5 Terrian Caches

So a while back maybe a month or so ago I went on a quest to complete a 5 terrain geocache. I had a rope, harness and another cacher to belay me, when we got to the climbing location both of us attempted to climb to get mailbox in a tree only to be slammed in the tree! Whats the most extreme 5 terrain cache you've ever done?

Edited by Fisher513

So a while back maybe a month or so ago I went on a quest to complete a 5 terrain geocache. I had a rope, harness and another cacher to belay me, when we got to the climbing location both of us attempted to climb to get mailbox in a tree only to be slammed in the tree! Whats the most extreme 5 terrain cache you've ever done?

None of mine have been very extreme. They fall into the following categories:

9 x Boat required

1 x Tree climbing - reachable with a tool from the ground

1 x Tree climbing - used a ladder

2 x Challenge cache where the terrain rating applies to the caches required to complete it

1 x Liar cache (ie. it really wasn't a T5 at all)

1 x Long drive on very rough logging roads (probably shouldn't be a T5)

1 x Moving cache (again, probably shouldn't be a T5, but I guess they set it at the max in case someone hid in such a spot)

We've done quite a few tech tree climbs - our favorite.

Our highest so far was 47'.

My other 2/3rds also happens to have a simple one - but then you know that. :laughing:

Cutting back on rock climbs, now that arthritus set in my hands and knees, but a little meloxicam and still good to go with simple routes, boulders, and cliff drops.

I have a lengthy "5" paddle-to that I gotta check.

Someone decided they were gonna "help me out" by moving the final.

I kept it simple because of the lengthy paddle (and there's nothing/no one around).

Sheesh...

Edited by cerberus1

We've done quite a few tech tree climbs - our favorite.

Our highest so far was 47'.

My other 2/3rds also happens to have a simple one - but then you know that. :laughing:

Cutting back on rock climbs, now that arthritus set in my hands and knees, but a little meloxicam and still good to go with simple routes, boulders, and cliff drops.

I have a lengthy "5" paddle-to that I gotta check.

Someone decided they were gonna "help me out" by moving the final.

I kept it simple because of the lengthy paddle (and there's nothing/no one around).

Sheesh...

Haha your the one who placed the cache! You son of a gun you made me smash into a tree!

108 Finds on T5 caches, but they really tell the tale of T5 in Florida.

99 are T5 because they require a kayak or boat (includes several events)

4 long multis not requiring boats, only maybe one of which deserves the T5 (due to year-round wading, often extensive). One was a 4/4 that was later raised to a 5/5 without being changed (I think it was more like a 3.5/4.5). One is a 5/5 mostly because it was a pretty big deal for 2005, but I would only call it a 4/3. One requires going through a seasonal marsh, which is anywhere from knee-deep to bone-dry which I don't think merits T5; more like T3.5 (It is a really cool cache though).

1 challenge cache & 1 bonus cache (rated T5 for the hike or travel required to find the qualifying caches)

1 former bonus cache now at the posted coords placed in 2004 (odd situation)

1 rated T5 because it "requires" 4WD (overrated; its on the Florida Trail)

1 overrated tree climber (I've climbed a number of T4 and T4.5 that were higher and more difficult).

I found it rather difficult to get many FL COs to rate tree climbing caches properly (many are only rated T3) and use the Tree Climb attribute accurately (often misused for any cache in a tree, even those not requiring climbing).

The highest tree climb I've probably done was 30 ft up a big ficus/banyan, with an honorable mention to climbing about 20 ft up a strangler fig or two. The most difficult have actually been a couple climbs there were only about 10 ft up, but due to limited branches were pretty tough on my upper body.

Edited by Joshism

Me and a cacher friend of mine, we've got a couple of wading/boat caches, a couple are T5 themselves, but the hardest of 'em all is the bonus cache, which requires you to find all caches! That means you've got to find a total of ten T4/T4,5/T5 caches. And of course, the bonus cache itself.