Newsletter

This week's newsletter had a subject line of "The Geocaching Road Trip '15 Begins Friday!" Mine arrived fine in gmail.

Check your spam folder, etc. -- you likely know the drill since you mentioned Comcast.

You can read about the Geocaching Road Trip at the Geocaching Blog.

Nothing in the Outlook spam folder. Last newsletter was on 9 June. I like to see the new nearby caches & events, although I also run a weekly PQ for new stuff. Just checking in case things have gone south again.

The newsletter I received on June 16th also included information about the "element14" campaign:

http://www.geocaching.com/element14/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06-15-15element14

Become a Circuit Design Engineer and help create a Connected World!

By connecting engineers, makers, educators and inventors to powerful ideas and the latest technologies, the element14 Community helps you to create solutions to everyday problems. We help you to make the extraordinary from the ordinary.

Now it is your turn! We have a project and you can help us to get it going!

We need your help to make connections between geocaches using the circuit board trackables, with them you will create virtual paths that bridge between geocaches and join together Scientific and Engineering landmarks of interest as shown on our “Atlas of Scientific Achievements”. These paths showing the journey of the trackables will become a virtual circuit connecting the world!

Step 1: Find one of 1,500 element14 trackable circuit boards.

Step 2: Use the element14 “Atlas of Scientific Achievements” to find a geocache near a landmark. If you know of scientific landmarks that we don’t have on our map, please add them. Either way, start or continue the circuit and put the trackable in a geocache.

Step 3: Take a selfie with the trackable to show your hard work and claim credit!

Upload and share it on element14’s Facebook, @element14, Google+ or the element14 Community. Use the hashtag #ConnectedWorld

Go here to find trackables near you and watch the circuit grow!

And information about "4 Tips for Becoming a GIFF Finalist"

The deadline for submissions to the Geocaching International Film Festival is approaching quickly (hint: it’s July 1). In order to give your film the best chance possible to become a finalist, here are 4 tips:

– Simplicity. Try to think of a short, compelling way to tell your story.

– More than a montage. Clip or photo montages set to music can be fantastic—but we see quite a few of these submitted. Doing something different can increase your chances.

– Focus on quality. We’re not looking for Hollywood, but everything is better when it looks and sounds good.

– Follow the rules. This should go without saying, but we’ve had to disqualify several top-notch films for not following the rules.

Read more tips for creating a GIFF-worthy film on the Geocaching Blog.

GIFF finalists will be shown on a 40’ screen on the day before Block Party in Seattle, WA. Not a filmmaker but want to see the films? Log your Will Attend for GIFF here. Speaking of Block Party—don’t forget to mark your Will Attend here.

B.

OK so what about this week? No newsletter yet by Wednesday afternoon. And I just realized I'm missing the week of June 1. No, I don't use comcast anymore for geocaching--switched to gmail months ago.

Same here, also on Gmail. I can't recall ever missing a newsletter before, but so far I haven't received one for this week. Nothing in the spam folder.

Has anyone received a newsletter for this week? @Groundspeak, has one been sent out?

OK so what about this week? No newsletter yet by Wednesday afternoon. And I just realized I'm missing the week of June 1. No, I don't use comcast anymore for geocaching--switched to gmail months ago.

Yes, there was one this week (22 June 2015)

Send in Your Geocaching Films!

Get your cameras rolling! The last day to send in your film for the Geocaching International Film Festival (GIFF) is almost here. The deadline for all film submissions is July 1. Need inspiration? Watch this collection of clips from the films that have been submitted so far.

Before you send in your film, be sure to read all of the rules and guidelines. For tips on making a great film, check out this blog post. When you’re ready, send in your film here.

If your film is selected as a finalist, it will be screened at the GIFF Event (GC5K6WQ) on August 14, the day before Block Party, near Geocaching HQ in Seattle, WA. Speaking of Block Party—don’t forget to book your tickets and register for the last Block Party ever. Come visit Seattle and meet folks from Geocaching HQ as well as other geocachers from around the world. We’ll see you there!

Find the Most Favorited Geocaches Around the World — By Type!

Cache Types Now on the Geocaching Intro app!

Traditional geocaches are the bread and butter of geocaching. You look it up, go to the coordinates and—Boom! It’s there. But as thousands of geocachers around the world discovered last summer, there’s more to the geocaching universe than just Traditional geocaches.

Geocaching HQ has been hard at work designing tools to make the rest of the geocaching universe more accessible. You can now find all geocache types, from Mystery Caches to EarthCaches to Letterbox Hybrids, using the Geocaching Intro app—and it’s easier than ever. Check out the latest additions to the Geocaching Intro app in the App Store or Google Play Store.

Ready for an extra challenge? Check out this blog post featuring the most favorited geocaches in the world by geocache type for inspiration. Then, earn your Fun with Favorites souvenir by finding a non-Traditional geocaching with 10+ Favorite Points.

I didn't go to the effort of including the links in the newsletter. I did put them in italics, so if you want the link, let me know.

