Bypassing Password o Sign In

acachebox

Is there a way to automatically open the geocaching app, bypassing the need to sign in with UN and PW, when I select it on my I Phone?

That's how it works in the intro and paid versions. Login and you don't have to sign in next time.

Are you having trouble with it?

Is there a way to automatically open the geocaching app, bypassing the need to sign in with UN and PW, when I select it on my I Phone?

That's how it works in the intro and paid versions. Login and you don't have to sign in next time.

Are you having trouble with it?

Yes it requires me to log in every time I open the app. I have seen others just open the app and be logged in.

Yes it requires me to log in every time I open the app. I have seen others just open the app and be logged in.

Have you tried the Magic Fix? That is, delete and re-install the App.

I haven't been auto-logged-out on any of the Apps in a while.

Looked at setting and auto fill use set for the Geocaching site. Removed that setting. Removing desttop icon and resetting it. Opened and logged in but still does not auto fill.

I am beginning to think the problem is 8.3 version of the i Phone since this is just one of many problems that have cropped up since the upgrade.

Looked at setting and auto fill use set for the Geocaching site. Removed that setting.

I'm not completely sure where you're having issues now. I thought it was the app that you were getting logged out of, but then you mention settings while logging into the website. Can you confirm whether it's the full, paid, official Geocaching app that you're getting logged out of, or is it the website?

Looked at setting and auto fill use set for the Geocaching site. Removed that setting.

I'm not completely sure where you're having issues now. I thought it was the app that you were getting logged out of, but then you mention settings while logging into the website. Can you confirm whether it's the full, paid, official Geocaching app that you're getting logged out of, or is it the website?

The Web Site.

The Web Site.

Oh, okay, that means an entirely different set of troubleshooting steps and a different section of the forums. If you click "Report" on one of your posts here, you can ask a forum moderator to move this discussion to the website section (or if a mod sees this, they could help us out by just doing it).

I know other people have had problems keeping logged into the website, so you might get some help once this is moved over there.

I'm not convinced that there's a bug or feature suggestion here, for either the official iPhone App or for the Geocaching.com Web Site. Each has a way of keeping the user "logged in" without needing to do so upon each use.

Moving thread to the "How do I...?" forum for further assistance from helpful users.

<_< As you login there should be a small box to check to keep you logged in. When you are finished with the APP [Do Not Log Out] just closed the APP.

Hope that helps, if not I heard that the Phone does well as a door stop :laughing:

That box is there nut has No Effect. I think the problem revolves around the I Phone upgrade to 8.3. I was advised NEVER to do the 8 upgrade but Apple said that 8.3 was OK. It is not. There are a number of problems since the upgrade.

I'm confused here.... are you talking about the app or the website? You say website, but your posts are about the phone and/or app.

I have an I Phone with the Gepcaching app and an icon to the Geocaching web site. When I open the web site it asks me to sign in every time. This seams like a waste of time and unnecessary function since I have seen others that can go directly to the site.

Yes there is a box on the page used to sign in that that says "keep me signed in" that box has not effect.

I have removed the icon and reloaded it to no avail.

I'm confused here.... are you talking about the app or the website? You say website, but your posts are about the phone and/or app.

I have an I Phone with the Gepcaching app and an icon to the Geocaching web site. When I open the web site it asks me to sign in every time. This seams like a waste of time and unnecessary function since I have seen others that can go directly to the site.

Yes there is a box on the page used to sign in that that says "keep me signed in" that box has not effect.

I have removed the icon and reloaded it to no avail.

It seems like you switched horses in mid-stream here... you started by asking about the app, but your focus now seems directed to/at the website.

Regardless...

You should remain as "logged in" the app if you never log out, by simply closing out the app (as stated in a previous posting).

Likewise, you should remain as "logged in" to the website if you never log out and just close that (browser) window.

Signing into one will not automatically sign you into the other.

The icon the OP speaks of is a bookmark of sorts to geocaching.com I assume it opens in safari?

To the OP delete that icon. It's just causing you issues. Use the app for the app. Use safari for the webpage. I don't know why you need the bookmark or shortcut or whatever it is. It's not like it's hard to remember "geocaching.com"

I agree, it sounds like the OP is logging into geocaching.com through the Safari browser on an iPhone, which is causing confusion.

