Not signing logs

So I only have 29 finds but I love caching. The only thing is I never sign logs either I forget a pen or I'm just lazy <_< . Anyway I think I should start signing the logs, I know I'm supposed to but I just don't like to. I know Im gonna get many mixed opinions but what do you guys think? (Rant: So I started an account in April but I cached in boy scouts and known about caching for a while so Im not a Geo-noob just to clear this up)

Just don't get upset if a CO deletes your find because of no sig on the log. :)

I only sign the logs on caches like CJ's Airmail cache where it states you have to sign the log. I think I am gonna start to sign them though just incase.

Edited by Fisher513

I only sign the logs on caches like CJ's Airmail cache were it states you have to sign the log. I think I am gonna start to sign them though just incase.

Statements like that are often the result of someone complaining to Groundspeak that the CO deleted the on-line log. The CO is allowed to delete bogus logs. The best evidence of a bogus log is the signature on the logsheet.

Austin

I only sign the logs on caches like CJ's Airmail cache were it states you have to sign the log. I think I am gonna start to sign them though just incase.

Statements like that are often the result of someone complaining to Groundspeak that the CO deleted the on-line log. The CO is allowed to delete bogus logs. The best evidence of a bogus log is the signature on the logsheet.

Austin

Yeah I know like I said Im gonna start signing the logs. I have pictures of most of my caches that I found though and to be honest its about the find not the smiley.

Edited by Fisher513

You are right! it is your choice - you could play basketball with tennis rachet if you are at home, do what you want - but here you joined a public game agreeing to play by the rules. If you don't want to bother signing the logs or care about the numbers that is fine and dandy, no real problem. Just understand the game and realize your log is feedback to the one who placed it and knowing its is there or not is a great and wonderful thing. Sharing your experience in text is interesting to everyone and we would love to hear how it goes with you - especially if you have something neat or important to share. I love reading the logs of those who had a great time and got off the couch to spend time on a hunt! Yahoo! take pride in participation and trade with Jest!

Thats just my 2 cents!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

You are right! it is your choice - you could play basketball with tennis rachet if you are at home, do what you want - but here you joined a public game agreeing to play by the rules. If you don't want to bother signing the logs or care about the numbers that is fine and dandy, no real problem. Just understand the game and realize your log is feedback to the one who placed it and knowing its is there or not is a great and wonderful thing. Sharing your experience in text is interesting to everyone and we would love to hear how it goes with you - especially if you have something neat or important to share. I love reading the logs of those who had a great time and got off the couch to spend time on a hunt! Yahoo! take pride in participation and trade with Jest!

Thats just my 2 cents!

The OP is logging online, and more than just "TFTC". So, the cache owner is getting his feedback, at least. The real problem would be the possible deletion of logs, but apparently that is a minor concern.

Am I the only one picturing Toz right now?

5921f2ec23c70aec0b2ee0e9bd5ab87c.jpg

O the puritans!! Why?!?

You may want to sign the log just as a practical matter. If your name is not on the log in the cache, the owner is (almost always) justified in deleting your "found it" log online. Then when you want to look for caches, the unfound caches on the site will be a mix of those you haven't found and some you say you found but didn't sign. As you find more caches, it would become increasingly burdensome to sort out which ones you have already found.

There is nothing really wrong about not signing logs but you will eventually run up against a CO who is a slave to the "rules" and will delete your find because your name isn't in the physical logbook. Even a photo of the cache in your hand will not be good enough for them.

Plus, it's not just cache owners...I've seen plenty of local cache cops who will call out previous finders when they log their find because they didn't see their names in the logbook.

Signing the logbook is the easiest way to avoid any drama.

Signing logs is really easy :) If I don't sign logs it's not about me being lazy; it's about making (absolutely ungrounded) exclusions for myself from the rules and traditions of the game.

I don't want to spoil my reputation and I don't want to give poor examples to newbies, this is the main reason for me to sign logs.

