Ok to log an accidental find

So a while back I went on a day of caching in a local park and when I went to look at the bulletin board with all the flyers of stuff to do the the area I found a micro hanging from a tack! Im still debating whether or not to log it as a find, what do you think?

So a while back I went on a day of caching in a local park and when I went to look at the bulletin board with all the flyers of stuff to do the the area I found a micro hanging from a tack! Im still debating whether or not to log it as a find, what do you think?

No I would not log that on line. You weren't intending to look for the cache and weren't actively seeking the cache. So you should not log it. How do you know which one you found unless you expected to find one?

Assuming it was an active cache I'd say you found it. I found one totally by accident and a couple other puzzles that I'd not totally solved, but was able to narrow down the search area to a N-S or E-W line of a known length. Had no problem signing those logs. :)

If you signed the log, then it's a find. Accidental finds are frequently mentioned here on the forum.

If you did sign the log, and are going to log it online, you can backdate the log to the day that you found it.

B.

Didn't mention in my first post, but I got into Geocaching because of an accidental find. A fellow Orienteer was out for a lunch break training run and happened upon one somewhere around Orlando Florida. He looked up the website and emailed me about this "new" thing to do in the woods between races.

Not long ago.i was camping and took the dog for a walk down a trail. Saw something I thought I recognized and sure enough it was a cache. I used my phone app to identify what cache it was, signed the log, and then logged it on line. I found it, I logged it. A friend was traveling cross country and upon leaving her hotel saw a spot that "screamed geocache hide" she checked and there was a new cache with an unsigned log. GC number was clearly listed. She wrote down the nbr, signed the log, and that night claimed the FTF whiled logging it on line.

I don't see where either of these finds could be interpreted as anything but legit finds. Found it, signed the log, logged online.

Edited for punctuation

Edited by SgtSue

I agree with the masses here. You found a geocache and you should get credit for that find.

If you found a geocache and have it in your hand (unless your are within a few feet of others you were searching with and they have it in their hands) and have the container open then you have FOUND the cache. Signing the log is proof for others that you found it and people can be quite insistent that you sign the log - including me sometimes. But having it in hand and open is always a find in my book.

It's a cache, you have it open in your hands, it's a find.

Given than the label on most geocaches goes something like "Congratulations you've found the geocache (intentionally or not)" you should definitely sign the log and attempt to log it online. Hopefully the GC code was marked clearly on it.

Edit: I found this:

https://www.geocaching.com/articles/geocachenote.txt

GEOCACHE SITE - PLEASE READ

Congratulations, you've found it! Intentionally or not!

What is this hidden container sitting here for? What the heck is this thing doing here with all these things in it?

It is part of a worldwide game dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System) users, called Geocaching. The game basically involves a GPS user hiding "treasure" (this container and its contents), and publishing the exact coordinates so other GPS users can come on a "treasure hunt" to find it. The only rules are: if you take something from the geocache, you must leave something in the geocache, and you must write about your visit in the logbook. Hopefully, the person that hid this container found a good spot that is on public property and is not easily found by uninterested parties. Sometimes, a good spot turns out to be a bad spot, though.

IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:

Great! You are welcome to join us! We ask only that you:

· Please do not move or vandalize the container. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone else who finds it.

· If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find, and write it in the logbook.

· If possible, let us know that you found it, by visiting the website listed below. [emphasis mine]

Geocaching is open to everyone with a GPS and a sense of adventure. There are similar sites all over the world. Currently, the organization has its home on the Internet. Visit our website if you want to learn more, or have any comments:

http://www.geocaching.com

If this container happens to be sitting on private property and you wish it removed, please let us know. We apologize, and will be happy to move it.

Edited by lth2h

No I would not log that on line. You weren't intending to look for the cache and weren't actively seeking the cache. So you should not log it. How do you know which one you found unless you expected to find one?

Would you recommend returning 2 minutes later, *intending* to find it, then finding it and logging it?

