attributes

4kidssearch

Well,I'm not a newbie cacher but I now first came across an attribute that I don't understand.

It's a white cross on a red square and the word to describe it is needs maintenace.

What does that mean as an attribute??

Usually needs maintenance is used to tell the owner there is something wrong with his cache.

4kidssearch :blink:

Well,I'm not a newbie cacher but I now first came across an attribute that I don't understand.

It's a white cross on a red square and the word to describe it is needs maintenace.

Usually needs maintenance is used to tell the owner there is something wrong with his cache.

Another cacher has posted a Needs Maintenance log.

The site adds the attribute, as many cachers using Pocket Queries filter out caches with the attribute. :)

Cache owner has to post an Owner Maintenance log, after doing the maintenance, to remove the attribute.

Well I am no ttalking about a needs maintenance LOG but a needs maintenance attribute listed bey the owner for his cache under attributes.

The site adds the attribute, as many cachers using Pocket Queries filter out caches with the attribute. :)

Cache owner has to post an Owner Maintenance log, after doing the maintenance, to remove the attribute.

Well I am not talking about a needs maintenance LOG but a needs maintenance attribute listed bey the owner for his cache under attributes.

The Needs Maintenance log posted by another cacher (usually) is what causes the Needs Maintenance attribute to appear. I suppose the CO could just list the NM attribute the same way he lists other attributes, but that would be unusual.

The "flag" NM attribute for the cache page is for PQs and such.

Means the same as the red wrench on searches.

For example, when I looked at finds you did yesterday, a red wrench shows on info for one that had a full log.

On that cache's attributes is the cross flag.

When/if the CO ever does Owner Maintenance, both will disappear, and only be shown on the history for logged visits.

Edited by cerberus1

Well I am no ttalking about a needs maintenance LOG but a needs maintenance attribute listed bey the owner for his cache under attributes.

It's all explained in what you quoted.

Hate chiming in late but this thread is close enough to not start a new one. The maintenance flag has a good purpose and from other threads I see I am not alone in my method of listing them.... go to PLAY and SUBMIT A NEW CACHE and Ta-dah! there's your list. Can't capture it, can't PQ it, can't download it, can't load it to your GPS, copy-and-paste in a document is about the only option. So I agree, YES, would make maintenance a lot easier if there was a way to segregate and capture maintenance flagged caches.

With that aside, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ABILITY TO EDIT ATTRIBUTES to remove the maintenance flag? On quite a few occasions a cache angel has replaced a wet or full log, or patched up the hide, and in some cases did some good work to help we owners out. We call them "nice people". There are also cases where a newbie accidentally posts a NEEDS MAINTENANCE log rather than FOUND IT or DNF and never responds to requests to change the log type. In both these cases, for an owner to remove the unnecessary maintenance flag, rather than editing attributes and removing it, we have to log a visit (that we didn't do), log it as maintenance, enter it, then edit it, then delete it. Geeze, next thing we'll have to swing a dead chicken over our heads, cut off the soles of our shoes, climb a tree and learn how to play the flute (sorry, slipped back into my Fireside Theater days).

So why was the ability to edit out the maintenance flags using edit attributes removed?!?!?!? Doesn't remove our ability to remove it, just makes it a real pain in the arsch....

And just read my tag line below on this subject...... sooooo appropriate!!!

Edited by infiniteMPG

Hate chiming in late but this thread is close enough to not start a new one. The maintenance flag has a good purpose and from other threads I see I am not alone in my method of listing them.... go to PLAY and SUBMIT A NEW CACHE and Ta-dah! there's your list. Can't capture it, can't PQ it, can't download it, can't load it to your GPS, copy-and-paste in a document is about the only option. So I agree, YES, would make maintenance a lot easier if there was a way to segregate and capture maintenance flagged caches.

With that aside, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ABILITY TO EDIT ATTRIBUTES to remove the maintenance flag? On quite a few occasions a cache angel has replaced a wet or full log, or patched up the hide, and in some cases did some good work to help we owners out. We call them "nice people". There are also cases where a newbie accidentally posts a NEEDS MAINTENANCE log rather than FOUND IT or DNF and never responds to requests to change the log type. In both these cases, for an owner to remove the unnecessary maintenance flag, rather than editing attributes and removing it, we have to log a visit (that we didn't do), log it as maintenance, enter it, then edit it, then delete it. Geeze, next thing we'll have to swing a dead chicken over our heads, cut off the soles of our shoes, climb a tree and learn how to play the flute (sorry, slipped back into my Fireside Theater days).