Archived newsletters can be found on the GS blog:

http://www.geocaching.com/blog/category/groundspeaks-weekly-newsletter/

Seems like there's enough folks not getting their newsletters that a new thread in the Website subforum is warranted.

I get 2 newsletters each week. One to my PM account email and one to my Basic Member account email. Both of them are hotmail.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

It's rather odd. In another situation, I'm having issues because of having hotmail email address. It's to the point where I was considering getting a gmail address. But that wouldn't solve the bigger picture that's involved in that.

Hope Groundspeak can solve this.

B.

I've had some companies (marlboro is one) say my hotmail isn't an acceptable email (not sure what that's about), but I don't recall ever having an issue here about it.

Well, it's not a one time thing, as I didn't get one this week either. I did e-mail Jayme H, the Lackey who helped clear up the mess last time. Haven't heard anything yet.

It's always a good idea to write the general inbox through the Help Center, rather than to an individual employee. As with any company, people change job duties, take vacations, etc.

It's always a good idea to write the general inbox through the Help Center, rather than to an individual employee. As with any company, people change job duties, take vacations, etc.

You're right. I had thought of that, then found the previous thread and over thought. Off to the help center. Thanks.

Okay, here's a question: has anyone using a Gmail account received this week's newsletter?
I use Gmail, and the last newsletter I received was 3 days ago, with the subject "Don’t Forget: GIFF Submissions Due July 1".

Interesting. It seems like some of the newsletter emails just didn't get sent out at all. It does seem like Groundspeak has been having some server issues over the last few days, so maybe the newsletter-sending process got interrupted or something.

Okay, here's a question: has anyone using a Gmail account received this week's newsletter?

I'm on gmail and this thread has made me notice I haven't had one since June 9th (Get Ready for the Geocaching Roadtrip 15).

I've checked my settings and they all look ok - I'm still checked to receive them to my validated gmail address.. Checked spam and deleted and they're not in those folders. Weird!

Well, it's not a one time thing, as I didn't get one this week either. I did e-mail Jayme H, the Lackey who helped clear up the mess last time. Haven't heard anything yet.

After not getting a newsletter last week, I was going to write the general inbox through the Help Center, but noticed that they had some steps to follow that they thought might solve the problem. For Gmail they suggested "create a rule to ensure you will receive all emails from noreply@geocaching.com." That sounded good, but the rule they suggest just says "Never send to spam." Well, the newsletters were not going to my spam folder, but I tried this anyway.

Now it's another week, and yeah it's only Tuesday afternoon, but no newsletter yet. Am I being too impatient? Anyone get the newsletter yet?

There are a large number of people in New Zealand who have not been receiving their newsletter for two weeks or just this last newsletter . I can easily find the newsletter on the geocaching page but it doesn't have Megas, events and caches just published.

I have looked through this discussion and have not seen any suggestions.

I have checked my spam folder and made sure that I still have a check mark next to - receive newsletters via email .

Please help

Thanks Nellie

This week's newsletter had a subject line of "The Geocaching Road Trip ‘15 Begins Friday!" Mine arrived fine in gmail.

Check your spam folder, etc. -- you likely know the drill since you mentioned Comcast.

There are loads of people with the same problem. It's not in their spam folder and they want to see the information about Megas, events near them and new caches.

thanks

Nellie

This week's newsletter had a subject line of "The Geocaching Road Trip ‘15 Begins Friday!" Mine arrived fine in gmail.

There are loads of people with the same problem. It's not in their spam folder and they want to see the information about Megas, events near them and new caches.

thanks

Nellie

Highly recommend posting a new thread in the Website subforum to have a better chance of getting GS's attention.

A thread title of something more than "newsletter" would be helpful, too.

B.

I was just about to do this, but looked at one of my old newsletters first and saw this at the very bottom:

Add Geocaching to your address book to ensure delivery of emails

So I looked at my Gmail address book/contacts and saw that it was empty. So now I have added Geocaching to the contacts; we'll see if that solves the problem.

Meanwhile I'd suggest that everyone who is having this issue check their address books/contacts.

I was just about to do this, but looked at one of my old newsletters first and saw this at the very bottom:

Add Geocaching to your address book to ensure delivery of emails

So I looked at my Gmail address book/contacts and saw that it was empty. So now I have added Geocaching to the contacts; we'll see if that solves the problem.

Meanwhile I'd suggest that everyone who is having this issue check their address books/contacts.

The newsletter's address is noreply@geocaching.com. If folks are receiving other emails from noreply, but are not getting the newsletter, that could be an detail that needs to be stated.

Folks still having problems should post to the new thread in the Website forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333205

Details, details, details...the more details you provide, the better.

B.

Interesting, I just got a newsletter.

Was it the regular weekly newsletter, or the Geocaching Co-Pilot one, which comes from reply@geocaching.com?

I just got my Geocaching Co-Pilot newsletter/alert, and at the very bottom it states:

*The Meet Your Road Trip Crew souvenir will be awarded for attending a Geocaching Event, Mega-Event or Geocaching Block Party.

CITO events will be a part of the High-Five for the Earth souvenir, available July 31.

Guess the weekly newsletter contained an error. B)

B.