Our logs

-CJ-

Not possible without PAF. (when it's certainly possible)

What's PAF? A guitar pickup? :)

Phone a friend, for example when stages of a multi are missing.

Thanks for the easy puzzle. (for a long hiking multi)

Failed to get your point here. You mean that some people aren't accurate and use wrong logs they prepared well in advance?

People using lists with final coordinates and skipping the hike or the puzzle visiting finals only (if at all) and that can't be bothered with looking whether the cache they log is a 20-stage multi over 20kms or a 1-stage Unknown.

Phone a friend, for example when stages of a multi are missing.

Thank you. Yes, it's common too that a person complains about a cache which cannot be found without something or someone.

People using lists with final coordinates and skipping the hike or the puzzle visiting finals only (if at all) and that can't be bothered with looking whether the cache they log is a 20-stage multi over 20kms or a 1-stage Unknown.

I see.

I disagree with #6. If there is a problem with the cache, the owner and those looking for it need to know. I've run into a few caches that were some distance from their published coords (over 200' in one case). I've also done a couple near poison ivy and stinging nettles that should have the "poisonous plants" attribute.

200' is one thing. But I've seen complaints that they were 10' off. Really?!

Sometimes they're not complaints. Just factual information that may help the next finder. These days with apps and crappy new garmins (I had a lemon of a 62s) it does help to read if someone else was off and by how much.

10' error is noise. Especially when you consider the hider's unit could be off by 10' and the finder's unit can be off by as much as 10'. It should be expected that the container could be 10' from where your receiver says it is.

I think there are people that just don't know how the GPS system works and what the limitations are.

Oh 10 feet, I was thinking meters. 10 feet = 3 meters. Yes, 10 feet is noise. I'm still cool if someone wants to add that they found it 10 feet from ground zero.

Everyone knows there are wasps and what a nest looks like. Mentioning it would be ridiculous.

The difference is just that wasps nests are by far not as frequent as are stinging nettles in my country and moreover wasp nests can cause a real danger not only to allergic people.

It would be difficult for me to come up with a longer list of non urban caches (the majority of my finds) where I did not encounter stinging nettles at least somewhere along the way.

Cache around here is understand as the whole hunt, not only the container. I tend to think that this also influences the way attributes are used which is quite regionally influenced (more than one would guess).

Only 32 of close to 4000 caches I found have the poisonous plant attribute set - one I can remember has set it to deadly nightshade being very close to the cache. Noone around here would understand the poisonous plant attribute for stinging nettles (what AnnaMoritz wrote points in the same direction and her list is a good list of the plants that might be lead to setting the attribute in our region).

Everyone knows there are wasps and what a nest looks like. Mentioning it would be ridiculous.

The difference is just that wasps nests are by far not as frequent as are stinging nettles in my country and moreover wasp nests can cause a real danger not only to allergic people.

It would be difficult for me to come up with a longer list of non urban caches (the majority of my finds) where I did not encounter stinging nettles at least somewhere along the way.

Cache around here is understand as the whole hunt, not only the container. I tend to think that this also influences the way attributes are used which is quite regionally influenced (more than one would guess).

Only 32 of close to 4000 caches I found have the poisonous plant attribute set - one I can remember has set it to deadly nightshade being very close to the cache. Noone around here would understand the poisonous plant attribute for stinging nettles (what AnnaMoritz wrote points in the same direction and her list is a good list of the plants that might be lead to setting the attribute in our region).

So in Europe, it's really important to prevent people from eating poisonous berries or mushrooms while they search for a cache. That's far more likely than walking face-first into a patch of nettles. I think we've all learned something here today, thanks.

So in Europe, it's really important to prevent people from eating poisonous berries or mushrooms while they search for a cache. That's far more likely than walking face-first into a patch of nettles. I think we've all learned something here today, thanks.

Two different things.

Indeed, using the icon 'poisonous plant' seems around here not quite the right icon for stinging nettles as you can eat them (young) as salad or like spinach.

