Please translate your caches

I want to say something which will probably not be very popular in many countries, but I think there should be a rule to always have a translation to English of the description, or at least some of it. And I say that as someone who is not a native English speaker (it's a second language for me, I learn it in school and from TV and traveling), and who lives in a non English speaking country.

In my country the reviewers won't let you publish a cache without a translation, and it is a ground rule for us, and I know it's the same for some few countries - so why it is not a basic rule for other countries as well?

I know it is not easy sometimes for non English speakers - I know it from experience - but even with spelling mistakes or even google translate with a bit of improvement, translating to English can be essential for travellers, specially in puzzles and multies, and it just seems it should be done, espacially in touristic locations.

I want to say something which will probably not be very popular in many countries, but I think there should be a rule to always have a translation to English of the description, or at least some of it.

You're assuming the CO is capable of translating to English? It's nice if a CO provides a translation but making it a requirement is not the way to go.

Besides, why translating to English? Why no other language, Spanish is widely spoken as is French, Mandarin and Arabic. :ph34r:

Best thing to do is to translate yourself if possible or with the help of a translate service. Next stop would be the CO but as said, they may not have the knowledge to provide the translation themselves.

I think it's fair for a Volunteer Reviewer to ask for a translation in a language that they understand, in order to properly review a Listing, but Earthcaches are the only cache type that has specific wording regarding any language requirement:

The EarthCache text and logging tasks must be submitted in the local language. Additional languages are encouraged, but the local language must be listed first. You may be requested to provide text in a language understandable to your reviewer to assist with the reviewing process.

Geocaching is a global game.

I want to say something which will probably not be very popular in many countries, but I think there should be a rule to always have a translation to English of the description, or at least some of it.

You're assuming the CO is capable of translating to English? It's nice if a CO provides a translation but making it a requirement is not the way to go.

Besides, why translating to English? Why no other language, Spanish is widely spoken as is French, Mandarin and Arabic. :ph34r:

Best thing to do is to translate yourself if possible or with the help of a translate service. Next stop would be the CO but as said, they may not have the knowledge to provide the translation themselves.

As I said, I'm not assuming this - it is a rule that geocaching site have in my country. We can't publish a cache which is all in one of our own languages. A lot of people here don't know much English, so they at least write one sentence in English with the most relevant info. This is a requirement forced at us - so why it is not common at other countries? As you said, there are other common languages, but even if you use one of those in some countries you are require by the rules there to translate to English.

Therefor I think that this rule should be applied to all countries, not just few. I mean, who gets to say "you have to, but the next country doesn't"?

Besides, why translating to English? Why no other language, Spanish is widely spoken as is French, Mandarin and Arabic.

The reason is quite simple. It is taught almost everywhere around the world in schools and is comparatively simple to master

at the level (much simpler than Russian, French, German etc) and uses the Latin alphabet.

Why do you think that many universities in Europe switch over to teaching in English (at least at the master level)?

English is typically the largest common denominator.

If say 10 people who come from Israel, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Albania, Belgium, Latvia, South Corea, Russia, China and Kongo want to talk to each other,

English is the natural and only reasonable choice even though English is not the national language of any of those countries.

Next stop would be the CO but as said, they may not have the knowledge to provide the translation themselves.

The real issue is that in those non English speaking countries where caching has became popular and all reviewers are from the country, there are many cachers who

are very proficient in English but are just to lazy to provide English descriptions and even worse many of them are not even willing to include English versions prepared

by someone else. For more complex multi caches and mystery caches automatic translations can never reach the standard of a reasonably good manual translation.

Therefor I think that this rule should be applied to all countries, not just few. I mean, who gets to say "you have to, but the next country doesn't"?

First of all, who invented this "rule"? Seems it's not GS but your local reviewer(s). as for "you have to, but the next country doesn't" I'd say: "you don't have too either". Just imagine nice, interesting caches would not be published because the CO is unable to translate the listing. Of course "micro in parking lot" would be no problem to translate.