So why was the ability to edit out the maintenance flags using edit attributes removed?!?!?!? Doesn't remove our ability to remove it, just makes it a real pain in the arsch....

And just read my tag line below on this subject...... sooooo appropriate!!!

To get rid of a NM flag, you file an "Owner Maintenance" log. Simple enough for you?

If you could just delete a NM flag by "Edit...Delete", then a lot of them would get removed without any maintenance or checking.

This way, you have to at least STATE that you did something, you're going to do something, or someone else did something for you.

To get rid of a NM flag, you file an "Owner Maintenance" log. Simple enough for you?

If you could just delete a NM flag by "Edit...Delete", then a lot of them would get removed without any maintenance or checking.

So what if someone wants to remove the flag without putting much or any effort into it? If someone is that irresponsible they probably don't give a care if the cache has a maintenance flag anyway. All this does is make responsible owners grit their teeth remembering how easy it used to be. And if there was such emphasis on encouraging owners to DO maintenance, why is it so HARD to get a list of caches that NEED maintenance???

This way, you have to at least STATE that you did something, you're going to do something, or someone else did something for you.

Then when rookies accidentally do it we should also post "So-and-so is such a rookie they don't know how to log a DNF so we're removing the unnecessary maintenance flag".... ???

Wasn't broke, didn't need "fixing"....

So what if someone wants to remove the flag without putting much or any effort into it? If someone is that irresponsible they probably don't give a care if the cache has a maintenance flag anyway. All this does is make responsible owners grit their teeth remembering how easy it used to be. And if there was such emphasis on encouraging owners to DO maintenance, why is it so HARD to get a list of caches that NEED maintenance???

Then when rookies accidentally do it we should also post "So-and-so is such a rookie they don't know how to log a DNF so we're removing the unnecessary maintenance flag".... ???

Wasn't broke, didn't need "fixing"....

How hard is it to post an "owner maintenance" log?

Being able to delete the nm attribute without actually doing the maintenance is the lazy way out, I think.

Just deleting the nm proves nothing. With an "owner maintenance" log, it shows cachers that the cache owner is aware of things and can properly log his/her actions.

If the ability to just delete the NM attribute has been taken away, I see that as a good thing.

B.

why is it so HARD to get a list of caches that NEED maintenance??

Not hard at all.

http://coord.info/GC2J761

Needs Maintenance

01/17/2015

the log book was really wet. could not get to it without really causing damage.

http://coord.info/GC1HFBX

Needs Maintenance

04/23/2015

The bottom of the cache container has completely split open, log is getting damp as a result.

http://coord.info/GC1B31N

Needs Maintenance

10/11/2014

Water logged and full of ants

http://coord.info/GC18M0R

An "owner maintenance" log would have removed the NM attribute. A "write note" log won't do that.

Write note

10/03/2013

Checked on this six months ago and although was showing it's age, the final was fine. This isn't one that would be prone to grow legs and walk (or be easily muggled) so I'd hope it's still there. Will check as soon as I can.

Needs Maintenance

10/03/2013

I truly think this one is MIA and not just me sucking at finding the usual IMPG cache. It has been over a year since anyone has found it and I think the CO (Scott) might want to check on this one when he has a chance. Thanks!

"Disable", then "enable"...but no "owner maintenance", so the NM attribute remains.

http://coord.info/GC16Z2V

Needs Maintenance

04/03/2015

Fount it, but there is only Velcro on the item and not on the bench. Could blow/wash away.

Not hard at all.

Perfectly composed reply said the owner of 4 caches to the owner of 396.... might also notice I didn't remove the flags but very well could of, and who would be the wiser? Oh yeah.... me.

And things like Pine Nuts is a 100-lb tree trunk I hand carved the base for a lock-n-lock to fit in. Yeah, it's starting to return to nature but leaving it out there until it does. Not exactly like I'm going to replace that container any time soon but sure am not going to remove the maintenance flag. There's reason behind all of them, lack of responsibility isn't one of them.