Mentioning them in the description if the cache is in a field of nettles is another thing.

Whereas really poisonous plants can cause harm to people not aware of them, especially children that come along. Here also smaller children often are allowed to run far ahead and then wait at the cache. Knowing that deadly nightshade with berries waits there helps parents.

3. "#2814". It's cool to expose your statistics. Yes, it is already shown next to your log. We know. But it's obviously not sufficient. It's important to demonstrate that this cache was #2814, not 2815 or 2816. Your biographers care. (Please wait for me to bow down)

Perhaps you should consider other reasons as to why some of us number our found it logs rather than jumping to conclusions. That number to the left, under my name, tells me current count at an arbitrary point in time. A month from now is means nothing about the cache I've found. I number my logs so that I can keep some context or memory of the cache I've found. It helps me recall the cache in the event someone asks about it, for whatever reason. To think that some of us use find count as a way to call attention to ourselves is lame. If it bothers you, ignore it. But stop judging unless you've got the facts.

It sure is easy to judge.. it's far too much work to put critical thought into an idea.

Whereas really poisonous plants can cause harm to people not aware of them, especially children that come along. Here also smaller children often are allowed to run far ahead and then wait at the cache. Knowing that deadly nightshade with berries waits there helps parents.

Stinging nettles could also cause harm to children. It isn't ridiculous to mention them. It isn't ridiculous to mention berries, if you think they could be an issue.

It isn't ridiculous to make your best judgment call on when to use the attribute.

It is ridiculous to tell other people it is ridiculous to use an attribute for the very thing it is meant to be used for.

Stinging nettles could also cause harm to children.

Not in my definition of harm. It's an unpleasant encounter that any child around should experience anyway.

It is ridiculous to tell other people it is ridiculous to use an attribute for the very thing it is meant to be used for.

As I have already explained every cacher in my country I can think of will not think of stinging nettles when being confronted with the poisonous plants attribute.

In my opinion, the poisonous plants attribute should be reserved for situations where it is appropriate and where it serves as a helpful warning and not a statement

at the level "there will be grass and trees on your way" when going for a cache in a forest. If every non urban caches ends up with the poisonous plants attribute, the obtained

information from the attribute will be zero.

Perhaps you should consider other reasons as to why some of us number our found it logs rather than jumping to conclusions.

I think that you are missing the point.

The problem is when somebody writes only a number in the log.

If the number is just part of a larger log... no problem!

Stinging nettles could also cause harm to children.

Not in my definition of harm. It's an unpleasant encounter that any child around should experience anyway.

I wouldn't presume to decide what someone else's child should experience. If there's a big patch of it in a place that, in my assessment, could pose a problem, I'd use the attribute.

Nobody can make you use an attribute. You don't need to justify why you don't. There is no need to denigrate those who choose to be more conscientious.

Perhaps you should consider other reasons as to why some of us number our found it logs rather than jumping to conclusions.

I think that you are missing the point.

The problem is when somebody writes only a number in the log.

If the number is just part of a larger log... no problem!

Perhaps I did miss the point. And I wholeheartedly agree that lame logs suck. But I prefer to not lose sleep over it. :blink:

I wouldn't presume to decide what someone else's child should experience. If there's a big patch of it in a place that, in my assessment, could pose a problem, I'd use the attribute.

You can use the attribute whenever you wish to do so. As I said I think that mentioning stinging nettles if they are really close to a cache container cannot do any harm and makes sense (I prefer text

explanations to attributes as they are much more clear).

The typical and frequent encounter with stinging nettles on the way to cache containers in the course of a cache is however something where I think that mentioning stinging nettles and all the many other plants along the way that someone might encounter is not appropriate in my country. Think of a 10km hike which brings you to 5 stages and where there is no canonical way to all the stages. Apart from the fact that the locations where stinging nettles are to be found change over time, as I said almost every cache out in the nature would end up with the stinging nettles warning. There would not be any way to distinguish those situations where stinging nettles might really cause an issue e.g. to the point that someone without proper clothes will have to give up.