So far I've translated Norwegian and Japanese listings using online services without a problem. I've had CO's answering to my questions in VERY basic English that they were not able to translate their listing. Remember that, unless in tourist areas, caches are done by "locals". I can hope for an English translation in Tokyo, Kyoto or Hiroshima but not every cache in the Japanese countryside.

The real issue is that in those non English speaking countries where caching has became popular and all reviewers are from the country, there are many cachers who are very proficient in English but are just to lazy to provide English descriptions and even worse many of them are not even willing to include English versions prepared by someone else.

As there are cachers that are to lazy to bring a pen or look for the next available space on a logscroll..... but let's not go there :ph34r:

Fact is that by a mandatory translation a lot of caches would be translated without needing to be as they are in places where no "foreigner" would ever go. If a CO is "to lazy" to translate I guess they would just not publish at all.

Is not Google Translate (and other online translation services) good enough these days to at least get the general idea of what a cache page says?

No, it depends a lot on the involved language and also on the nature of the text to be translated (short, simple sentences without special terms and with no spelling mistakes and no missing accents produce better results).

My experiences with automatically translating Hungarian and Czech (Slovak) cache description is very bad (even when translating to English - the translation to German or French is even worse).

Moreover, the general idea is for most non traditional not enough to find the cache.

Edited by cezanne

The real issue is that in those non English speaking countries where caching has became popular and all reviewers are from the country, there are many cachers who are very proficient in English but are just to lazy to provide English descriptions and even worse many of them are not even willing to include English versions prepared by someone else.

As there are cachers that are to lazy to bring a pen or look for the next available space on a logscroll..... but let's not go there :ph34r:

Many more cachers are willing to bring a pen.

Fact is that by a mandatory translation a lot of caches would be translated without needing to be as they are in places where no "foreigner" would ever go. If a CO is "to lazy" to translate I guess they would just not publish at all.

Do you really know that? For example, in my area there a French guy working in IT with a very weak German and he told me that he reads my logs as they are all written in English and are about the only ones he can really understand.

Moreover, I'm not asking for a mandatory English version, but I would welcome it if the majority of those who are able to provide a decent English version would actually provide one.

Moreover, I'm not asking for a mandatory English version, but I would welcome it if the majority of those who are able to provide a decent English version would actually provide one.

Exactly what I wrote. It's the OP who wanted mandatory translations everywhere as it seems to be a rule in Israel.

It's nice to have an English translation but let's not have more rules to get one.

Exactly what I wrote. It's the OP who wanted mandatory translations everywhere as it seems to be a rule in Israel.

It's nice to have an English translation but let's not have more rules to get one.

It would be nice however if at least some infrastructure were available that encouraged the inclusion of additional language versions

This has been first asked for at least 12 years ago. An attribute for English version available could also be very useful in

non English speaking countries. I'm sure that if some improvements in this direction the proportion of caches with an English version could

be increased.

Cezanne

I disagree. We travel a lot and of course we appreciate a translation, but this should be up to the CO. In some countries most cachers are foreigners and as a result local geocachers who want their cache to be found by them automatically write some English on the cache page, otherwise their cache might seldom be found. But in other countries, where there are also a lot of local cachers, there is no need for an English cache page. If the CO places a cache in a touristy spot (isn't every geocache supposed to be at an interesting spot?!) he can decide to accomodate the non local language speaking cacher because he wants to make sure the cachers learn something about the spot, or he wants to make sure they understand the hint so they can find the cache without being noticed by muggles. But if the CO doesn't feel this need I don't see why he should be required to add an English description.

