Google Earth viewer

Elde

I also had no problems using it today. In the past when I've had a problem with Google Earth, I'd just remove it and download it again which usually kind of resets everything. Your data should be saved on your computer already. Or maybe just delete the Google Earth viewer and reload that.

Remember that if the GE viewer is set to update automatically, then it will refresh (a.k.a. view) every time you zoom or scroll. When the viewer hits 250 views, you are done for the day (24 hours).

You can change the refresh to manual, it will only update if you right-click and choose "Refresh." That cuts way down on the number of views. To change the setting, right-click the viewer, choose Properties, and on the last tab make sure View-based refresh is set to "On Request."

Austin

Edited by AustinMN

Not sure what you mean by Google Earth viewer. How are you accessing it?

This

Thanks! Is that different than the Google Earth KML from several years back? Same thing, new name, or an altogether new thing? What confused me was the term "Viewer". Google Earth IS the viewer, at least with the old way of doing it.

Not sure what you mean by Google Earth viewer. How are you accessing it?

This

Thanks! Is that different than the Google Earth KML from several years back? Same thing, new name, or an altogether new thing? What confused me was the term "Viewer". Google Earth IS the viewer, at least with the old way of doing it.

It is updated on one end or the other; using GE to view caches used to be limited to 25 views a day, and now it is 250. I don't know if that change is on the KML end or the server end.

BTW, you can also view caches on GE using a .GPX file (from a PQ). Using a .GPX, the coordinate accuracy is not downgraded.

It's the same thing that's been around, and called the viewer, for at least seven or eight years now.

Anyhow, no, I am not exceeding my view count. And I can't download a fresh copy, the link off my profile just goes to a blank page and Google Earth does not open.

It's the same thing that's been around, and called the viewer, for at least seven or eight years now.

Anyhow, no, I am not exceeding my view count. And I can't download a fresh copy, the link off my profile just goes to a blank page and Google Earth does not open.

That's kind of, um... silly. It (the KML) isn't the viewer... it is the data! Anyway... thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I probably haven't used it in at least seven or eight years. Didn't really suit my needs.

That's kind of, um... silly. It (the KML) isn't the viewer... it is the data! Anyway... thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I probably haven't used it in at least seven or eight years. Didn't really suit my needs.

Just technical: The KML isn't the data. The KML is metadata (data that tells Google Earth how to get the data). Even then, you don't get real location data, you get obfuscated location data (data that is similar but deliberately changed). Confused yet?

Just technical: The KML isn't the data. The KML is metadata (data that tells Google Earth how to get the data). Even then, you don't get real location data, you get obfuscated location data (data that is similar but deliberately changed). Confused yet?

Nope. Not confused. You need to obfuscate your replies better.

Anyone else having problems with the Google Earth viewer? Mine, seemingly randomly, just ceases to function, the little animated icon goes red and it returns no caches. Sometimes for a couple of hours, sometimes for days.

Yes, I have also problems. The vieuwer no longer works and the icon turns red.

The vieuwer redownload also fails, you get an error page.

I hope Groundspeak solves the problem quickly

Anyone else having problems with the Google Earth viewer? Mine, seemingly randomly, just ceases to function, the little animated icon goes red and it returns no caches. Sometimes for a couple of hours, sometimes for days.

Same here.

I also am having the identical problem. It has worked just fine for several years and now is suddenly deciding to randomly NOT work. And since I am planning a vacation in a month or less, I sure hope they figure out what's broken with it because I'll be upset if I can't cache on my vacation!!!!!!!!!!! No, I'm not exceeding any limits unless they've changed the criteria because I used to Google Earth search all day without running into any limits.

Same here.

Working now!

Same here.

Working now!

Just by itself, or did you do something to get it working?

It would seem to me that problems with Google Earth Viewer has nothing to do with Groundspeak/Geocaching,

Problems with Google Earth Viewer are problems with Google Earth Viewer, and have nothing to do with this site.

It would seem to me that problems with Google Earth Viewer has nothing to do with Groundspeak/Geocaching,

Problems with Google Earth Viewer are problems with Google Earth Viewer, and have nothing to do with this site.

Don't think so. At the same time the plug-in is not working, the one for GC Australia is.

Hi,

it doesn't work for me. I have uninstalled the plugin and I have just tried to download it again from MyProfile page, and it does not work, I cannot download it.

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Xavier

The problem seems to be intermittent on my end. I'll click on Google Earth zoom in and it doesn't work, click out, reload GE it doesn't work, close it, open it again and it works. I can find no rhyme of reason for it working sometimes and not others. My personal theory is that sometimes the google earth server or our provider's get over loaded and the data feed crashs... All I know is just keep trying it and it will eventually work.

Yes, I am having problems with KLM viewer as well. And no I have no exceeded the 250 views per day limit. Sometimes I'll open it and it will function properly for maybe 2 minutes and the icon goes red. Thought maybe there was a problem with the Viewer so decided I'd try reloading it. It's no longer in my download folder so I figured I'd just download it again. Clicked on "Download Viewer" on my profile page and I'm sent a nothing page.

It could be that the Google Earth KML gizmo is working just fine, but the struggling server at Groundspeak isn't responding with data.

I guess that's exactly what's going on. In none of the (many) threads about the GE viewer has there been a reply from GS. It would help if they at least recognized the problem.