Someone going for the caches I have in mind will have had encounters with stinging nettles far before arriving at the first cache container (both in their life and on that day). That's not depending on any presumptions. If someone wants to avoid that sort of experience, they have to stay in urban settings.

If you ever happen to cache in Europe outside of cities, be prepared to encounter stinging nettles at caches without any sort of warning. They just do not fit to what cachers around here understand as poisonous plant.

Edited by cezanne

You can use the attribute whenever you wish to do so. As I said I think that mentioning stinging nettles if they are really close to a cache container cannot do any harm and makes sense (I prefer text

explanations to attributes as they are much more clear).

The typical and frequent encounter with stinging nettles on the way to cache containers in the course of a cache is however something where I think that mentioning stinging nettles and all the many other plants along the way that someone might encounter is not appropriate in my country. Think of a 10km hike which brings you to 5 stages and where there is no canonical way to all the stages. Apart from the fact that the locations where stinging nettles are to be found change over time, as I said almost every cache out in the nature would end up with the stinging nettles warning. There would not be any way to distinguish those situations where stinging nettles might really cause an issue e.g. to the point that someone without proper clothes will have to give up.

Someone going for the caches I have in mind will have had encounters with stinging nettles far before arriving at the first cache container (both in their life and on that day). That's not depending on any presumptions. If someone wants to avoid that sort of experience, they have to stay in urban settings.

If you ever happen to cache in Europe outside of cities, be prepared to encounter stinging nettles at caches without any sort of warning. They just do not fit to what cachers around here understand as poisonous plant.

Europeans: eat poisonous berries indiscriminately, impervious to stinging nettle. Noted.

Edited by narcissa

Stinging nettles could also cause harm to children. It isn't ridiculous to mention them. It isn't ridiculous to mention berries, if you think they could be an issue.

It isn't ridiculous to make your best judgment call on when to use the attribute.

Stinging nettles are simply a very temporary irritant, not a poison, and they cause less harm than a mosquito bite. Learn what Jewelweed is and you will have an almost instant antidote that frequently grows nearby.

I'm still cool if someone wants to add that they found it 10 feet from ground zero

L0ne.R, it's not about witnessing a fact of successful search, or meters, or feet. It's about when someone proudly announces that his kung-fu is better then mine (the original coordinates are wrong because his device showed something different). Bugs happen so I'm happy to know that visitors help to make coordinates more accurate but this could be done in different manner. Newbies often hurry to claim their coordinates to be correct (of course, a brand new GPS receiver ($500) cannot be wrong).

The problem is when somebody writes only a number in the log

Kelux, thank you for understanding.

msrubble, artificial acronyms, interesting. I suppose it's a language issue: in our community we rarely use acronyms. The Russian variant of the game had its tradition of long logs, full stories about "how I got there and what I saw there". Nowadays Russian cachers use "TFTC" but this is the only acronym which is popular: the level of knowledge of English language is low and prevents any experiments. Still, your point should probably be included in the list because people can run into "home-made" acronyms while reading other logs.

Edited by -CJ-

Stinging nettles are simply a very temporary irritant, not a poison, and they cause less harm than a mosquito bite. Learn what Jewelweed is and you will have an almost instant antidote that frequently grows nearby.

Hm, I must have a bad reaction to nettles, then. It's definitely much worse than a mosquito bite. I swell up quite a bit and it's very painful for a fair amount of time.

Hm, I must have a bad reaction to nettles, then. It's definitely much worse than a mosquito bite. I swell up quite a bit and it's very painful for a fair amount of time.

I think it also depends on the mosquito bite (and on the type of nettles too). Sometimes I end up with mosquito bites which are much more painful and where the swelling is very well visible for several days.

So what plants do you consider poisonous?

The theme about poisonous plants and insects deserves its own thread :)

Yeah, it doesn't come up much here - perhaps because it's an international forum and the plants differ a lot between regions. The local groups I lurk in occasionally have some uproar about everyone going blind from giant hog weed, or some hocus pocus remedy for poison ivy.