Going to another country for us also means learning a much as possible of the country or area we are visiting. And by preparing ourselves for a trip the fun starts at home. Learning a bit of the language, the way caches are hidden etc., is part of this and with all the tools available it is easy to be prepared. For the "must finds" we make sure we know as much as possible about the cache before leaving home, by translating, reading logs, looking at the photos and sometimes contacting other cachers or the CO. Why should a CO be obliged to make everything as easy as possible because some tourists do not want to do any preparation or research? Why should a CO translate a whole multi cache description if the amount of tourist who do multi's is so small it's not worth the effort?

For a lot of cachers it is not so easy to make a translation. There are many countries where most cachers hardly speak any English, let alone the specific words needed for a cache page. And I disgree that a bad translation is better than no translation, I can do a bad translation myself, no need to clutter the cache page with this.

And it is not a one time effort for a CO. We for instance have a multi cache including a translation in English. But every time we have to update a waypoint description or announce something (temporary unavailable etc) it means doing it twice. And there are more things to consider, for instance lay-out. Our cache page could have looked more attractive by adding photos etc., but we decided against it to reduce the length of the cache page in favor of adding text in English.

So if a CO decides on adding info in English we thank the CO, because it saves us some preparation time. And we can also easily decide on skipping a cache when it is too hard for us, whether it is because of language or otherwise. And sometimes the effort of a CO is much better than just offering a translation. Because when we ask for help and the CO can't translate the page but is happy to help us in any other way, for instance by meeting us in person, what more can you wish for? You can always decide to meet up with other cachers in a country and go and find some caches together when you think language is a problem, because the language of going out and have fun finding geocaches is universal.

Is not Google Translate (and other online translation services) good enough these days to at least get the general idea of what a cache page says?

A very recent example might give you a feeling that a lot can go wrong already for quite simple multi caches.

This is a very recent short multi cache in my home town that would be very well suited for tourists

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC439K1_erzherzogs-palais

Google translate yields the following for the part of the cache description which relates to finding the cache

Here are a few questions that lead their solutions to the final coordinates:

A = In the park there are three busts of famous composers. Add in the last 2 digits of the year of death of the oldest, spreadable the tens number of earnings away, then remains A.

B = The sum of the death year of a 13 year younger, divided by 12, gives B.

C = The artist Katja Cruz has three important innovators of 20th century music sculptures dedicated to Arnold Schoenberg, Anton Webern and Alban Berg. One of the works visualizes the opera "Moses und Aron" by Schoenberg and his new technique of composition, twelve-tone music. Pull on the number of glass cuboid 7, then there is C.

D = the entrance of the Palais Meran form 3 high, round-arched gates. From top to look eye on us and the park. Halve the number of animal heads and you've D.

E = Time and again show us the way signs. On one we see where the conference room is located. Part of this space by the number 3 and you have E!

F = In the Leonhardstraße reminiscent of the facade of the Palais a plaque to Archduke Johann. Convert the first letter of his name to a number 2. (A = 1, B = 2, etc.), then you have with F the last piece of the puzzle of the coordinates.

For tin, it is now not far off. Archduke John left his extensive traces there.

In the box you will find the log and a small pen. For safety, also itself bring a pen. Please put the can back where it was found.

For Erstfinder is as a small gift, a red "lucky" - Button in

Good Succeed !!

The coordinates are

N 47 04.ABC

E 015 27.DEF

Some of the questions cannot be understood at all using the Google translation.

It would only take 5 minutes to prepare a decent English version of the essential part.

A = In the park there are three busts of famous composers. Add in the last 2 digits of the year of death of the oldest, spreadable the tens number of earnings away, then remains A.

With that translation I hope the CO adds a half-star to the difficulty. :laughing:

With many Puzzles and Multis, the problem is often not the translation, but the terse presentation of the puzzle itself. It's confusing in any language. :anibad:

On a couple of my caches, I state the info in more than one way. I don't want someone to get stuck, especially in the field, when they realize they don't understand one of the formulae. Especially if that part is not supposed to be the tricky part. Perhaps one of the explanations will suitably translate.

But I for one applaud the OP's offer to accurately translate cache pages! :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

With that translation I hope the CO adds a half-star to the difficulty. :laughing:

A is not even the question with the worst translation. The translation for F comes off completely wrong (in that case it does not matter that much as F is not important) but I just wanted to demonstrate that even for a frequently used language pair (English-German) and an easy text a lot can go wrong.

I just wanted to demonstrate that even for a frequently used language pair (English-German) and an easy text a lot can go wrong.

I've done some translating of "content management" scripts for web sites, the free web page frameworks which have embedded text loosely translated into English. After tons of work polishing the text, I offer the better version. But the programmers are often extremely proud of their command of English as a second language. "Well, 'spreadable the tens number of earnings away' is a well-known phrase in my country. I could not say it any more clearly than that." :blink:

Edited by kunarion

Wait, *French* is "widely-spoken"??? You must be from France, since only someone from France would think that!

;)

Wait, *French* is "widely-spoken"??? You must be from France, since only someone from France would think that!

;)

Or Belgium, Benin, Burkina, Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte, d'Ivoire, Congo, Djibouti, Guinea, France, Guinea, Haiti, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mali, Monaco, Niger, Republic, Congo, ...

Edited by Nonsuch30

;)

Checker is Red... try again.

Part of Africa >> French

(small) Part of Canada >> French (although there's some "accent" B) )

France >> of course

35% of Belgium >> French

Part of Switserland >> French

Pacific Islands (French Polynesia)

So you might be surprised.

BTW, don't underestimate Portuguese (Brasil)

I'm very aware of different languages as we have 3 official languages here, English is a 4th language eventhough it's mostly taught as 3rd language in schools in the area I live in.

I took the liberty of running your post through Google Translate into Korean:

구글 번역 (및 기타 온라인 번역 서비스) 충분 요즘에 적어도 캐시 페이지의 말씀의 일반적인 아이디어를 얻을 수 있나요?

I then used 7 different on-line translation services (actually, more than 7, but only included one that returned nothing at all), to go back to English. I got 4 usable translations. The duplicates below are almost certanly because the same translate engine was used by different web sites.

•  
  • Google Translate (and other online translation service) Can I at least get a general idea of ​​the Word of cache pages in days enough?
  • ( ) ?
  • Google (and the other online Translation Service) These days, at least enough of the word of cache page to get the general idea?
  • Google (and the other online Translation Service) These days, at least enough of the word of cache page to get the general idea?
  • Google translation (and other online translation service) suffice these days, at least a general idea of the word of the page cached?
  • Google translation (and other online translation service) suffice these days, at least a general idea of the word of the page cached?
  • Google translation (and other on-line translation service) sufficiency can get the idea which to recently words of at least cache page is general?

Can you get the idea? Yes, I suppose, especially since we know what the original said. But there are languages where translation this poor would be totally meaningless.

I've found it to be adequate for traditional caches but I've been working on trying to solve a few puzzle caches in France and the translation can't really be used to help solve the puzzle.

The way I see it, is that if the CO of a cache doesn't speak English, and they're required to provide an English translation they're going to use an online translation tool. As long as a translation tool is being used I'd prefer to see the burden put on the finder to translate the listing into their own language.

[*]Google Translate (and other online translation service) Can I at least get a general idea of ​​the Word of cache pages in days enough?

[*] ( ) ?

[*]Google (and the other online Translation Service) These days, at least enough of the word of cache page to get the general idea?

[*]Google (and the other online Translation Service) These days, at least enough of the word of cache page to get the general idea?

[*]Google translation (and other online translation service) suffice these days, at least a general idea of the word of the page cached?

[*]Google translation (and other online translation service) suffice these days, at least a general idea of the word of the page cached?

[*]Google translation (and other on-line translation service) sufficiency can get the idea which to recently words of at least cache page is general?

Can you get the idea? Yes, I suppose, especially since we know what the original said. But there are languages where translation this poor would be totally meaningless.

