Money in a Geocache

The most money I've found in a cache was $5 cash, or a $10 gift card. I used to leave $10 gift cards until it became common for one person to solve the puzzle and bring a car load of people to find the cache, and every one of them would take a gift card. Lesson learned. I'm still generous, but smarter.

Now I'll leave one $20 gift card for FTF, if the puzzle warrants it.  My most recent FTF gift for my cache has an estimated value of almost $75.  Not cash, though! That's a one-time deal.

Edited by Max and 99

Quite often I find loose change - pennies, nickels, dimes, and sometimes a quarter or two.  I don't take it, nor do I leave money.  Once I did find a dime on the ground near a cache, and dropped it in when we found it.  The "swag" I leave is wine corks, and some dollar store toys I've collected that I'll leave in kid friendly caches.  Typically though, I'll TNLN, just sign the logsheet and move on, and exchange/visit/photo op TB's if there are any or the ones I'm carrying need a photo.  I used to have little silver charms of a wine bottle with two glasses (given to me by a friend to leave as swag!) but I've given them all away!

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, colleda said:

I'm guessing it may have cost more to print than what it's worth.

I was in Zimbabwe (only for a day) about the time these bills were being printed.  The bill may have had some value at the time it was printed but was almost worthless a week later.   

I used to have a bunch of these that I'd put into caches as swag, and in the Online log I'd add "Took golf ball, left a million dollars"

fake-million-dollar-bill-pack-of-10-0730

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Quite often I find loose change - pennies, nickels, dimes, and sometimes a quarter or two.  I don't take it, nor do I leave money.  Once I did find a dime on the ground near a cache, and dropped it in when we found it. 

There was a guy around a few years,  who must have been breaking down his coin collection or something.

-  He'd leave mercury dimes in caches that he liked and had swag.  They're 90% silver.

I kept track of him enough I shoulda been nabbed for stalking.    :laughing:    

Thought it was worth leaving decent swag for 'em.   :)

One caching couple left a $25 gift card once for the FTF of a new container, and I did manage to find it, not that it was hard to get to or anything. Other than that, I've seen coins in a few caches. Sometime I'll leave a bit of cash in a cache, but nothing crazy, maybe $5 if the challenge is substantial enough.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, IceColdUK said:

Like this one?

3B27FEE5-B3C1-4125-8D70-F38BF0C017EE.thumb.jpeg.6ff6922f8bf8a29f31c29bad84976a5b.jpeg

This will be a FTF prize in a themed cache, if I ever get round to placing it...

I used to buy stacks of Zimbabwe Dollars -- never the 100 trillions, since they were a few bucks a piece -- but you could get 50x 50billion for like $20.  Always make for good trade stuff.

• Upvote 3

Found a $20 bill in a cache a few months ago. Did not have any smaller bills to place so others may find but that may be good because it was in a parking lot with a muggle about 100 feet away and who knows what he may be up to when I left. I do a lot of walking also not related to Geocaching and since 2004 have found over $800 in change ranging from pennies to $20. Have never found a .50 piece.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, IceColdUK said:

Like this one?

3B27FEE5-B3C1-4125-8D70-F38BF0C017EE.thumb.jpeg.6ff6922f8bf8a29f31c29bad84976a5b.jpeg

This will be a FTF prize in a themed cache, if I ever get round to placing it...

I bought a bundle of those 50 trillion dollar bank notes for my first cache I have ever made. I still have some of those 5000 trillion dollars I circulated thru the cache. :)

And yes... I also own one hundred trillion dollar note. The note is light  blue... your image of the note is negative - Is it a printing plate? ?

10 hours ago, arisoft said:

And yes... I also own one hundred trillion dollar note. The note is light  blue... your image of the note is negative - Is it a printing plate? 

It’s just a glossy souvenir copy.  I thought it would make a nice (themed) FTF prize.  Got it for a few quid off eBay.