happened, we'd have a heck-of-a-lotta people looking to become charter members.   :)

• Helpful 1

There was a blog post which mentioned the upcoming 20 year celebration, search the GC blog for '2020' tosee the whole thing, but here's a quote:

"We’re commemorating the 20th anniversary of geocaching with an awesome party in Seattle!

What: Geocaching 20th Anniversary Celebration

When: Saturday, August 15, 2020

Where: Seattle Center in Seattle, WA

For those who can’t visit Seattle for the Geocaching HQ Celebration, we’re working on details for community celebration events to mark the 20th anniversary. More information to come!"

The Lost and Found attribute wasn't assigned to all or even very many  10 Year! (community celebration) events, it was only those events that had a Lackey in attendance. Just so it's understood that the attribute is not the same as the cache type.

I owned and attended a 10 Year! event, but with no Lackey in attendance, it had no L&F attribute.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:38 PM, hal-an-tow said:

There was a blog post which mentioned the upcoming 20 year celebration, search the GC blog for '2020' tosee the whole thing, but here's a quote:

"We’re commemorating the 20th anniversary of geocaching with an awesome party in Seattle!

What: Geocaching 20th Anniversary Celebration

When: Saturday, August 15, 2020

Where: Seattle Center in Seattle, WA

For those who can’t visit Seattle for the Geocaching HQ Celebration, we’re working on details for community celebration events to mark the 20th anniversary. More information to come!"

Thanks hal-an-tow.  I saw the posting GCHQ, I just can't remember if it was right before or after I posted here.  I just wish they would be more forthcoming with details, not drop these little tidbits. 

Honestly I didn't expect any responses since the last previous post was from 2016.  I was just looking for some information on the L&F attribute and not looking to stir up anything.  After reading about the purpose of the L&F attrib, I was just thinking that with the significance of May 2nd and of Mingo, it would be interesting to consider it as a notable community event.

I also agree that it would require an HQ lackey and that GCHQ is the best to answer any of the questions...

Not to insult anyone, especially those posting in this string, but if anyone reading this is not familiar with May 2, 2000 or Mingo - here is a brief history lesson - May 2, 2000 is the day that the US Government turned off "Selective Availability" effectively making accurate GPS readings for civilians - thus accurate enough for Geocaching to be practical for everyday people.  Mingo was the 7th stash placed in the Great American Stash Hunt (which became Geocaching) and the oldest continuously maintained cache in the world.  Thus, the significance of the event up the road a bit from Mingo on May 2nd, 2020.

5 hours ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

Looks like with the "Lost and Found" attribute, Groundspeak devided the geocachers into two groups:
- wealthy geocachers who can afford an international flight to Seattle,
- all the other geocachers (the majority) who do not deserve this attribute because they are not wealthy enough.

That's only true if you consider attributes to be prizes or collectibles. To me, they're just a concise way of conveying information about a cache to potential seekers and something they can use in their PQ filters to select the caches they want to target or those they don't. There aren't many of the snow-related attributes on caches around here because it never snows, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

1 hour ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

Good point barefootjeff, thank you!

I think I am a little frustrated that I will never be able to qualify for certain attributes challenges because of attributes that are impossible to acquire.

Regards!

I had posted awhile back asking should we expect attributes to be accurate. The consensus on that was pretty much no. With the explosion of attribute challenge caches it only encourages CO's to place hard to get attributes to encourage folks to come to their caches. Some how I have 4 finds with scuba gear required. I personally need one more cache with livestock for a challenge where I need 50. In that case only once did I ever have a run in with free range cows and man mama cow did not like the dog I had with me on that find. I am a huge fan of challenges but attribute challenges tend to be bogus I'd rather have name challenges but those aren't allowed but attributes are. Go figure.

I truly wish that attributes would be accurate for the cache. I like the hike length ones and tree climbing these seem to be mostly accurate when used as it helps me personally. The rest seem to be random meh.

8 minutes ago, MNTA said:

I truly wish that attributes would be accurate for the cache. I like the hike length ones and tree climbing these seem to be mostly accurate when used as it helps me personally. The rest seem to be random meh.

