Can I / Should I Delete this Log?

I hid a cache that is hard to find. Make that 'was' hard to find because a recent 'Found It' log pretty much directs cachers to the cache. I discussed the difficulty of the cache with another cacher who I respect a lot. He had found it without a hint but we decided that perhaps a hint would be appropriate as seasoned cachers were posting DNF's. Ironically as I was uploading a hint a cacher was finding it - without the hint (I asked, he said it was the first place he looked).

There has always been a clue in the description. It's not that this cache is unfair, it's just a tough hide that sometimes takes two attempts. But that is no longer the case - with the spoiler log it's a no-brainer.

So, I'm asking, is it ok/ethical/whatever to remove the spoiler log?

Thanks for your input.

Spoiler for low D cache? No, I wouldnt delete the log.

Any caches thats 2 or lower should be found by most people on their first attempt. Thats the rule I go by. If a bunch of newbies cant find my caches on their first attempt with good hint, its rated too low.

If the cache was rated higher, yes, I would deleted the spoiler since it to stumped the experienced cachers.

Spoiler for low D cache? No, I wouldnt delete the log.

Any caches thats 2 or lower should be found by most people on their first attempt. Thats the rule I go by. If a bunch of newbies cant find my caches on their first attempt with good hint, its rated too low.

If the cache was rated higher, yes, I would deleted the spoiler since it to stumped the experienced cachers.

I agree.

A 2D hide (your highest) really isn't one "hard to find".

I'd leave the log as-is.

As little as I go after this D/T combo, even I could probably find it. :laughing:

If "seasoned cachers" aren't finding a 2D or less, maybe you should up the difficulty a bit.

Maybe you have it rated too low.

I generally only look at logs as a last resort if I can't find the cache. I might browse them hoping someone left an additional clue to help me out. If you don't want spoilers, don't look at logs.

That said, it seems entirely appropriate to me to ask the logger to modify his comments so they aren't too blatant. It's one thing to say, "It's not in the sprinkler heads," and another to say, "It's inside the gnome by the gate."

The cacher who logged the spoiler is closing in on a thousand caches. I did email the cacher pointing out that the log was a certain spoiler and apologized that it took the cacher a couple of tries to find it. No response.

Curious if deleting the log will subtract the smiley? Don't want to do that.

Edited by waterloo.bob

The cacher who logged the spoiler is closing in on a thousand caches. I did email the cacher pointing out that the log was a certain spoiler and apologized that it took the cacher a couple of tries to find it. No response.

Yes... Oh yes. I think long and hard before deleting anyone logs. For easy caches, spoilers are ok with me because it does help me in the long run. It also does help people find the cache and if its missing, I will know for sure its really missing.

Yes... Oh yes. I think long and hard before deleting anyone logs. For easy caches, spoilers are ok with me because it does help me in the long run. It also does help people find the cache and if its missing, I will know for sure its really missing.

I disagree. Delete it and send him another email explaining why you deleted it, and letting him know that you hope that he relogs without the spoiler info.

One question though... did people have a hard time finding your cache because you have under-estimated the difficulty, or because your coordinates are loose?

I disagree. Delete it and send him another email explaining why you deleted it, and letting him know that you hope that he relogs without the spoiler info.

One question though... did people have a hard time finding your cache because you have under-estimated the difficulty, or because your coordinates are loose?

More likely of not so great coordinates. I often get that fixed overtime.

Deleting logs is like saying "I am the boss and do what I said." Doing that to a newbie really can upset them or confused them. Its like you are picking on their mistake(s). If the mistake is tiny, let it go! No need to stir up more problems. Its just a low rated cache and geocaching is all about having fun and not be so picky about everything.

I will say it again...being a CO is not for everybody.

That said, it seems entirely appropriate to me to ask the logger to modify his comments so they aren't too blatant. It's one thing to say, "It's not in the sprinkler heads," and another to say, "It's inside the gnome by the gate."

