Logging more then one found its on a single cache.

So I found a cache and went to go and log it and saw another cacher posted multiple found its on different days weeks apart... Whats the deal with that stuff? I found a cache multiple times many times should I log it again?

Edited by Fisher513

Generally no. You've already found it once, you can't really find it again(you already know where it is, you're names already in the logbook.) some consider logging a cache multiple times cheesy, or cheating.

There are a few exceptions. For example, maybe it's not intention, maybe a log got sent twice. Maybe it a (grandfathered) virtual cache that moves. While it's the same GC number and page, it moves to a different location, so it's like finding a different cache.

In the end, only the person logging it knows why. And they're the ones getting cheated, not other cachers, or the cache owner (although they can delete multiple logs if they so choose)

Looking at some of the last few cases you've logged, I really don't see it. One person logged twice on the same day with "TFTC" which seems like an accidental double log from an app. A few others have multiple logs by the same cacher on different days. But the logs are different. For example a DNF, Then a Found It (they didn't find it, then came back and did. They logged as such. Nothing wrong with that) Or a Found It and Needs Maintenance. (Those 2 are 2 different logs that accomish different things. The cache found it, and the cache needs some maintenance.

Sometimes it's just ignorance. I don't usually revisit caches, but occasionally it happens when I need to drop off a TB or on a new geotour that incorporates caches I've already found. Since I needed to log that I'd been there, I used "found it" without understanding I should have used "write note." Once I learned of my mistake, I went back and corrected the logs, but they would still be there if I'd never found out. (Lost eight "finds" for that!)

If it was my cache, I would quietly delete the extra finds based on the assumption that they were an honest mistake.

If it wasn't my cache, I would assume that the cache owner can take care of his/her own business and not worry about someone else's find count.

If it was my cache, I would quietly delete the extra finds based on the assumption that they were an honest mistake.

If it wasn't my cache, I would assume that the cache owner can take care of his/her own business and not worry about someone else's find count.

This is generally what I find to be the lowest stress, easiest way to handle the situation.

I will add, however, that I would also email the logger when I delete their extra finds so that they can learn a bit. Most of the cases on my caches where I've deleted extra "Found It" logs the finder responds that they didn't know it happened and must have made a mistake with the app, etc. I take them at their word, give them a virtual high-five, and move on.

If it isn't my cache, all I do is hope that the owner will someday realize and make the audit of their cache and take care of the extras. That would be ideal so that the message is uniform about "1 find=1 log"...but all we can really do is "police" ourselves and our own caches, logging NM or NA when necessary.

(Speaking of...since an owner is responsible for the cache itself and the listing, what do people think of a situation where someone might log a NM for the owner to "clean up" their online logs on their cache page(s)?)

(Speaking of...since an owner is responsible for the cache itself and the listing, what do people think of a situation where someone might log a NM for the owner to "clean up" their online logs on their cache page(s)?)

That sounds a little dicey. If the cache is okay for others to find, it doesn't really matter to them if the logs are screwed up.

That sounds a little dicey. If the cache is okay for others to find, it doesn't really matter to them if the logs are screwed up.

Right. This is where other discussions on the forums come into play with this topic:

From the Guidelines:

Use of Geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer. The geocache owner retains all responsibility for their geocache listings. Geocaching is a constantly changing and evolving activity and as a result these guidelines are subject to change.

II. LISTING Guidelines: Listing guidelines cover the requirements that you, as a geocache owner, need to adhere to in order for your geocache to be successfully published on Geocaching.com.

Before a geocache is published on the website, a volunteer reviewer will look at the page for compliance with these guidelines. The physical geocache site is not verified. As the geocache owner, you retain all responsibility for your geocache listings and you are responsible for the placement and care of your geocache.

2. Geocache Maintenance

*Owner is responsible for geocache listing maintenance.

As the owner of your cache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache listing. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

If it's one of my caches, I email the logger telling them what happened and offer to delete their duplicate log. Most of the time they email me back saying thanks and they delete their own duplicate log.

Someone else cache not my problem.

And generally, I agree.

I do think it's important to remind everyone what their responsibilities are as cache owners. :anicute:

Quite often a cache is moved several metres for varying reasons.

I think it's sometimes okay to re-find a cache in these circumstances.

We had a cache that got moved a few times, several meters, due to maintenance on a park.

- You're saying it'd be okay to find it each move?

Sorry, but that's too weird.

Quite often a cache is moved several metres for varying reasons.

I think it's sometimes okay to re-find a cache in these circumstances.

We had a cache that got moved a few times, several meters, due to maintenance on a park.

- You're saying it'd be okay to find it each move?

Sorry, but that's too weird.

If it's a different container hidden in a different way, yes.

We had five different containers (actually one used two different times) while it was moved, so it'd fit its new environment.

So I guess there are some people who'd log the same cache on purpose five times.

Still weird.