Do you have the basic free Geocaching.com app or the paid Geocaching.com app on the iPhone? Not a shortcut to the website that will use safari, but one of the actual apps?

I agree, it sounds like the OP is logging into geocaching.com through the Safari browser on an iPhone, which is causing confusion.

Do you have the basic free Geocaching.com app or the paid Geocaching.com app on the iPhone? Not a shortcut to the website that will use safari, but one of the actual apps?

Yes it appears I am opening the web site in safari. Now then I guess the question is can safari automatically apply user name and password like many other browsers can?

Yes it appears I am opening the web site in safari. Now then I guess the question is can safari automatically apply user name and password like many other browsers can?

google

Safari 6/7 (Mavericks): Automatically fill in passwords, credit cards, and more

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17178?locale=en_US

Apple Support Communities

How can I force Safari to Autofill?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6510809?start=0&tstart=0

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

google

Safari 6/7 (Mavericks): Automatically fill in passwords, credit cards, and more

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17178?locale=en_US

Apple Support Communities

How can I force Safari to Autofill?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6510809?start=0&tstart=0

Looks like some progress. Those links address auto fill in Safari on a Mac. I have looked on the I Phone and in Safari, general, password autofill is an option. However there is no clear path as how to ADD a new UN and PW. I contacted Apple Care and they had no idea on how to do it.

If any of you know how to add a new UN and PW please advise.

B.

I just looked at the settings dialog for the Chrome browser on my Android phone. There's a toggle that reads "Save passwords". I have it set to "On" and after I log into a Web site just once, I very rarely have to log in manually again. You might want to look for a similar setting in Safari.

--Larry

I just looked at the settings dialog for the Chrome browser on my Android phone. There's a toggle that reads "Save passwords". I have it set to "On" and after I log into a Web site just once, I very rarely have to log in manually again. You might want to look for a similar setting in Safari.

--Larry

Yes I have looked and I have asked Apple Care but Apple has transferred Apple Care to a third party answering service that only Googles my question. They have no knowledge of Apple products. I was hopping an I Phone user might.I know it could be done with rev. 7 but can't get an answer if so with 8.3

--Larry

Yes I have looked and I have asked Apple Care but Apple has transferred Apple Care to a third party answering service that only Googles my question. They have no knowledge of Apple products. I was hopping an I Phone user might.I know it could be done with rev. 7 but can't get an answer if so with 8.3

May I assume you've already tried the advice/tips on this Web page?

Safari 8 (Yosemite): Manage cookies and website data

--Larry

If you're talking about the IOS Safari Web Browser:

Tap the Safari icon, go to the www.geocaching.com site, and sign out (if applicable). When you sign in, fill out your info and checkmark the box "Keep me signed in". Tap "Sign In" and you stay signed in.

5db8d13f-5516-4395-9873-0da4eaf62d06.jpg

In the example above, my user info was automatically filled in, I don't even need to type that. If you'd like this added convenience for signing into web pages, you need to fill out Contact information for yourself, and you need to select some Safari Settings. Here's how: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/21/iphone-101-use-safari-autofill-to-enter-information-into-web-fo/

Edited by kunarion

I much prefer the design of the paid app, cleaner less cluttered and is easier to click on the cache icons to quickly see if its a micro thus one to skip. Finding a cache worth finding is always the hardest part. I do hate the tiny search radius it has though.

If i may ask.

How do I determine if I have the paid app or the free app? I have 2 sites set on my desk top. One opens directly to the Find Nearby Geocaches and presents a map at my current location. NO need to sign in as it open to my user name. The second opens to Geocaching.com and requires me to sign in, which is a pain in the butt considering it is on my I Phone, who else do they thick would be opening it.

If someone can tell me how to open Geocaching.com without the need to sign in I will be a happy cacher.

If i may ask.

How do I determine if I have the paid app or the free app? I have 2 sites set on my desk top. One opens directly to the Find Nearby Geocaches and presents a map at my current location. NO need to sign in as it open to my user name. The second opens to Geocaching.com and requires me to sign in, which is a pain in the butt considering it is on my I Phone, who else do they thick would be opening it.