Would you recommend returning 2 minutes later, *intending* to find it, then finding it and logging it?

+1

I don't understand this. Even the stash note (quoted above) allows for accidental finds. You found it, you signed it, you log it.

We accidentally found a puzzle cache we didn't solve during a CITO event -- we logged the find, as did the other CITO participants in our area.

As others have said the trick is to know what cache you have found. A few years ago a friend of mine had a cache published and I ran out and "found" it. I dropped him a e-mail saying it was a great hide and a neat container, wanting to know where he had found the container I described what I liked about. A couple of hours later he replied, "I don't know what you found but that's not my cache." The next day we both went out to the cache site and I showed him what I had found and where I had signed the log... He said you warm but to cigar look again and about five feet away was a 4X4 lock and lock.. I opened it up and signed the log. After a little research we discovered what I had found the first time was an achieved cache that the CO must have put in a new log before moving out of the area and archiving his caches.

Just to add my 2 cents worth - I do NOT think you should log a smiley - log a note and let everyone know you found it by accident while not intending too! It is a funny and interesting log and adds to the log notes and verifies it is still there. Playing the game says you got the co-ords placed in GPS and searched for IT. To log a find you should be playing the game for THAT cache - anything else is a technicallity! I believe in the intent of the game and it does intend that you were LOOKING for it and as a result found what you were LOOKING for! IF it was one of my caches, I would truely not care what you did one way or the other and would take no action. If you are out there having a ball - I am happy for you!

Just to add my 2 cents worth - I do NOT think you should log a smiley - log a note and let everyone know you found it by accident while not intending too! It is a funny and interesting log and adds to the log notes and verifies it is still there. Playing the game says you got the co-ords placed in GPS and searched for IT. To log a find you should be playing the game for THAT cache - anything else is a technicallity! I believe in the intent of the game and it does intend that you were LOOKING for it and as a result found what you were LOOKING for! IF it was one of my caches, I would truely not care what you did one way or the other and would take no action. If you are out there having a ball - I am happy for you!

Mate!! You're overthinking this to buggery. He found it... and that's the point of the game, find the plastic box jammed in between the rocks. The coordinates are there to put you at the spot it should be.

What are you supposed to do? Walk around all the time with your eyes tightly shut for fear that you're going to stumble across a cache you didn't intend to look for? Are you now never allowed to log it as found because you never intended to look for it in the first place and from then on you know where it is without using a GPS.

From the stash note that GS provides to put in caches;

"Congratulations, you've found it! Intentionally or not!"

"IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:

Great! You are welcome to join us! We ask only that you:

• Please do not move or vandalize the container. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone else who finds it.

• If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find, and write it in the logbook.

If possible, let us know that you found it, by visiting the web site listed below."

Go find some caches before you have an aneurysm.

What if before opening the container the cacher does a quick "Find nearby geocaches" search on their phone, clicks on the "Navigate to geocache" for the cache they are on top of. Can they then log it after they sign the log?

What if before opening the container the cacher does a quick "Find nearby geocaches" search on their phone, clicks on the "Navigate to geocache" for the cache they are on top of. Can they then log it after they sign the log?

Find the cache. Sign the log. Log as "found it" online.

Accidental or not, you've found the cache. What does it matter whether you were searching for it or not?

I think the "accidental find" is probably a pretty interesting story that should amuse the cache owner.

Much better than the "found it" where the cacher didn't actually find the cache, but logs it as "found" any way, because they found the hiding spot, or the hanger or a lid.

:rolleyes:

I can't believe anyone would begrudge someone the "find" just because it was an "accidental" find.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I can't believe anyone would begrudge someone the "find" just because it was an "accidental" find.

Neither can I. I was trying to show the absurdity of the position that one shouldn't log "found it" online for "accidental" finds.

Edited by CV Kurt

Neither can I. I was trying show the absurdity of the position that one shouldn't log online "accidental" finds.