The only thing is I never sign logs either I forget a pen or I'm just lazy

You didn't forget your GPS or your phone, did you? Why would you forget a pen? Whatever the reason, just fix the problem. Simple. Sure, you might still forget it occasionally... we all do. But to write it off as simply as you do in your post makes me think the "or just lazy" part may be more accurate. And if that is it... the answer once again is simple... stop being so lazy. You weren't too lazy to bring your GPS or phone, were you? Not to lazy to drive/bike/hike to the cache, were you? Not too lazy to make this post, correct?

This is an easily fixable problem.

You didn't forget your GPS or your phone, did you? Why would you forget a pen? Whatever the reason, just fix the problem. Simple. Sure, you might still forget it occasionally... we all do. But to write it off as simply as you do in your post makes me think the "or just lazy" part may be more accurate. And if that is it... the answer once again is simple... stop being so lazy. You weren't too lazy to bring your GPS or phone, were you? Not to lazy to drive/bike/hike to the cache, were you? Not too lazy to make this post, correct?

[blush].. I remember to always bring the most obscure TOTTs but often forget my pen. I blame the kids for stealing them out of my vehicle..

[blush].. I remember to always bring the most obscure TOTTs but often forget my pen. I blame the kids for stealing them out of my vehicle..

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book. I try to make sure I always have a sharpened pencil in my caches. If I go to all the work of creating a cache, it seems like it is incomplete if I don't supply everything that is needed for someone to enjoy my cache. If they went to the effort of finding my cache, I'm going to make my best effort that my cache is complete. When I'm out riding my bike, I might pull out my phone and see if there are any caches nearby. I've logged a few that didn't have anything to sign the log. I just don't carry a pencil or pen on me while out I'm riding my bike. If they delete my log, no big deal.

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book.

Yes, absolutely, me too. But that doesn't make me infallible.

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book. I try to make sure I always have a sharpened pencil in my caches. If I go to all the work of creating a cache, it seems like it is incomplete if I don't supply everything that is needed for someone to enjoy my cache. If they went to the effort of finding my cache, I'm going to make my best effort that my cache is complete.
The "old ways", huh?

Sure, we include a pen, pencil and sharpener when placing a cache, or maybe even maintenance, but when they're grabbed by the first Forgetful Fred who thinks "hey, now I've got a pen for the rest of the day!" you gotta say enough's enough.

Often, that same Dimwit Don's the one who now has some paper he needed for notes, by ripping out the back of your Rite In Rain pad.

Sheesh...

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book. I try to make sure I always have a sharpened pencil in my caches. If I go to all the work of creating a cache, it seems like it is incomplete if I don't supply everything that is needed for someone to enjoy my cache. If they went to the effort of finding my cache, I'm going to make my best effort that my cache is complete.

Nice to see someone else feels the same way. When I do a maintenance visit I'll add a pencil or two if it's gone missing. I can get 10 pencils for $1.25 at the dollar store (sometimes I get a better deal at the surplus store). Then I usually cut/saw those down to 3 small pencils. Pretty cheap.

I only sign the logs on caches like CJ's Airmail cache where it states you have to sign the log. I think I am gonna start to sign them though just incase.

The guidelines state you have to sign the log whether or not the hider says so. Feel free to not sign but don't gripe when occasionally one gets deleted

Edited by Walts Hunting

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book. I try to make sure I always have a sharpened pencil in my caches. If I go to all the work of creating a cache, it seems like it is incomplete if I don't supply everything that is needed for someone to enjoy my cache. If they went to the effort of finding my cache, I'm going to make my best effort that my cache is complete. When I'm out riding my bike, I might pull out my phone and see if there are any caches nearby. I've logged a few that didn't have anything to sign the log. I just don't carry a pencil or pen on me while out I'm riding my bike. If they delete my log, no big deal.