If someone can tell me how to open Geocaching.com without the need to sign in I will be a happy cacher.

Did this previous thread you started not help?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333056

Or this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=332365

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

If i may ask.

Did this previous thread you started not help?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333056

Or this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=332365

B.

The first suggestion refers to a different problem I was having on a friends I Phone.

The second was on this topic but did not answer the question to a point that I could get the site to open without having to fill in my user name and password.

My question is can I get to this (equivalent) site on my I Phone without have to put in my user name and password?

https://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

My question is can I get to this (equivalent) site on my I Phone without have to put in my user name and password?

I access this page from my iphone, using Safari and alternative browsers, without a problem. Once I log in, the site generally recognizes me. I assume you have allowed cookies for the sites you visit (in settings) and checked the box in the log-in screen to allow the site to remember you. Beyond that, you might try clearing the web site data (in settings) so that you remove the history, cookies, and the browser cache and try it again.

Edited by geodarts

I access this page from my iphone, using Safari and alternative browsers, without a problem. Once I log in, the site generally recognizes me. I assume you have allowed cookies for the sites you visit (in settings) and checked the box in the log-in screen to allow the site to remember you. Beyond that, you might try clearing the web site data (in settings) so that you remove the history, cookies, and the browser cache and try it again.

I don't know whether I am not stating the problem correctly or the masses are not understand what I am saying.

I have an icon on my phone that opens Geocaching.com. When that site opens it asks for my user name and password. Yes there is a box "keep me signed in" that has NO EFFECT on future logins. I have another icon on my phone that opens directly to "Find Nearby Caches". It appears to be a bookmarked page of my account because it has my user name and caching totals noted at the top.

My question is how do I get my home page in Geocaching.com to open with the same level of convenience?

I don't know whether I am not stating the problem correctly or the masses are not understand what I am saying.

I have an icon on my phone that opens Geocaching.com. When that site opens it asks for my user name and password. Yes there is a box "keep me signed in" that has NO EFFECT on future logins. I have another icon on my phone that opens directly to "Find Nearby Caches". It appears to be a bookmarked page of my account because it has my user name and caching totals noted at the top.

My question is how do I get my home page in Geocaching.com to open with the same level of convenience?

Sounds like the same issue as this thread.

You say there are two icons on your phone. Do these two icons look the same? Can you describe what the icons look like, and what the text underneath the icon says? For example, is one/both a green square with a white geocaching logo that says "Geocaching" underneath...or something else?

If you can take a screenshot of your home screen, where both icons are visible, then that might help us help you.

I have an icon on my phone that opens Geocaching.com. When that site opens it asks for my user name and password. Yes there is a box "keep me signed in" that has NO EFFECT on future logins.

If the 'keep me signed in' box does not work, then not sure what to offer besides the tips in your previous thread that talked about Safari settings.

I understand your problem. You created a link to this web page on your home screen (the Add to homescreen option). When you press on the link and open that page, you have to log in again.

Have you tried deleting website data and then re-entering the log in information (assuming that cookies are enabled)? What are your safari settings? Does this occur when you open the website page through a browser, as opposed to a home screen link? Did you try deleting the Homescreen link and making a new one after doing the above?

Edited by geodarts

Have you tried deleting website data and then re-entering the log in information (assuming that cookies are enabled)? What are your safari settings? Does this occur when you open the website page through a browser, as opposed to a home screen link?

I have no idea what your question is asking. I open the site through an icon on my desktop. It open Geocaching.com

Have you tried deleting website data and then re-entering the log in information (assuming that cookies are enabled)? What are your safari settings? Does this occur when you open the website page through a browser, as opposed to a home screen link?

I have no idea what your question is asking. I open the site through an icon on my desktop. It open Geocaching.com

I would go into the iPhone Settings, and look at the safari menu. Make sure cookies are enabled. If they are, I would use the option in that menu and delete website data. It is possible that a Cookie or the browser cache is corrupted. I might even restart the phone after shutting it down completely. From there I would go into safari, rather than your homescreen link and log into the site. After dong that, when you close down safari and reopen it within the browser(not the homescreen icon) does the site retain your information? If it does, try out the link. If your link does not work, I would delete the problematic homescreen link and make a new one.

