Help! Getting back into the sport

mrbeachroach

Hello, fellow geocachers. I love geocaching and have take. A break for several years but now my kids are wanting to start doing it they are 9,7,5 so perfect ages now. I have a few questions for you all.

First My old Gps is ancient. I thing it was the first garmen ever made. I have an iPhone. What is the best compass or app to manually enter and see lat and long coordinates (that will actually take you there also) so i can enter and also start new Caches that I will create? So I need a way of seeing my last and long coordinate in real time so I can create a new cache for users.

Second). What is new in geocaching? It's been about 5 years since I actively hunted.

3rd). My old caches were archived due to muggles/ and maintenance issues. If I wanted to restart the old caches and have them up and running is there a way to do that? Or do I have to restart everything?

4th. I never had a paid membership, and it seams that it may be more important now than ever, as the new intro app is getting a lot of new cachers that don't care much about the sport? So can someone sell me on the idea of having a paid membership as I never have but am interested.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to contributing and creating some great caches for my fellow geocachers!

Hello, fellow geocachers. I love geocaching and have take. A break for several years but now my kids are wanting to start doing it they are 9,7,5 so perfect ages now. I have a few questions for you all.

First My old Gps is ancient. I thing it was the first garmen ever made. I have an iPhone. What is the best compass or app to manually enter and see lat and long coordinates (that will actually take you there also) so i can enter and also start new Caches that I will create? So I need a way of seeing my last and long coordinate in real time so I can create a new cache for users.

Second). What is new in geocaching? It's been about 5 years since I actively hunted.

3rd). My old caches were archived due to muggles/ and maintenance issues. If I wanted to restart the old caches and have them up and running is there a way to do that? Or do I have to restart everything?

4th. I never had a paid membership, and it seams that it may be more important now than ever, as the new intro app is getting a lot of new cachers that don't care much about the sport? So can someone sell me on the idea of having a paid membership as I never have but am interested.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to contributing and creating some great caches for my fellow geocachers!

1 - Try Groundspeaks own apps for phones.

Either the free/trial/basic app. (Is limited, but GS are adding to it) Groundspeaks Paid for/advanced/backwoods app.

Both work without Premium Membership, the free one is very limited in this case!

Or one of the many from Groundspeaks approved http://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/.

2 - Lots new!

3 - Re-write and resubmit. Doubt a Reviewer will unarchive them.

4 - Premium Membership is NOT more important.

Admittedly the free app shows more caches to Premium Members, but the paid for app will show more caches without Premium Membership - for a lot less money!

First...Welcome back! I can't answer the question about the iPhone, I use some old GPS units, a GPS12, and yellow eTrex (both garage sale finds for just few bucks, but in like new condition). My "new" unit is an eTrex Legend H, but that is with my son down in N. Carolina. I would recommend that you take the kids out and find a bunch to get a feel for what's new and what caches in your area are like now. Hopefully there are some larger caches with some cool stuff for the kids to trade. Good luck and enjoy. The best times I had caching were with my son when we first started back in 2009.

My old caches were archived due to muggles/ and maintenance issues. If I wanted to restart the old caches and have them up and running is there a way to do that? Or do I have to restart everything?

- snip -

I'm looking forward to contributing and creating some great caches for my fellow geocachers!

Seven of eight were archived by Reviewers for lack of maintenance.

Your last has a number of NMs on it now.

Have you stopped and picked up the containers after archival?