I get a pretty bad rash after contact with stinging nettle, with red marks that last even after the swelling goes away. But I have never, ever, in my life had poison ivy even though I'm outdoors often, in a place where it's common.

I'd still warn others about it.

All this talk of stinging nettles...I can't say I even know what they look like. I'd be willing to bet that most people don't.

Related...In Googling "stinging nettle", I ran across this interesting article: Stinging nettle and flying biscuit cases see Norfolk's violent crime rate rise

So I guess we need another attribute for "dangerous weapons and tasty breakfasts nearby".

I have learned what they look like because they grow in our backyard and up through the boards on our deck. I discovered them the hard way, the first time. :(

I think it also depends on the mosquito bite (and on the type of nettles too). Sometimes I end up with mosquito bites which are much more painful and where the swelling is very well visible for several days.

And, of course, mosquitos can carry malaria or dengue fever.

And, of course, mosquitos can carry malaria or dengue fever.

Or Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).

From The CDCP: "EEE is one of the most severe mosquito-transmitted diseases in the United States with approximately 33% mortality and significant brain damage in most survivors."

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

One more log which should be mentioned, a really short one: "Found it". Why? Someone can see your smiley and think you're just kidding. This log is to confirm to the world that you really found this cache.

Well, a friend of mine uses this type of log (gefunden in German) when she either has some personal issues with the cache hider (or they with her) or when she does not want to comment on a cache for certain reasons

(or got her log deleted or got an impolite mail about her original log). I'm aware of others who use a similar approach and who do not use TFTC in such cases.

All this talk of stinging nettles...I can't say I even know what they look like. I'd be willing to bet that most people don't.

I'd say that in areas where stinging nettles are common, everyone know how they look like from a certain age on. Like onbam4 I'd say that

caching days without encounter with stinging nettles are hardly existent for me. The lesson to be learnt is yet again that attributes are influenced by

the caching region and that it makes sense to inform oneself before going for hikes (not necessarily only cache-related ones) in an unfamiliar area.

The lesson to be learnt is yet again that attributes are influenced by

the caching region and that it makes sense to inform oneself before going for hikes (not necessarily only cache-related ones) in an unfamiliar area.

Exactly. We will be in Tasmania later this year and I already made sure to know why there's a "poisonous animals" attribute for a lot of caches. Locals told me there are 3 kinds of snakes and I don't have to learn to recognize them, all three are poisonous :lol: I guess just reaching in to get a cache like we can do here will be a bad idea over there.

When traveling some basic knowledge of the area is the least you can expect. (and as I wrote in another thread, some "GBV").

The lesson to be learnt is yet again that attributes are influenced by

Exactly. We will be in Tasmania later this year and I already made sure to know why there's a "poisonous animals" attribute for a lot of caches. Locals told me there are 3 kinds of snakes and I don't have to learn to recognize them, all three are poisonous :lol: I guess just reaching in to get a cache like we can do here will be a bad idea over there.

When traveling some basic knowledge of the area is the least you can expect. (and as I wrote in another thread, some "GBV").

On the cache listing for one that I found in Tanzania a few years ago the CO warned against reaching into the hiding spot without looking first. There were a bunch of giant millipedes all over the hiding spot that were pretty easy to avoid but I didn't expect to have about a dozen tse-tse flies in the vehicle I was in just a short time later.

I would include poison ivy, oak and sumac. Stinging nettles are more of a PITA. It hurts for a short time and you are done. I've sucked it up and waded through fields of stinging nettle in shorts going after caches (something I would not try with PI). The pain is usually gone by the time I get home, and if not a shot of Benadryl or similar spray will take care of it and I'm fine by morning. The others can cause significant discomfort for days. I'm with Knowschad, nettles are a temporary irritant and not worthy of the poisonous plant attribute.

Edited by briansnat

Nettles seems pretty nasty to me, but perhaps since I've never had contact with something like poison oak, I don't know how bad it can get.