Oh, sorry about that. I didn't mean to step on your excellent example of ludicrousity.

That's not really a word, is it?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Neither can I. I was trying show the absurdity of the position that one shouldn't log online "accidental" finds.

Oh, sorry about that. I didn't mean to step on your excellent example of ludicrousity.

np.

That's not really a word, is it?

I think so.

Playing the game says you got the co-ords placed in GPS and searched for IT. To log a find you should be playing the game for THAT cache - anything else is a technicallity!

I think your interpretation is a bit too technical, actually. I appreciate the thought you put into it though. I don't think you will find many who agree with you.

I believe in the intent of the game and it does intend that you were LOOKING for it and as a result found what you were LOOKING for!

I am interested and quite surprised that some folks believe this. I never heard of this until this forum topic. I never would have thought of this interpretation and I've been at this game for almost 14 years.

Playing the game says you got the co-ords placed in GPS
What about those of us who have found caches without any kind of GPS device?

FWIW, I've found two caches that I wasn't looking for at the time. The first, I didn't log because it had been archived for years; if it had still been active, then I would have logged it. The second, I didn't log at the time because it was a challenge cache; I logged it later after I completed the challenge and found the cache again.

Playing the game says you got the co-ords placed in GPS and searched for IT. To log a find you should be playing the game for THAT cache - anything else is a technicallity!

I think your interpretation is a bit too technical, actually. I appreciate the thought you put into it though. I don't think you will find many who agree with you.

I believe in the intent of the game and it does intend that you were LOOKING for it and as a result found what you were LOOKING for!

I am interested and quite surprised that some folks believe this. I never heard of this until this forum topic. I never would have thought of this interpretation and I've been at this game for almost 14 years.

I am never surprised at the level of severity some people seem to be capable of.

That is a pretty orthodox, fundamentalist way of playing. As you can see from the responses so far, that is not how most folks feel, nor is it Groundspeak's position. But if it makes you happier to play that way, by all means do so.

That is a pretty orthodox, fundamentalist way of playing. As you can see from the responses so far, that is not how most folks feel, nor is it Groundspeak's position. But if it makes you happier to play that way, by all means do so.

If you are a cache owner, and you delete a legitimate "found it" log because it was "accidental", the finder can appeal to Groundspeak and have their log reinstated. If someone finds your cache and signs the log, there's no reason to delete it, whether it's an "accidental" find or a Basic Member finding a PMO cache.

I can't recall ever thinking that the "intent" is supposed to be that you are looking for a specific cache. Can't even think of where that theory could have originated.

B.

Just to throw this out there...

What if you created a difficult puzzle...or set up a long chain of fun hides for a multi-cache...and the FTF was some John Doe Muggle? In my own opinion - while I would never question the validity of their find or get upset, I have to admit it would be a TINY bit disappointing to see an important part of the process completely skipped, accident or not.

What if you created a difficult puzzle...or set up a long chain of fun hides for a multi-cache...and the FTF was some John Doe Muggle? In my own opinion - while I would never question the validity of their find or get upset, I have to admit it would be a TINY bit disappointing to see an important part of the process completely skipped, accident or not.

Might your disappointment be misplaced? Should you blame the accidental finder for the find or maybe someone else?

Might your disappointment be misplaced? Should you blame the accidental finder for the find or maybe someone else?

Who said anything about assigning blame? 'Blame' assumes 'fault', which in turn implies that something is wrong with the setup. It could be the most devious of hides in the most gorgeous and scenic location and it would still feel slightly disappointing to know that part of the effort of devising a puzzle or multi was not fully appreciated by someone...especially the FTF. There's nothing at all inherently "wrong" with them finding it. It's kind of like setting up a big surprise party and having folks hide in the back room...only to have the person you are surprising see all the cars and walk in the back door. The full effect was not fully realized. The party wasn't ruined, but the reveal was not experienced as intended.