Cool! You should post an example of that. :ph34r:

:anicute:

:laughing:

:laughing:

;)

I've seen some pretty cryptic "translated" web pages (probably some cache pages, too) that are in an unintentionally indecipherable version of English. But many of them were human-translated by the people who posted them.

I took the liberty of running your post through Google Translate into Korean:

구글 번역 (및 기타 온라인 번역 서비스) 충분 요즘에 적어도 캐시 페이지의 말씀의 일반적인 아이디어를 얻을 수 있나요?

I then used 7 different on-line translation services (actually, more than 7, but only included one that returned nothing at all), to go back to English. I got 4 usable translations. The duplicates below are almost certanly because the same translate engine was used by different web sites.

• Google Translate (and other online translation service) Can I at least get a general idea of ​​the Word of cache pages in days enough?
  • ( ) ?
  • Google translation (and other on-line translation service) sufficiency can get the idea which to recently words of at least cache page is general?

I recently noticed a new feature with Google translate. After translating the text you can highlight words in the result and then click on them and it will show alternate translations.

For example, I translated KC's post into French, then back into English and the last few words translated from french to "the general idea of what a cover page says?" When I highlighted "cover" it gave me an alternate translation as "cache".

Hi there,

I'm from Germany and within a couple hrs of driving I can reach the 9 countries surrounding Germany:

Belgien

Daenemark

Frankreich

Luxemburg

Niederlande

Schweiz

Oesterreich

Polen

Tschechien

Out of those, Oesterreich and part of Schweiz is speaking German. I don't speak any of the other languages and still caching in all of those countries.

I don't expect anyone to translate their listings, why should they, it's their country their language. Who am I to tell someone, hey, I don't understand you, go ahead and talk in my language?

If I go somewhere else, I get prepared for that visit, including maps, traffic regulations, local laws or habits and listings. If you are not able to understand something simple like a listing, how do you think to get around in this country, ordering food or drinks, asking for directions and so on.

Come on, everyone here is capable to do some research and translation, don't put the burden on the COs.

Mausebiber

"Well, 'spreadable the tens number of earnings away' is a well-known phrase in my country. I could not say it any more clearly than that." :blink:

I think it is impossible to guess from the translation the real meaning.

What is required for the variable A is this: Add the last two digits of the year of death of the oldest composer to obtain the sum S.

Take A as the last digit of S.

Comment 1 : the oldest composer is the translation of what the text says in German, but actually a clearer formulation would refer to the

composer who was born the earliest among the three).

Comment 2: My version "Take A is the last digit of S" is not a direct translation. The German versions says that one should take the sum and throw away the number of tens.

Earnings should refer to the result obtained from adding the last two digits of the year of death. The word order got mingled up completely in the Google translation which is part due to the fact that in colloquial Germany many different word orderings are possible.

But as I said it is even worse for F

Google translates to

"In the Leonhardstraße reminiscent of the facade of the Palais a plaque to Archduke Johann. Convert the first letter of his name to a number 2. (A = 1, B = 2, etc.), then you have with F the last piece of the puzzle of the coordinates.

For tin, it is now not far off.

The real meaning is this: At the facade of the palace which faces Leonhardstrasse (comment added by me: a street name) one can find a commemorative plaque in memory of Archduke John (Erzherzog Johann in German). Take the first letter of his first middle name (this is what is called second name in German) and transform it to a number via the code A=1, B=2, C=2, etc. The obtained number is F and completes the coordinates for the cache. The cache container is not far away.

Edited by cezanne

Answers to everybody - hey, it turned to be quite a discussion!

First, I might have presented it wrong (lost in translation...), but I'm not complaining about the rule in Israel. I think it's good to have it in English as well, because it opens the game here to all tourist or anyone else who doesn't speak the main 2 languages. I just think that since we're doing the effort, it will be nice if other will do that too. It can be even one-two sentences translated from the all text.