Interesting that you should mention the hike length attributes as this came up in a discussion with a caching friend at the weekend. I'd always assumed that the attribute was for the distance from the starting point to the cache, so on one of mine that was a 6km hike I'd set the 1-10km attribute, but it seems the general usage around here, confirmed with a PQ of >10km hike caches, is that it's the length of the return journey. So I changed mine to >10km, checked that none of my other hides suffered the same ambiguity and added it as another learn something new every day titbit.

What would be helpful is a bit more of a description in the Help Centre on how some of these attributes are meant to be used. Another example is Available during Winter. It never snows here and, for the more strenuous caches, winter is the best time of year for them, so it's a pretty meaningless attribute in these parts yet a fair number of the caches here have it set. Also what constitutes a Significant Hike? I've used it on those hikes when you'll know you've been out hiking after you get home, but is that the intended usage?

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

I think I am a little frustrated that I will never be able to qualify for certain attributes challenges because of attributes that are impossible to acquire.

Isn't that what "stats" are all about ?    He who dies with the most toys wins...   Many are simply paying attention.

For example, you have locationless caches found.  Do you realize how many active during that time don't have any ? 

- It's enough that a "Temporary" bring back thread was started on it.  People wanting it for them because they missed out earlier  

Wanna bet that if asked for again ten years from now, they'd be the same people to say "That's not fair" ?  :D

As in most games, there's winners and losers.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

Looks like with the "Lost and Found" attribute, Groundspeak devided the geocachers into two groups:
- wealthy geocachers who can afford an international flight to Seattle,
- all the other geocachers (the majority) who do not deserve this attribute because they are not wealthy enough.

For the 10 Years! events in May 2010, the Lost and Found attribute was available at 10 Years! events that were attended by a Groundspeak lackey. (Not mine, sadly.)

Given that more people get to host Community Celebration Events this time compared to 2010, and the window for CCEs is open for 18 months and not just a weekend, hopefully more folks will end up with the Lost and Found attribute this time.

(Also, I'm a little confused by your sour grapes tone, seeing as how you have cached in 27 different countries.)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 7/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, hzoi said:

For the 10 Years! events in May 2010, the Lost and Found attribute was available at 10 Years! events that were attended by a Groundspeak lackey. (Not mine, sadly.)

Given that more people get to host Community Celebration Events this time compared to 2010, and the window for CCEs is open for 18 months and not just a weekend, hopefully more folks will end up with the Lost and Found attribute this time.

(Also, I'm a little confused by your sour grapes tone, seeing as how you have cached in 27 different countries.)

I've cached in more than that but I'm still not going to be flying 2500 miles (each way) and pay for a couple of nights accommodations if that's what it took to get some digital artwork.   I suspect that the objection wasn't so much about the L&F attribute as an implication that we all can, or even want to travel to Seattle for an event.  I've been to Seattle (and 32 other countries).   It's not so special that I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars to do it again.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 2/14/2016 at 1:37 PM, Keystone said:

That attribute was awarded properly only to event caches held during 2010, and attended by a Lackey visiting from Geocaching HQ. That cache in Estonia does not meet the requirements.

Is the still the case?

There are a lot of Community Celebration events taking place in conjunction with the (postponed) 20th anniversary of geocaching. Have none of them gained this attribute?

• Funny 3
14 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

None of them have the attribute. 

Apparently it was not brought back for events with lackeys  in attendance. 

Rather like the partnership attribute, or cacti, it seems to be retired.

Fair 'nuff.

I've done geocaching for over 16 years, so I've had my shot at getting this attribute back in 2010. Just wanted someone to clarify what is happening with this attribute.

(Bearing in mind that @Isonzo Karst is probably not an authoritative source on this, lackeys are welcome to butt in here and let us know the official policy regarding this attribute ;) )

• Funny 3
On 2/10/2016 at 4:16 PM, hzoi said:

If I recall correctly, the Lost and Found Tour attribute was only (properly) awarded to 10 Years! events, held in May 2010, that had a Groundspeak lackey in attendance. I hosted a 10 Years! event in Virginia and got the special event icon for the event, but we had no lackey in attendance, so no attribute.

My guess is that the Estonian cache in question was erroneously awarded the L&F attribute, and when this discussion revealed the fact, I assume a reviewer "fixed the glitch."

Not just the month of May of that year.    https://coord.info/GC20TB6