Edited by infiniteMPG

Not hard at all.

Perfectly composed reply said the owner of 4 caches to the owner of 396.... might also notice I didn't remove the flags but very well could of, and who would be the wiser? Oh yeah.... me.

Oh, snap from an "experienced" cache owner.

*yawn*

:rolleyes:

In my area, the Reviewers will sometimes do a sweep of caches that have "needs maintenance" logs in place for a while. They will post a note to the cache owner to do something or say something on the cache page.

Posting "owner maintenance" logs is quick and easy and removes that pesky "NM" attribute, so the Reviewers don't need to get involved.

Some folks will also filter out any caches with "NM" attributes in their pq's.

But I guess the cache owner would be the only one to notice that a "NM" attribute has been properly removed from a cache listing.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Oh, snap from an "experienced" cache owner.

*yawn*

In my area, the Reviewers will sometimes do a sweep of caches that have "needs maintenance" logs in place for a while. They will post a note to the cache owner to do something or say something on the cache page.

Posting "owner maintenance" logs is quick and easy and removes that pesky "NM" attribute, so the Reviewers don't need to get involved.

Some folks will also filter out any caches with "NM" attributes in their pq's.

But I guess the cache owner would be the only one to notice that a "NM" attribute has been properly removed from a cache listing.

The local reviewer is a friend and when she is treated with respect she returns the favor. Disabling a cache will get it archived if it's not fixed, not a maintenance log. I do not have one single PAG and put a boatload of thought, work, challenge and creativity into my hides.... every one of them. Easy to judge where you stand in the cachin' world when it's pretty equal between the folks who love your hides and those who hate them. I enjoy reading logs as much, if not more, than going out finding caches. Working 50-60 hours a week full time, hands on rebuilding/remodeling our home along with more landscape work than I want to think about (if I see another paver I'll cry), cache maintenance sometimes doesn't happen as timely as it should. If something gets archived, oh well, my bad.

Was just curious why the way I used to knock an unnecessary maintenance flag out changed to what it is. Understand the reason but to me it's flogging an unresponsive equus caballus.

Edited by infiniteMPG

Not hard at all.

Perfectly composed reply said the owner of 4 caches to the owner of 396...

For someone who has that many caches, the easiest way would probably be to do a Pocket Query. Set it for caches "I Own" and click the "Needs Maintenance" attribute under the "Attributes to Include" section, and you'll be given a list of all caches you own with that attribute.

Same here. After a few weeks a reviewer would post a note, if no action is taken the cache is "temporary disabled" and another 4 weeks later it's archived. The CO can stop this chain anytime by an "owner maintenance" or by explaining why it takes that long.

Sorry to the OP for going so totally off-topic...

A simple Owner Maintenance log takes a few seconds.

Shows something was done and let's all others know everything's now a-okay.

Hopefully the CO actually did maintenance...

I've always thought that owner maintenance logs should be used liberally.

Maintenance can be anything form replacing a missing container, repairing the container, replacing log sheet, cleaning out the cache and/or updating the swag, to just confirming that the cache is still in place after a few DNFs. Even maintaining the cache listing is part of geocache maintenance. I might not even hesitate posting an owner maintenance log if someone else replaced a log sheet or in some way performed some kind of maintenance but the owner maintenance log, to me, just means that some sort of maintenance was done and the log type is just a confirmation by the owner that it was done.

Maintenance can be anything form replacing a missing container, repairing the container, replacing log sheet, cleaning out the cache and/or updating the swag, to just confirming that the cache is still in place after a few DNFs. Even maintaining the cache listing is part of geocache maintenance. I might not even hesitate posting an owner maintenance log if someone else replaced a log sheet or in some way performed some kind of maintenance but the owner maintenance log, to me, just means that some sort of maintenance was done and the log type is just a confirmation by the owner that it was done.

+1

Gives potential seekers a warm&fuzzy that their potential experience might be pleasant.

+1

Gives potential seekers a warm&fuzzy that their potential experience might be pleasant.

Another +1

It's evident in the logs PP posted that people do not enjoy finding cracked containers with moldy soaked logs.