That kind of thing has happened to some of my caches. I never delete such spoilers, but often the entire Found It phrase is the spoiler only. It's like an 8-year-old telling on his sister. Anyone know what these finders were thinking? "Let's reveal exactly where 'The Company' hid this so the people will have no trouble from now on"? Do they ever catch on that part of the caching experience is each cacher figuring it out where it's hidden? I wonder if any of them after a number of finds, tend to change the spoiler part themselves. Or if they consider it a service as mentioned, that future finders can rely on previous logs to give the hide away.

Edited by kunarion

I really wish there were "like" buttons on post sometimes.

Contact the finder, explain it is YOUR cache, how geocaching is about the joy of finding something hidden (if it is a newbie) and if you feel the need: tell them if you wanted those spoilers there, you would have put them there. Invite the person to re-log the cache after you delete it.

Edited to add: Groundspeak makes it abundantly clear that the CO is the owner of the cache. If you want to have cachers put spoilers in their logs, have at it. Otherwise, correct the offending cacher and move on.

Edited by ATMouse

Yes, deleting is fine. Just explain why. On the other hand, it's not really a bad idea to have some tips hidden in the log for someone desperate enough to look for them. You can encrypt if you think it's too blatant, but generally I just let a few other logs pile up to bury the log that gives away more than I intended.

Deleting logs is like saying "I am the boss and do what I said." Doing that to a newbie really can upset them or confused them. Its like you are picking on their mistake(s). If the mistake is tiny, let it go! No need to stir up more problems. Its just a low rated cache and geocaching is all about having fun and not be so picky about everything.

That is why you write them a nice, understanding note, offering them to relog without the spoiler. Nobody said to write them a nastygram!

Being a CO is for me, but I will delete spoilers.

Didn't know I could encrypt a log. That would seem to offer the best solution on all levels.

Glad I posted. Thanks for all the help.

BTW the coord's are good, taken with both an Oregon and an iPhone. The difficulty is that there are a lot of hidey spots.

Encrypting will fix your problem, but unless you contact the cacher in question, they won't realize that they weren't supposed to do that. I guess without actually seeing their log, I can't say if posting spoilers is something that they do often, or if it was just in this situation.

That is why you write them a nice, understanding note, offering them to relog without the spoiler. Nobody said to write them a nastygram!

Being a CO is for me, but I will delete spoilers.

Even on your 1D/1T cche?

Didn't know I could encrypt a log. That would seem to offer the best solution on all levels.

BTW the coord's are good, taken with both an Oregon and an iPhone. The difficulty is that there are a lot of hidey spots.

FYI, if I am scrolling through all the logs on my phone and see a log encrypted, I will make sure to read that one even closer. Once you get a lot more finds, say 10 or more, that one cache with a mild spoiler will be so far back most cachers will not even notice it.

FYI, if I am scrolling through all the logs on my phone and see a log encrypted, I will make sure to read that one even closer. Once you get a lot more finds, say 10 or more, that one cache with a mild spoiler will be so far back most cachers will not even notice it.

I don't see encrypting the log as a good option. They cry out "read me". I generally don't go through logs on a cache I'm planning on hunting, but something about an encrypted log piques my interest and I look. I'm sure I'm not alone. If I receive an unwelcome spoiler log, I politely ask the logger to remove the spoiler. Most of the time they do, sometimes with apologies. If they don't then I delete it and welcome them to log it again without the spoiler.

Edited by briansnat

I don't see encrypting the log as a good option. They cry out "read me". I generally don't go through logs on a cache I'm planning on hunting, but something about an encrypted log piques my interest and I look. I'm sure I'm not alone. If I receive an unwelcome spoiler log, I politely ask the logger to remove the spoiler. Most of the time they do, sometimes with apologies. If they don't then I delete it and welcome them to log it again without the spoiler.

Yes... I agree with you. Plus, sometime it tells me another side of the CO. We got a CO here thats known to encrypting logs when he dont like it. :lol:

Everyone wins.. :rolleyes:

This is where I find myself agreeing with Knowschad. You let the game erode by letting the little things slip. But I would also advocate contacting the hider and letting them know what needs to be done. If they choose to be upset, then so be it.