Question about the reviewer and the rule: I don't know excatly where this rule started. In the past we had some reviewers outside of the country, now we have a local one, but the rule still here (and as said, I agree with it). You don't have to translate the all thing, and today you can even ask the reviewer to check your spelling (:

Tourist place or non? In my last caching spree I went to get caches in very remote places here - no tourists there and actually many didn't have a local visitor in more than a year. All in English. Actually, usually here there's only English, as it a hard work to get the local languages right on the editor (being written from right to left). And the massege center didn't work in my language at all!

I agree it is much more essential in touristy places, but even there it's usually not done, and also, you never know who will search for this cache.

About "preparing ahead of your trip": This all is very nice when you're going for a week of vacation and know ahead where you're going, and/or have data on your cell. I usually travel for several months with no plan, moving through countries, sometimes with no data/limited data and no tablet or laptop. It is impossible to me to actually traslate beforehand every cache. When I got data I tried google translate oneline (in Berlin), but the puzzles and multis were quite impossible to understand.

Google Translate: bad for lots of multies and puzzles, didn't even try in wherigos. Also, if tourist can use it, the CO can use it as well to translate 1-4 sentences from the all text (and add "google translating").

Mandatory? It doesn't have to be, but should be more encourage. I know it is hard for non native English speakers to do - I AM ONE. And I give up on most earthcaches because of it - way too hard to explain geology in English when there are 10 questions. But we have people here with horibble English who make the effort. More people should.

If we expect caches to be translated into English, then I think it's fair to those cache owners that we translate our logs into their language.....

or, we can all just appreciate the experience, reward and diversity of finding international caches...

We can appreciate it by at least trying to translate. I mean, for me, even THIS is foreign language, and even in English caches there are sometimes things I don't understand, and some puzzles and multis are disquilify by me to get because the intimidating lenght of the English text I need to handle (and as said - earthcaches should come with extra D rating for non native English speakers).

I'm just saying - at least try to translate, at least some of the text.

BTW, there was a tourist visiting here who tried to translate his logs to the local languages. It was unreadable, and sometimes he mistakenly translate it to Idish instead of Hebrew...

Edited by SheepOnTrip

I would also point out that for some puzzles, (encryptions, count the number of words per paragraph, text hidden inside of words, things like that), that translating them will make them not solvable. I would say if you can't grasp the language the puzzle is in, you are probably going to have to skip that one.

If we expect caches to be translated into English, then I think it's fair to those cache owners that we translate our logs into their language.....

or, we can all just appreciate the experience, reward and diversity of finding international caches...

We can appreciate it by at least trying to translate. I mean, for me, even THIS is foreign language, and even in English caches there are sometimes things I don't understand, and some puzzles and multis are disquilify by me to get because the intimidating lenght of the English text I need to handle (and as said - earthcaches should come with extra D rating for non native English speakers).

I'm just saying - at least try to translate, at least some of the text.

BTW, there was a tourist visiting here who tried to translate his logs to the local languages. It was unreadable, and sometimes he mistakenly translate it to Idish instead of Hebrew...

Lol fair enough :)

You don't need to go further and talk about tourist spots or difficult puzzles. Just imagine that you're a CO and you don't know English at all. You're asked to provide translation into English. An obvious way is automatic translation.

a) Automatic translation can be done by any visitor when needed. (And some visitors may prefer translation not in English but in other language). There's no need to massively consume website's resources.

b ) Since you cannot verify / proof-read "your" translation it can be misleading. Thus, you cannot be responsible for your cache - and this contradicts one of the basic principles of the sport.

Edited by -CJ-
I would also point out that for some puzzles, (encryptions, count the number of words per paragraph, text hidden inside of words, things like that), that translating them will make them not solvable. I would say if you can't grasp the language the puzzle is in, you are probably going to have to skip that one.

Agree 100%, thanks.