It's torture for me. They have an effect similar to a bee sting on me. No way I would wade through a field of nettles. In my area (Ontario) they are sporadic, I have yet to successfully identify them until I've touched them, there's nothing all that distinct about them. I appreciate a heads up. An attribute couldn't hurt. It's a nice courtesy. Putting that information in the cache description is also appreciated and warnings posted by current finders is also appreciated.

No way I would wade through a field of nettles.

I would not either without long trousers which I always wear for caching anyway.

I appreciate a heads up. An attribute couldn't hurt. It's a nice courtesy.

In my opinion it would however to be a new attribute and not the poisonous one for several reasons already discussed here.

Putting that information in the cache description is also appreciated and warnings posted by current finders is also appreciated.

If stinging nettles are sporadic in your area, that could make sense. If stinging nettles are something one encounters on almost every cache walk somewhere, then what you ask for

is not reasonable any longer.

I also wonder whether the reaction of people to exposure to stinging nettles could also depend (among other factors) on previous exposures (probably already in child age).

Cezanne

While I won't go for a poisonous plant icon in case of stinging nettles there is really no harm mentioning them if there is a field of them around the cache.

You never know where the next cacher is from, maybe this cache is their very first outdoor experience.

I don't know whether this is only a fairy-tale that works on stinging nettles here in my country but when I was still a child I was told 'When you have to cross stinging nettles take a breath before and don't breath while touching them, only afterwards'.

It really helped while playing hide-and-seek or cops-and-robbers in the stinging-nettles-infested woods and fallow land.

It's similar to cutting hot onion while keepig a gulp of cold water in the mouth in order not having to cry.

Edited by AnnaMoritz

While I won't go for a poisonous plant icon in case of stinging nettles there is really no harm mentioning them if there is a field of them around the cache.

I guess you mean around the/a cache container, right? I do not appreciate such caches anyway where containers are hidden such that one has to cross a field of stinging nettles and I have given up on some caches of that type.

My issue with mentioning stinging nettles rather comes from the fact that I almost always encounter stinging nettles

somewhere on my way to the final container but of course by far less frequently I encounter stinging nettles really close to a container to be searched for. Most of the times I ended up with fights with larger areas

of stinging nettles was on the way to a stage or to a container and often I used my own suboptimal approach as I did not know that a better one would have existed.

Poisin oak, poison ivy, poison sumac. I eat nettles.

I suppose your system could have a more severe reaction to them, I don't enjoy running into them (unless I'm looking for some to eat) but if and when I do make contact with them, there is usually Jewelweed nearby (at least here in the midwest) and the juices from the stems are very much like aloe vera and are very soothing to the itch (not so sure I buy into the "cure for poison ivy" lore that often goes with jewelweed, though)

From Steve Brill's site: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Nettle.html

Nettles sting you because the hairs are filled with formic acid, histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), plus unknown compounds.

With the caveat that I've never encountered stinging nettles, it sounds from their description - and the level of hazard they pose - that they might better belong under an extension of the "thorns" attribute than under the "poisonous plants" attribute.

Edited by Voltgloss

Sounds like this would make a great drinking game - every time someone says "stinging nettles" you take a drink.

My peeve on the logs is the single log entry detailing the entire day's finds cut and pasted into 50 different caches. It never fails, I am on #49 looking for a hint in the logs, and I have to scroll through pages of unrelated logs. Then I move on to the next cache...same thing again...and again.

I dictate my logs on my phone, so I can say something personal about each one while it is still fresh in my mind, and without much typing. Even an easy find might get a note about something clumsy I did on the way there.

Edited by geekgrl1

With the caveat that I've never encountered stinging nettles, it sounds from their description - and the level of hazard they pose - that they might better belong under an extension of the "thorns" attribute than under the "poisonous plants" attribute.

I agree. Thorns would be appropriate.

I agree. Thorns would be appropriate.

Yeah, seems better than just not mentioning it at all.

For the record (and for the sake of forum-esque pedantry), though, they sting because they have tiny drops of formic acid on the hairs, not because they are sharp.