Heading to the Pocono's....Any advice?

ClevelandRocks

Ricketts Glen. Look no further for an ideal mix of spectacular scenery and a variety of well-placed geocaches ranging from very easy to extremely challenging. First off, do NOT miss the waterfalls loop trail... caches are not permitted in this delicate area, but where else can you see more than 20 waterfalls in the space of a few miles?

The caches:

RPA-21 Ricketts Glen is a quick dash into the woods from a nearby campground.

Paul-Mart: Watch out for Falling Water takes you past a very nice waterfall and then on a pleasant pine forest stroll.

Downtown Ricketts is a first-rate multicache consisting of a level walk through a ghost town, as well as a nice lakeshore view. It made the coveted "Leprechauns Top 10 Percent Greatest Cache Hunts" list (see our profile page).

Mountain Spring Lake Siding requires a long drive on a dirt road, followed by a peaceful lakeside stroll, ending with a fiendishly difficult cache hide (at least for my group!)

Hawk's Outlook is one long hill. Like spending an hour on a treadmill at maximum incline. Heart-pounder.

JQ-007 Ricketts Glen is a challenging multicache for the serious hiker (if done all at once), or you can pick off the individual stages while touring through the park. Another personal "Top Ten Percent" winner.

Finally, Ricketts Island is a hydrocache hidden on an Island in Lake Jean.

There are very few parks with such a nice collection of caches to please folks of all preferences and abilities. I highly recommend a day at this park as part of your itinerary. You won't be sorry! Have a great trip.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Here are 2 finds that I enjoyed: (5 Bears was a great hike. Norwal is fairly easy, but SO pretty! I won't give away the surprise attraction.)

5 Bears

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={D54C1E3C-F50D-4147-AAB0-2D1259111A47}

NORWAL PINES

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={4EC18059-6D18-4097-B8F2-2245FD9602BD}

...and these are 2 from my TO-DO list that sound great:

Pocono Cold Air Cave

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd28d64b-d5ba-4ca1-b909-6bbbe22fc54b

Wolf Rocks

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e01d471c-7823-46b0-a7a3-e0da7d364549

Have a great trip!

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Ricketts Glen...First off, do NOT miss the waterfalls loop trail... caches are not permitted in this delicate area, but where else can you see more than 20 waterfalls in the space of a few miles?

My patella has a dim memory of steepness and pain .... icon_biggrin.gif

I totally agree with Lep's suggestion of the Ricketts Glen, by the way. If I HAD to choose just one from that list, I'd pick Downtown Ricketts.

-- I am looking for cache recommendations for Salem, Mass. Got any?

quote:
First off, do NOT miss the waterfalls loop trail... caches are not permitted in this delicate area, but where else can you see more than 20 waterfalls in the space of a few miles?

Are you talking about Bushkill falls? I thought that would be a great place for a cache and was suprised there weren't any. There seemed like plenty of perect spots around there that would not be too delicate for a cache.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Ricketts Glen...First off, do NOT miss the waterfalls loop trail... caches are not permitted in this delicate area, but where else can you see more than 20 waterfalls in the space of a few miles?

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

Are you talking about Bushkill falls?

Nope.

We are talking about the beautiful waterfalls loop at Ricketts Glen.

I agree with Lep and Miss Jenn about Ricketts, and one of the caches is mine! I also recommend Hickory Run State Park and Shades of Gus. There are a lot down in the Jim Thorpe area, one on my list to do is Switchback Trail by my friend Tyson. And finally a must hit since you drive right by going to Ricketts would have to be Rich in NEPA's Seven Tubs. Rich is something of a legend in our area for making quality caches and great tokens that he sprinkles around the area when he is getting first finds with his caching buddy Zhanna.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation