GCK12J last stop for a weary traveler

Wintz50

How can one of the best virtual caches in Washington DC just up and be archived with no record of an archival or reason posted? Its a shame if Groundspeak doesn't step up and do something to preserve a virtual in the nations capital. If there was ever a perfect spot for a virtual, it would be Washington DC

Wow! No record of why it was archived, or who archived it! Though I know there were problems in the past.

Over 800 Favorite Points!!!!

Ten years ago, we visited the mall, and found ten virtuals. Most of them were boring. Two were good. This one was GREAT! Absolutely loved it!

Very sorry to see it go. It was fantastic!

How can one of the best virtual caches in Washington DC just up and be archived with no record of an archival or reason posted? Its a shame if Groundspeak doesn't step up and do something to preserve a virtual in the nations capital. If there was ever a perfect spot for a virtual, it would be Washington DC

I think it will be ok... There are more to find, and plenty of reasons that Virtuals, if abused, would be archived unceremoniously.

I'm going to venture a guess that there was an Archived log that was deleted by the owner. But I don't know that for sure; a Reviewer would have to look in the history and tell us. But I'm taking bets...

Edited by NeverSummer

Just a quick glance at the gallery shows many aren't abiding by "Visitng the memorial does not count as a find".

Try the nearby: a Wood Chuck's Paradise

The area was closed, due to construction, when we were there, I logged my DNF. Didn't stop a lot of people from logging it anyway. I see that the requirements changed from 'identify the tree' to 'take a picture of yourself nearby'. That has become a meaningless Virtual, whilst the GREAT one has been archived.

I think it will be ok... There are more to find, and plenty of reasons that Virtuals, if abused, would be archived unceremoniously.

I don't agree at all. This one was a great virtual that can now never be replaced unless someone gets creative with an earthcache listing and thus recreating it with some simple geology "lesson". Saying there are others nearby would be like saying since a great cache was archived that trash in a guardrail down the road will give you the same enjoyment.

Yes, it looks like the CO archived the cache, and then deleted the archival note. It seems that the CO felt that people were getting abusive when their logs were deleted and didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Unfortunate. It's hard to own a virtual in a highly touristy area. I own several in a National Park, but I fortunately haven't had a bad experience with them. But I guess that D.C. is another animal.

I've visited Last stop for a weary traveler a couple times, too bad that it is now gone.

That is strange, no archive notice at all. A CO cant delete that either. Why no archive notice I wonder?

CO is still active.

And one can document their answer by just emailing the CO three words so the gallery would not give an indication of found or not.

Who says a CO can't delete their archive log? My sock just did.

It is sad to see that one go - it was one of those that stood out. A great example of the way that virtuals extended the game into areas where physical caches cannot be placed and enrich the game for me. An "aha" moment in an important place. Since virtuals cannot be adopted, I imagine that the CO finally reached a point where it was time to let it go. But it has as much to do with Groundspeak's policy as it does with the individual choice. Sigh.

Edited by geodarts

<snip> the location can still be visited and appreciated, even if the listing isn't active on this site.

Indeed it can... but there's no way I would have noticed the little extra 'thing' without this cache, and I even googled later what the connection was so I learned something too. I know the traveller isn't the main reason you would visit here, but he did add a little surprise and smile to what was quite an emotionally draining day.... military monuments just affect me that way :unsure:

I spent all of May in the USA - mostly in DC - and am happy to have had the opportunity to log this virtual. It was truly one of those that made me laugh out loud when I found it.

It's a real shame a virtual cannot be adopted out, and it's a greater shame that people get abusive when their logs are deleted legitimately by the CO :(

That is strange, no archive notice at all. A CO cant delete that either. Why no archive notice I wonder?

CO is still active.

And one can document their answer by just emailing the CO three words so the gallery would not give an indication of found or not.

I think he meant the CO can't delete a archived notice from someone like a Lackey or Reviewer.

Shame that the owner got pushed to the point of archiving but the location can still be visited and appreciated, even if the listing isn't active on this site.

^^^

This - I've bookmarked the cache so I'll remember to look for it when we are in that area. Still, sad to hear that a CO was taking so much grief from the "gotta have my smiley" crowd. :(

Mrs. Car54

CO is still active.

Right, they can delete their own archive log but perhaps I thought it was Groundspeak (Or reviewer) archiving it, then they would not be.

Personally I think deleting your own archive note is wrong, why try to confuse folks by making folks guess what happened and when. Appeared they wanted to be done with it and if it caused confusion, so be it.

Edited by lamoracke

I was also very upset to see that this was archived. This was probably our favorite cache in DC. It took us to a particular spot that we would have never known about, and like someone mentioned, taught us something that we did not know. The whole family enjoyed this one.

It seems like there would be plenty of people willing to adopt this cache. Heck, I would be happy to adopt it myself. I do think this is a cache where Groundspeak or the local reviewer should step in and mediate.

I also think it is very unfair to not have an archived log or explanation. That's very confusing.

It seems like there would be plenty of people willing to adopt this cache. Heck, I would be happy to adopt it myself. I do think this is a cache where Groundspeak or the local reviewer should step in and mediate.

None of the Grandfathered cache types will process through the adoption utility.

There's nothing at all to "mediate". The cache owner created the listing, and the cache owner archived the listing.

I also think it is very unfair to not have an archived log or explanation. That's very confusing.

It does seem a bit odd the cache owner deleted their own archive log, but they can, and apparently they did.