Starting without authentication?

st3phan

Hi there!

As an owner I love reading logs. Sometimes, they are quite short like "Thanks", "Found" or up to three other small words. So in these cases, I just look at the user 's profile and often I wonder why it is still possible to play the game without authentication! Til today you can register at GC without confirming any entries you made to create an account. Even without logging in you can mark geocaches as "found"!

startgccareer.jpg

As an owner and member I would appreciate, that new user have to confirm their accountdetails in an email send after registration. This will prevent them from adding email-adresses that don't work. After finding some caches they often want to hide caches too. Of course they should be able to. But in some cases you want to contact them. Without an validated emailadress it is not possible.

I think as a member you have to confirm the emailadress twice a year or something else. As an owner it is much more important. It is the only way to contact (the new messanger is still beta and just can be red on the webpage ...?)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

/s3phan

Hi there!

As an owner I love reading logs. Sometimes, they are quite short like "Thanks", "Found" or up to three other small words. So in these cases, I just look at the user 's profile and often I wonder why it is still possible to play the game without authentication! Til today you can register at GC without confirming any entries you made to create an account. Even without logging in you can mark geocaches as "found"!

startgccareer.jpg

As an owner and member I would appreciate, that new user have to confirm their accountdetails in an email send after registration. This will prevent them from adding email-adresses that don't work. After finding some caches they often want to hide caches too. Of course they should be able to. But in some cases you want to contact them. Without an validated emailadress it is not possible.

I think as a member you have to confirm the emailadress twice a year or something else. As an owner it is much more important. It is the only way to contact (the new messanger is still beta and just can be red on the webpage ...?)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

/s3phan

Welcome to the world of phone-caching.

Not a new issue, by any means.

Doing a search of just this subforum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=314004

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=307436

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=331851

B.

As the Pup Patrol mentioned, this is a widespread complaint. It's the reason most of my caches are now PMO, a move I disliked. Even this does not solve the problem, as it's possible to upgrade to premium without enabling a contact mechanism. However, most feel it's much less likely for a premium member to be uncontactable.

I'm under the impression that GS is taking this seriously and that some of the recent changes to messaging are related.

Edward

Edited by paleolith