It has never been a requirement to furnish writing utensil. Most did but not a written rule and unwritten are not requirements

It has never been a requirement to furnish writing utensil. Most did but not a written rule and unwritten are not requirements

True it was never written anywhere in the guidelines but it was common practice. I still set up and maintain my caches to a high standard. Just like cache containers and log books having no written guidelines about size and quality has led to the over placement of small poor quality caches that deterorate very quickly in the elements and end up in many cases becoming trash once they are archived due to lack of maintenance. Just today with my two sons we found a well stocked ammo can (their first) with a pencil (from geocaching.com) and a large logbook. They spent 10 minutes deciding on what to trade for while I sat back and wrote a log entry and enjoyed reading the previous log entries. They left excited and couldn't wait for the next cache. To me, this is what geocaching is all about. While a pill box and a tiny piece of paper to log might meet the written requirements for a geocache, it certalny does not add to an overall positive experience as someone who has taken the effort and time to create a overall great cache. It's like comparing a local carnival to Disneyland. I want people to have the best possible experience when choosing one of my geocaches.

The guidelines state you have to sign the log whether or not the hider says so. Feel free to not sign but don't gripe when occasionally one gets deleted

You just said that for Toz' sake, didn't you? :lol: Come on... admit it.

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book. I try to make sure I always have a sharpened pencil in my caches.

A pencil pretty much fills up a Bison tube, doesn't leave much room for the log. :laughing:

And those pesky little pens made for nanos are tough to hold on to and easy to lose if you drop it.

I still believe in the old ways where it's the responsibility of the CO to supply a pen or pencil to sign the log book. I try to make sure I always have a sharpened pencil in my caches.

Agree completely with you, but the old ways now mesh with the new ways, where we have @#$#@ nano caches the size of my 6-month old's big toe. Good luck getting a writing implement of ANY sort into one of those, given that you can barely get a log strip in there.

Nothing irks me more than when someone adds a sharp pencil to the ziplock bag holding the logbook. Thanks for adding holes to what was a perfectly good bag. :mad:

I go out caching now with a mechanical pencil, a fine-tip marker and a pen. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that caches won't always have a writing instrument or that the writing instrument in the container might not work.

B.

A pencil pretty much fills up a Bison tube, doesn't leave much room for the log. :laughing:

There's a solution for placing caches too small to contain a pencil. I don't think I need to explain what it is.

Perhaps I'm not old timer enough but I hadn't considered it to be the *responsibility* of the CO to provide a pen or pencil. I consider it more a courtesy provided by the CO to do so.

The other day I dropped m son off at drum lessons and decided to walk over to look for a nearby cache. I didn't have a pen or pencil with me and hoped that the "small" container listed would mean that I'd find on in the cache. Turns out there was a pencil in the hide-a-key container, but it was so dull that it wouldn't make a legible mark on the pulpy mess of a log sheet.

There's a solution for placing caches too small to contain a pencil. I don't think I need to explain what it is.

Perhaps I'm not old timer enough but I hadn't considered it to be the *responsibility* of the CO to provide a pen or pencil. I consider it more a courtesy provided by the CO to do so.

The other day I dropped m son off at drum lessons and decided to walk over to look for a nearby cache. I didn't have a pen or pencil with me and hoped that the "small" container listed would mean that I'd find on in the cache. Turns out there was a pencil in the hide-a-key container, but it was so dull that it wouldn't make a legible mark on the pulpy mess of a log sheet.

Maybe responsibility is a strong word. But in the old days it was expected. At least in my area it was. Every new cache included a pen/pencil. This was before micros became the norm. But even film canisters, when they showed up, had a cut down pencil inside. Containers smaller than a film canister had not hit the scene yet. We would even mention in the cache if the pencil were missing or too dull to use. Or we'd mention if we put our own pencil in the cache because the cache was missing one, or if we whittled a new point with our pen knife. Things have morphed now so the norm is no pen/pencil in a cache. It was a nice touch, yet expected addition to the cache (a container with a logbook and a pencil) back in the early 2000s and it's still a nice touch, but not expected these days.

Austin

Yeah I know like I said Im gonna start signing the logs. I have pictures of most of my caches that I found though and to be honest its about the find not the smiley.

You might get some of the photos deleted. Like some COs prefer to have their caches evil. Like I delete photos on my caches because they are called "spoilers" it take the fun out of finding the cache if you already know what it is.