If, after doing that, the homescreen link does not work but you are automatically logged into the site when going through the browser, I might decide to use a browser bookmark rather than a homescreen link.

Edited by geodarts

I would go into the iPhone Settings, and look at the safari menu. Make sure cookies are enabled. If they are, I would use the option in that menu and delete website data. It is possible that a Cookie or the browser cache is corrupted. I might even restart the phone after shutting it down completely. From there I would go into safari, rather than your homescreen link and log into the site. After dong that, when you close down safari and reopen it within the browser(not the homescreen icon) does the site retain your information? If it does, try out the link. If your link does not work, I would delete the problematic homescreen link and make a new one.

If, after doing that, the homescreen link does not work but you are automatically logged into the site when going through the browser, I might decide to use a browser bookmark rather than a homescreen link.

Cookies are enabled for sites I visit.

Opened in Safari and set a bookmark. Used the bookmark to the I Phone and the same issue, it asks me to login.

It does not appear that I can insert a picture unless it is has a URL. I have the picture if someone can tell me how to include it.

Copy and paste is not an option

Adding photos to forum posts requires that the photo be hosted somewhere online. Some examples of image-hosting sites are: Photobucket.com or Imageshack.com or maybe Flickr.com.

Once your photo is uploaded to an image-hosting site, then it will have a URL link from that image-hosting site. Usually, it's shown under or adjacent to the photo when viewing the photo on the image-hosting site.

The photo can then be added to a forum post by clicking on the "insert image" icon and entering the URL link for the image.

A couple threads that describe this are here and here.

In some cases, having images in your post might be helpful and enable others to better understand what you're saying/asking. As the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words". Good luck.

Opened in Safari and set a bookmark. Used the bookmark to the I Phone and the same issue, it asks me to login.

I do not want to get repetitious, but did you use the Safari settings in the iphone setup menu to delete all website data? Again, there may be something corrupting the cookies. I would do that and then shut down/restart the phone just because it cannot hurt. After doing that, and relogging in to gc.com, does Safari retain the log in information within the browser - without using the homescreen icon?

That is the only thing that I can think of to try. Both the browser and the homescreen link work for me (iphone 6, running 9.1 beta). But if the website log-in works within Safari and other browsers, but not the homescreen icon, I would give up on the latter and use a browser bookmark. Good luck!

Edited by geodarts

Actually, I would try something else if all of the above does not work. From what I recall you are using ios 8.3 -- did you ever upgrade?

I do not know if you have the option to upgrade to 8.4 at this point, but some users in the Apple community forum reported the upgrade solved some of the problems they encountered after installing 8.3. I had problems with 8.3 because it did not support a bluetooth gps. There may be a reason why Apple replaced it. Otherwise, you might be left with 9 should you want to try the upgrade solution.

The other possible alternative is to try a different browser, such as Chrome, to see if the problem persists. Some people were able to work around 8.3 problems in Safari by doing this. A different browser would not give you access to the homesecreen link, though.

Edited by geodarts

It appears I have found the answer. If yu are using Safari in Privaye mode it will require the use of a user name and password. If however you are not Geocaching.com will open using auto fill.

It also appears you can move back and forth between Private and none Private mode and the user name and password will be retained and available in the none Private mode. This even survives a shutdown of the I phone and a clearing of history.

A Tech at Apple solved the problem.

It appears I have found the answer. If yu are using Safari in Privaye mode it will require the use of a user name and password. If however you are not Geocaching.com will open using auto fill.

It also appears you can move back and forth between Private and none Private mode and the user name and password will be retained and available in the none Private mode. This even survives a shutdown of the I phone and a clearing of history.

A Tech at Apple solved the problem.

Of course. Completely forgot about the private browsing option. Thanks for coming back and informing of the resolution.

As Apple notes:

Private Browsing protects your private information and blocks some websites from tracking your behavior.

Safari won't remember the pages you visit, your search history, or your AutoFill information.